Monster Toy Spotlight #31: Manda (Showa/Millennium)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Toy Spotlight #31: Manda (Showa/Millennium)

Post by gigan72 »

This was a tough decision. It was this, Heisei KG, or Baltan. I've decided to make this thread for both incarnations because there aren't a lot of available for the Millennium incarnation either, so I thought they should be lumped together.

Anyways, Manda has always been a kaiju that has interested me. I really like the serpent design and wish there were more figures available. Sadly, I only own one figure.

Resized Image

Anyways, what figures of Manda do you guys have?

Previous Monster Toy Spotlights
#01: King Ghidorah (Showa) - expandkong
#02: Gorosaurus - ebirahsmeg1
#03: Godzilla 2000 (Mire-Goji) - KlenSeven
#04: Baragon (Showa) - Jomei
#05: Gigan (Showa) - ebirahsmeg1
#06: GMK Godzilla - TeddyBaragon
#07: Hedorah (Showa) - g2vd
#08: MechaGodzilla 74-75 - KaijuZoo
#09: Barugon - Creature22
#10: Megalon - AWMGodzilla62
#11: Gigan (Final Wars) - GIGAN05
#12: SpaceGodzilla - SpaceG92
#13: Anguirus (Showa/1968-1974) - Castellan Zilla
#14: Heisei Gamera (95, 96, 99 & 06) - KlenSeven
#15: Godzilla 1954 - UltramanGoji
#16: Heisei Godzilla (1989-94) - Tyrant_Lizard_King
#17: Moguera (Showa) - GIGAN05
#18: Titanosaurus - KaijuZoo
#19: King Caesar - Lain Of The Wired
#20: Godzilla 2014 - g2vd
#21: Destoroyah - AWMGodzilla62
#22: Varan - ebirahsmeg1
#23: Godzilla 2002-03 - M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
#24: Gino/Zilla - Birdman
#25: Godzilla 1995 (Desu-Goji) - KlenSeven
#26: Godzilla 1962 (Kingu-Goji) - ILL GREEN
#27: Godzilla 1973-75 (Megaro-Goji) - Mechagigan
#28: Kamacuras (Showa & GFW) - DoctorMafune
#29: Godzilla 1984/85 - Hybrid Gojira
#30: Gyaos (Heisei) - ゴジマン
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #31: Manda (Showa/Millennium)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Thanks for taking this spotlight gigan72 :g2k: What particular Manda figure is that by the way?

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the recent Xplus 25cm Manda (I was not thrilled with being saddled with the Mothra larva figure for nearly double the price of a standard figure), as that Manda is one of the extremely rare "non-whisker/DAM" incarnations in figure form. Hopefully it will be re-released someday (without the damn mothra larva :evil:).

In the meantime, here is an awesome figure that must be seen in person to fully appreciate:

Marmit Monster Heaven Manda (GFW)
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Here's an M1 (with the extra segment)
Resized Image

The Zacca SD (Chase figure)
Resized Image

Marmit Monster Heaven Final Wars Manda
Resized Image

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

God, that Marmit is gorgeous. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a whore for articulated figures and instead dove into stylished figures.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Thanks for taking this spotlight gigan72 :g2k: What particular Manda figure is that by the way?
That's the Manda form the pack of destruction figure pack by Bandai Creations. Sadly, it's my only Manda figure.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Castellan Zilla wrote:God, that Marmit is gorgeous. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a whore for articulated figures and instead dove into stylished figures.
Never too late to come over to the dark side :twisted: :destoroyah:

Seriously, it's probably one of my top favorite figures in my rag-tag collection...
gigan72 wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Thanks for taking this spotlight gigan72 :g2k: What particular Manda figure is that by the way?
That's the Manda form the pack of destruction figure pack by Bandai Creations. Sadly, it's my only Manda figure.
Thought it looked familar, so thanks for clearing that up. It's a nice looking little figure.

Here's a review of the X-Plus 30cm Manda (Fresh Vinyl)

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Never too late to come over the dark side :twisted: :destoroyah:

Seriously, it's probably one of my top favorite figures in my rag-tag collection...
If I had the space, I would. But I'm already having to downside my Bandai Vinyl figures. Just don't have the room anymore since I moved.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

First up, the Atragon and Manda combo set from M1Go, released at the Tokyo WonderFest 2/24/2008.

This release of Manda was unique as M1 added a few body segments to their previous version which allowed Manda to better wrap around the Atragon submarine.

And here is a look at the first M1 Manda painted versions from 1998:

Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

They had the marmit FW Manda at G-Fest this year. I was really interested in buying it, but unfortunately, the asking price of $225 was a little too high for my taste. I think someone eventually bought it though!
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

X-Plus 25cm Manda (& Mothra Larva) - Fresh Vinyl

And finally, here is my Xplus 8 inch Manda figure...well, not exactly.:g2k: It's the Xplus Ultra Q "Dragon/Kairyu", which used the Manda suit for that particular episode with virtually no changes whatever to its appearance. Ditch the weird girl figurine, and it scales great with most Bandai 8 inch figures :spacegodzilla:

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

Marmit Para Baby Atragon with drydock base and matching PB Manda with Empress of Mu accessory, both sets from 2002.

