Recommendations for Kurosawa Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Recommendations for Kurosawa Films

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I've got a confession to make: I've seen very few films by Akira Kurosawa. In fact, the only one I've watched in full as an adult is Rashomon. I know we usually like to talk kaiju on TK but seeing as Kurosawa directed quite a few films for Toho, I thought this would be a good place to ask for recommendations. I've wanted to watch more Kurosawa films for years and now that I have a HBO Max subscription again, that's finally a possibility. So come on film buffs, where should I start?
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Recommendations for Kurosawa Films

Post by StardustGenius »

Yojimbo of course!

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Anywhere! Any Kurosawa is worth it

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

The easy place to start for Kurosawa, in my opinion, is Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Seven Samurai is, as I understand it, widely considered a contender for the best film ever made, so. I liked it. Gonna need to rewatch it someday.

Yojimbo was a freaking joy. Just a very funny, entertaining movie full of quirky characters.

And that's all I've seen. >_> I'll benefit from this thread, too.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I might get a lot of flak for this, as it’s a very different film from the rest of his catalog, but Dreams. It’s not like his other films; it’s an anthology of 9 short films with different themes and genres. It showcases a lot of imagination and horror.

If you want a jidaigeki film, go with Kagemusha. Imo it’s the best with a really high production team, and just epic on all accounts. Kurosawa has this weird reputation for all his films being in black and white…but he shot a lot of stuff in color too and it progressively gets better…
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Literally came in here to recommend Dreams. Such an experience.

Something that's indictive of Kursosawa's strengths without samurai is also of course Ikiru, if you're in the mood for something sweet and sad.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm Yojimbo of course!
This is my recommendation too.

Yojimbo is a short and sweet entry compared to Kurosawa's other three hour epics like Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, or Red Beard. It's got a focus on adventure and action that makes it palatable to newcomers that might not enjoy Kurosawa's slower movies. It doesn't contain horribly outdated social politics like Rashomon, nor does it have grim, depressing themes like Ran or Ikiru.

Yojimbo is the perfect gateway movie for Kurosawa. And it has a sequel!

And if you like Masaru Sato's music, he's here too, and at he's his A-game.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Yojimbo (1961) was the first Akira Kurosawa film that I ever saw and it is terrific. It has been remade twice, as A Fistful of Dollars (1964) and Last Man Standing (1993), so you might already know the story if you've seen either of those but Yojimbo is still a great introduction to Kurosawa's films. Sanjuro (1962) is the sequel.

Throne of Blood (1957) is another really good one. It's Kurosawa's adaptation of William Shakespeare's Macbeth as a jidaigeki film.

All three of these films star Toshiro Mifune with supporting casts filled with familiar faces to Godzilla fans including Takashi Shimura, Akihiko Hirata, Yoshio Tsuchiya, Akira Kubo, Yu Fujiki, Yosuke Natsuki, Sachio Sakai and Minoru Chiaki.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

What do you guys think of High and Low? The premise interests me a lot.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 am What do you guys think of High and Low? The premise interests me a lot.
I was just coming to suggest this. Arguably Kurosawa's most accessible film to Western audiences, IMO. Really great film.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 am What do you guys think of High and Low? The premise interests me a lot.
Police procedurals aren't usually my thing, but High and Low was still a very good film despite that. It wouldn't be my film of choice to recommend to a newcomer, but who am I to say what your tastes are? If it interests you, go for it!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I watched Seven Samurai in full last night and I have to say, it's impressive when a film actually lives up to the hype. I'd previously seen several scenes from the film but that's not the same as watching the whole epic start to finish. I was already aware that this was one of the most influential films in history but watching it, I was astonished how many times I've seen it referenced, homaged and blatantly ripped off in other movies and TV shows. Hell, Star Wars shows have adapted its premise at least twice.

Also, I already knew Takashi Shimura was a great actor but damn... really want to watch Ikiru now. I'll probably watch that one and Yojimbo next.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

So far, I have seen Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Rashomon.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

All of these suggestions are good picks if you're looking for a "gateway". Yojimbo was my first, and is indeed a great choice.

That said, I humbly advised anyone here looking to expand their Japanese cinema palettes to look well beyond just Kurosawa (as I've seen so many wannabe cinephiles do). I feel Kurosawa (and maybe Ozu for the slightly more seasoned) gets a ton of recognition in the West, almost always at the expense of other Japanese filmmakers. While Kurosawa is a fine jumping-on point to the world of broader Japanese cinema, please don't overlook other fine filmmakers.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Yeah don't forget about Kinji Fukasasu. What a trashy and entertaining list of movies he has.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:38 am While Kurosawa is a fine jumping-on point to the world of broader Japanese cinema, please don't overlook other fine filmmakers.
Like Senkichi Takiguchi.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

High and Low is my personal favorite Kurosawa movie. It's a very well structured crime drama, with the latter half serving as a bit of a precursor to things like CSI.

Outside of the jidaigeki entries like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo, I also highly recommend his very last movie, Madadayo. Overall, it's a pretty simple drama, but so enjoyable and effective.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You