Price on Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah/Mortha blu-ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Price on Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah/Mortha blu-ray

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Anybody got any clue why this particular blu-Ray set is roundabout $200 nowadays?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Price on Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah/Mortha blu-ray

Post by Legion1979 »

subatomic_Matt wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:30 am Anybody got any clue why this particular blu-Ray set is roundabout $200 nowadays?
Sony doesn't have distribution rights to those two movies anymore and the bluray went out of print because of it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:48 am
subatomic_Matt wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:30 am Anybody got any clue why this particular blu-Ray set is roundabout $200 nowadays?
Sony doesn't have distribution rights to those two movies anymore and the bluray went out of print because of it.
i was wondering, what's the status of the other Toho films Sony has the rights to? Are any of them going to go OOP soon?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:24 am
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:48 am
i was wondering, what's the status of the other Toho films Sony has the rights to? Are any of them going to go OOP soon?
That's a good question, one I don't know the answer to. It would appear that Sony had a 20 year distribution deal for King Ghidora and Mothra. But that couldn't have been the case for Space Godzilla and Destroyer since those two were released on home video in 1999 and still seem to be in print. But whatever the deals were, I'm pretty sure Sony plans to let the rights for these expire eventually.

Also, a mod should move this to the media subforum. Hell, these aren't even Millennium films.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Thanks for the answer!

I realized I’d posted in the wrong forum after I did but couldn’t locate a function to delete it. Sorry about that!
Last edited by subatomic_Matt on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

subatomic_Matt wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:10 pm Thanks for the answer!

I realized I’d posted in the wrong forum after I did but couldn’t locate a function to delete it. Sorry about that!
Don't sweat it, I moved the thread. Glad you got your answer. :thumbsup:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:24 am i was wondering, what's the status of the other Toho films Sony has the rights to? Are any of them going to go OOP soon?
Keith Aiken posted this on the SciFi Japan/Club Tokyo/Monster Zero forums back in November 2013:
kpa wrote:I was able to check Sony's film and home video records for the Toho films they currently own... the info even included when the rights would be up for renewal. They have all rights (theatrical, home video, streaming, television) in North America and assorted other territories for the following titles...

H-MAN (In Perpetuity)
BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE (In Perpetuity)
MOTHRA (In Perpetuity)
GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH (Renewal Date: 2019)
GODZILLA AND MOTHRA (Renewal Date: 2019)
GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA II (Renewal Date: 2023)
GODZILLA VS SPACE GODZILLA (Renewal Date: 2023)
GODZILLA VS DESTOROYAH (Renewal Date: 2023)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA (Renewal Date: 2023)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA II (Renewal Date: 2023)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA III (Renewal Date: 2025)
GODZILLA 1998 (In Perpetuity)
GODZILLA 2000 (Renewal Date: 2025)
GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRUS (Renewal Date: 2023)
GMK (Renewal Date: 2023)

Sony also has all rights except theatrical for...

GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA
GODZILLA: TOKYO SOS
GODZILLA: FINAL WARS
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra were the first Godzilla movies that Sony released on VHS tape back in April 1998, followed by Spacegodzilla and Destroyer in January 1999 and then Mechagodzilla in August 1999. It seems that Sony in 1998 licensed GvsKG and GvsMothra for 20 years (up for renewal in 2019) and then subsequently licensed the last three Heisei Godzilla films and the first two Rebirth of Mothra films for 25 years (up for renewal in 2023). It looks like Sony went back to making 20-year deals when they licensed GxM and GMK in 2003 (also up for renewal in 2023). With that in mind, even though Keith didn't list the renewal dates for GxMG, GMMG or GFW, it's a safe bet that Sony licensed each of those movies for 20 years rather than 25 years. That would make GxMG up for renewal in 2023 or 2024, GMMG in 2024 and GFW in 2025.

Although there isn't any official confirmation as to whether Sony renewed their rights to GvsKG and GvsMothra in 2019 or allowed their rights to revert to Toho, it's very likely that Sony didn't renew their rights to those films because that double-feature BRD set has been unavailable from general retailers and has been selling at inflated prices from third-party sellers since at least 2020. The same has been true of the various DVD sets Sony released containing those movies.

