Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by CyberZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:03 pm
CyberZilla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 am
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am Animation reminds me of Polygon's Godzilla trilogy. I hope I'm wrong.
Meh, most of my problems with the Polygon trilogy come from barely making use of that animation, let alone the let-down that is the writing.
I felt like "framerate", not sure if that is the correct term, was wonky in the Polygon trilogy.
Makes sense tbh, 3D anime tend to not translate their frame rates as well as the traditional 2D ones. But then the smooth animation doesn’t look right, either, so it’s very contentious to get a good 3D anime animation going.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Alright, I'll play the game. The four kaiju I want to appear are:

Zedus (He's my fav)
Guiron
Barugon
Legion
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

For me, it's:

Barugon
Zedus
Iris
Legion
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zigra
Zigra
Zigra
oh, man, and Zigra would be wonderful.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

What I expect:

Zigra
Guiron
Legion
New Monster

What I want:

Barugon
Guiron
Iris
Legion
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Barugon
Zedus
Guiron
And how about some FUCKING JIGER BABY
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:03 am Zigra
Zigra
Zigra
oh, man, and Zigra would be wonderful.
Shit list man. You shoud've put Zigra.

Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here's my locked in list:
Barugon
Zigra
Legion
New Monster

Rationale:

Gyaos covers the flying bases nicely. Might we wind up with a Super Gyaos situation though?

Barugon and Jiger are functionally the same: both are bipedal monsters that are awkwaned by an artifact going missing. Barugon is a simpel foil to Gamera, and his powers are unique. His rainbow attack would be amazing to see animated.

Zigra is a unique monster: it would be cool to have an episode to take place in an ocean area/underwater. Not only does Zigra have a cool design, but it would be cool to see his underwater form transformation into his land form handled a bit better. His design is great, but could be streamlined and updated a little bit to be something truly special. They could incporate elements of Guiron into a new design, as Zigra like Guiron looks likea big slicing blade.

Legion I think is the weakest of the group to appear. Legion feels like it's own distinctive threat, that shouldn't be something that's one and done. Likewise it's a bit complex: you have the flower form, the Legion soldiers, and the big momma herself. However it allows for a unique monster to appear and gives the heisei series some love. Plus, similar to the Gyaos, it allows some individual tinier monsters to attack people on the ground. Legion is also an alien, and unlike Zigra (which could be retconned into some deepsea ancient alien or something), it feels much more extraterestrial.

New Monster: What's the point of a new series if you aren't going to throw at least one distinctive and new monster into the mix?

And to add one final thing:
While Gyaos will appear probably throughout the series, I'd love it if other monsters horribly murdered a few of them too. Gyaos versus Legion, or maybe Zigra/Guiron butchering some of them...at least after the original episode.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'd really love it if Garasharp was brought in.
Barugon, Jiger and Guiron I really like, though all three are land crawlers. Their abilities all make them different enough to me.
Zigra, while having a weak movie, certainly has a cool design. Certainly better than Viras, so if we're going to have a sea-alien conqueror-monster then Zigra is the pick for me.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm surprised no one here's mentioned the possibility of Gyaos only showing up in episode 2, leaving episode 1 to be a solo venture for Gamera. That's what I took from the trailer blurbs.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Of the existing rogues gallery of Gamera outside of Gyaos. One that I'd love to make a return would be Viras. I liked his Heisei Era version featured in the Dark Horse comic where he ended up the main antagonist. I was also fond Clint Lee Werner's fan fic redo of Viras as a Lovecraftian deity, which I thought was also an interesting way to go with the kaiju. Or just go with the original alien invader take of the kaiju, which had a rather horroriffic take once you think about it when GAMERA Vs. VIRAS hit its third act. Garasharp, since Matt Frank used him in the comic accompanying the Arrow Video Blu-Ray set, maybe we can finally see the serpentine kaiju against the Guardian of the Universe in full motion this time. With animation Garasharp can really be let loose in that format.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.
And that's going in my sigs.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone care to guess for a release date? I am guessing June/July.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:32 pm Does anyone care to guess for a release date? I am guessing June/July.
Very easily could be dropped in April, but I expect at the very leasy by June or July.

I'm curious if this will air on the TV here as a special series. Godzilla SP had 12 episodes though, which made it more justifiable for a slot. Has there been any confirmation if this will be a weekly series or a one and done drop? Honestly I hope for the former. It'll be fun to watch and discuss weekly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:38 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:32 pm Does anyone care to guess for a release date? I am guessing June/July.
Very easily could be dropped in April, but I expect at the very leasy by June or July.

I'm curious if this will air on the TV here as a special series. Godzilla SP had 12 episodes though, which made it more justifiable for a slot. Has there been any confirmation if this will be a weekly series or a one and done drop? Honestly I hope for the former. It'll be fun to watch and discuss weekly.
Most likely one and done. SP was an anime that got brought to Netflix not a Netflix anime first I believe.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^ I am guessing by later this month or early next month, they'll reveal the characters and in April we'll get a full trailer.

gigan71
Ronin

Post by gigan71 »

Looking forward to it.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I've always thought it could be neat to see Gamera dabble in Daiei/Kadokawa's more supernatural side, like mixing Gamera with their more mythical properties - Daimajin and the Yokai Monsters. Especially the former. Could be an opportunity there to bring back a grittier Majin as opposed to his last two outings, which turned him into more of a straight-up hero.

This probably isn't the series for such a crossover, though.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Seeing as Gyaos got a poster, I'm assuming as we get closer to airing, the other monsters will get posters too.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm getting worried about the fact they're cramming no less than SIX opponents into one season. Might've been smarter to have at least 3, each with 2 episodes for Gamera to fight them in.