And here is an additional close-up of the Empress of Mu - she is so cool, calm and collected! :lol:
Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

KaijuZoo wrote:Marmit Para Baby Atragon with drydock base and matching PB Manda with Empress of Mu accessory, both sets from 2002.

And here is an additional close-up of the Empress of Mu - she is so cool, calm and collected! :lol:
This is why I miss companies like Marmit...what in the hell are the odds we would see Empress of Mu or Gotengo w/ drydock base from Bandai/SHMA/NECA/Xplus?

We need more companies making figures for variety's sake...

gigan72 wrote:That's the Manda form the pack of destruction figure pack by Bandai Creations. Sadly, it's my only Manda figure.
Speaking of the Destruction Pack featuring Manda, I actually found an online review of it:

Another Xplus 25cm Manda review:

And a Y-MSF Manda review:

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

I do hope we get either a X-Plus or SH Monsterarts Final Wars Manda, I'm dying to see a new figure for the Final Wars Manda.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MonsterArts Manda? Ha! Tamashii hasn't even released the Figuarts Shenron yet! That's gonna be a long wait!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:MonsterArts Manda? Ha! Tamashii hasn't even released the Figuarts Shenron yet! That's gonna be a long wait!
Unless you make your own.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 am And finally, here is my Xplus 8 inch Manda figure...well, not exactly.:g2k: It's the Xplus Ultra Q "Dragon/Kairyu", which used the Manda suit for that particular episode with virtually no changes whatever to its appearance. Ditch the weird girl figurine, and it scales great with most Bandai 8 inch figures :spacegodzilla:

https://i744.photobucket. com/albums/xx81/kingugidora5000_2010/G%20Collection/1ee832c6-ec47-4fbf-a21e-599304590c63_zpsl6tj8ze4.jpg
[Sadly, due to my neverending(?) probationary status, I'm forced to intentionally break any links when quoting or remove them completely to even reply]

Well, as more of an adherent to classic IRL/Folklore-derived monsters than compared to ones like Gigan, Megalon and more modern invention, I always loved Manda as the in-universe realization of the dragon of Asian folklore and religion (with Showa King Ghidorah's mien(s) a close second). Sadly, Manda's on the lower rung of kaiju, so I haven't an idea when we'll get the SHMA version I'm wanting (we did get that Shenron though, so who knows).

What I have seen in my searching, is that (imo) there has been no better sculpt or paint app done for him than on the smaller X-Plus figure of Kairyu (Which is based on the unaltered puppet from Atragon). Frankly, the large scale X-Plus figure, which ought to be the definitive sculpt by default, is somewhat lifeless and drab in paint application despite the increased level of tooling for that scale. The smaller Kairyu captures, well, more of the personality of the creature(s) shown onscreen in the film and Ultra Q episode (perhaps it's the eye-spacing, or angles), and which was lost by his mutilation for DAM and uninspired redesign for FW or SP.

So until SHMA comes to their senses, and surpasses the bar set by this little guy and bonus little girl, this is the Manda for me. I just wish X-Plus reissued Kairyu as Manda since they surely still have his tooling.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Sorry, but I was just comparing Marmit MH Manda GFW to whatever that piece of junk is that Bandai just revealed....it has me in stitches 😂

What an utter joke...

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I like it personally, but understand why other people might hate it. Manda is one of my favorite monsters so I welcome any chance to have a 6 inch version, but I definitely wish we could get a MMS version where Bandai pulls out all the stops. Perhaps if the Showa version ever wins in a future contest…

I used to have a model of the GFW Gotengo and would not have sold it if I knew Bandai was going to give us a Manda.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Creature22 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:41 am I like it personally, but understand why other people might hate it. Manda is one of my favorite monsters so I welcome any chance to have a 6 inch version, but I definitely wish we could get a MMS version where Bandai pulls out all the stops. Perhaps if the Showa version ever wins in a future contest…

I used to have a model of the GFW Gotengo and would not have sold it if I knew Bandai was going to give us a Manda.

I have both the GFW and Showa Marmit MH Gotengos….they’re amazing. Sadly, I could never hunt down the Marmit Moonlight SY-3 (though I do have the Bandai Chronicles one as well as the little extra that came with Xplus 25cm Anguirus :serizawa:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:06 amI have both the GFW and Showa Marmit MH Gotengos….they’re amazing. Sadly, I could never hunt down the Marmit Moonlight SY-3 (though I do have the Bandai Chronicles one as well as the little extra that came with Xplus 25cm Anguirus :serizawa:
I had been looking for the Marusan Gotengo for a long time (I love the blue color on it) but gave up after it’s price started rising. Especially now that I’m clearing stuff; I don’t know if I’ll ever happen on another model any time soon, unless a cheap one comes my way, but with Manda now in the mix it would be cool.