That means that the same thing is very likely to happen by the end of next year for every movie on that list that's up for renewal in 2023. That would leave Godzilla 2000 and the Tokyo SOS/Final Wars set as the only ones still available at reasonable prices by 2024.

The last time that Sony re-released anything Godzilla-related was in October 2016 to capitalize on Funimation's theatrical release of Shin Godzilla. Sony didn't release anything to capitalize on Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019 or Godzilla vs. Kong in 2021. Sony seems to be moving on from Godzilla. Get the Heisei and Millennium films on blu-ray while they're still cheap, folks!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

All right guys, if you haven't gotten the rest of the Sony blurays yet, you better damn well hurry up!

It's so crazy that Sony has been a name that's been involved with Godzilla for 30 years and that involvement is FINALLY coming to an end in just a couple years.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Well that convinced me to pull the trigger on the blu-rays. Glad I noticed this thread.

Not sure if this is totally relevant but I’ll wager the question anyways: When the rights expire, how long do you reckon it’ll take to get new releases for these movies from another company?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

CyberZilla wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:38 pm Well that convinced me to pull the trigger on the blu-rays. Glad I noticed this thread.

Not sure if this is totally relevant but I’ll wager the question anyways: When the rights expire, how long do you reckon it’ll take to get new releases for these movies from another company?
There’s absolutely no telling when. Maybe there’ll be a big push post-2024 for 4k editions. But that’s assuming the whole series will have new masters and receive domestic releases first.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

goji1986 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:50 pm
CyberZilla wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:38 pm Well that convinced me to pull the trigger on the blu-rays. Glad I noticed this thread.

There’s absolutely no telling when. Maybe there’ll be a big push post-2024 for 4k editions. But that’s assuming the whole series will have new masters and receive domestic releases first.
Toho will have to remaster them in 4k first and they'll have to release them on physical media in Japan before they'll let an American company do anything with them. And since nothing they've remasterd has been released on home media in Japan yet - with the exception of KKvsG - its probably going to be a long time.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Honestly I wonder who would work with Toho on releasing these films? The Criterion release painted a pretty negative picture, and home media is in a way different place than it was in 2014 when Sony dropped their Heisei/millennium blus.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Glad someone else asked about this. I completed my Godzilla Blu-Ray collection this year, with the exception of this 2-pack. Even if I loved these movies, I'm not spending over $100 for them. At least now I understand why they're so damned pricey.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I'm going to make the bold assumption that Toho is withholding rights renewal to reharmonizes the Hesiei series like they did with the Showa.
Last edited by Malchik on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Malchik wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:09 pm I'm going to make the bold assumption that Toho is withholding rights renewal to reharmonizes the Hesiei series like they did with the Showa.
Reharmonize?

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Toho withholding renewal options from Sony so they can sell the titles lump sum to another publisher like they did with Criterion and the Shows series.

harmonious:
adjective: forming a pleasingly consistent whole; congruous: harmonious colors.
Last edited by Malchik on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Honestly, I just don't think Sony cares anymore.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Malchik wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:35 pm Toho withholding renewal options from Sony so they can sell the titles lump sum to another publisher like they did with Criterion and the Shows series.

harmonious:
adjective: forming a pleasingly consistent whole; congruous: harmonious colors.
I mean, I could see that as a possibility, and it would be nice to have a complete “volume” set of that era, but like Legion said, it’s probably just Sony not caring.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I doubt Toho really cares as much as fans do about everything being under one roof. Besides, if they held Criterion in high enough esteem to leave money on the table just to save the licenses for them, why were they such a pain in the ass for Criterion to actually work with?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I am just wanting “Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah/Mothra/Spacegodzilla/Destoroyah” on single disc, widescreen Region 1 DVD releases. I can not believe that we still have not gotten them. I have seen the ones Mantis Video put up on EBay but they look like bootlegs and I have no idea at what their quality is like. It is definitely frustrating though, as I have been waiting years for these to get proper (official) DVD releases.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.