The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by KaijuX »

So I meant to get to this this morning, but I forgot... Here are the Survey results! Enjoy! ;)

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/the-20 ... k-surveys/
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KaijuX wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm So I meant to get to this this morning, but I forgot... Here are the Survey results! Enjoy! ;)

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/the-20 ... k-surveys/
Badass stuff! It’s good that the staff is taking a little step back on the schedule. Breathing room is always important.
Spoiler:
In the meantime, I have another question: while Heisei Reiwa Gigan has been given the green light, is Godzilla (GvGR) still being discussed in the meeting room?
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Congratulations to all of our winners! And to everyone who contributed to the KWC in 2022, whether you won an award or not, thank you very much. We hope you have all enjoyed 2022 (on this front, year in general was, uh, uhhhhhhhh), and we hope that you’ll enjoy 2023 even more.

And make sure to tune in for the next KWCC (whenever that is) for more in-depth results on each category than just what is displayed on the blog.
ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm
Spoiler:
In the meantime, I have another question: while Heisei Reiwa Gigan has been given the green light, is Godzilla (GvGR) still being discussed in the meeting room?
Spoiler:
Gemstone Godzilla is A-ok as a skin for Heisei Godzilla. That sorta stuff (along with Shin Ultraman as a hybrid) and more will be broadly revealed soon, after a certain milestone match coming up ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:28 pm Congratulations to all of our winners! And to everyone who contributed to the KWC in 2022, whether you won an award or not, thank you very much. We hope you have all enjoyed 2022 (on this front, year in general was, uh, uhhhhhhhh), and we hope that you’ll enjoy 2023 even more.

And make sure to tune in for the next KWCC (whenever that is) for more in-depth results on each category than just what is displayed on the blog.
ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Gemstone Godzilla is A-ok as a skin for Heisei Godzilla. That sorta stuff (along with Shin Ultraman as a hybrid) and more will be broadly revealed soon, after a certain milestone match coming up ;)
Spoiler:
Badass!

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Not going to lie, I'm bummed out about now only having two matches a month.

But holy hit, Franky, Spyler and Wargilgar are back.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well, that retirement sure didn't last. :lol:

Welcome back, Frankenstein! You too, Spyler and Wargilgar! Shall the three Gargantuas and Four Terror-Beast unite once more!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Retirements are denoted by the green thing in the upper corner, correct? What's the determining factor in retirements?
Resized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Coobzilla03 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:52 pm Retirements are denoted by the green thing in the upper corner, correct? What's the determining factor in retirements?
They're not really retirements anymore, more just... Demotions, I wanna say? You can still use them in Multimedia, but they'll never get a written K.W.C again.

This is done mostly so we don't have so many characters similar to one another cluttering up the roster.Anything Heisei Ghidorah and Showa Baragon can do, their counterparts can and then some. Anything Heisei Mothra can do, Leo can and then a LOT more. And Godzillasaurus.. well, he's just kinda boring. :P
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:58 pm
Coobzilla03 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:52 pm Retirements are denoted by the green thing in the upper corner, correct? What's the determining factor in retirements?
They're not really retirements anymore, more just... Demotions, I wanna say? You can still use them in Multimedia, but they'll never get a written K.W.C again.

This is done mostly so we don't have so many characters similar to one another cluttering up the roster.Anything Heisei Ghidorah and Showa Baragon can do, their counterparts can and then some. Anything Heisei Mothra can do, Leo can and then a LOT more. And Godzillasaurus.. well, he's just kinda boring. :P
Thought so. Good to see Frankenstein and the Terror Beasts back.

One I've noticed is Heisei Ghidorah - is he gone gone?
Resized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Yes, the green asterisk denotes “Multimedia Exclusive”, which pretty much means you can only use them in the KWC Multimedia as opposed to the main KWC.

As for what has to happen for a combatant to be retired, the basic idea is that a combatant has to pretty much bring nothing to the table that other combatants do not. And while obviously you can nitpick and split hairs to say that there is stuff Heisei Ghidorah can do that the other Ghidorahs can’t, ultimately it has to be something significant.

As of this update, original monsters are no longer susceptible to this. They have to be an incarnation of a monster with multiple incarnations, who offer much more in terms of writing possibilities. And one may argue “well Godzillasaurus is technically an original monster, not a Godzilla incarnation”, but Godzillasaurus has his own host of issues with being a combatant.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

WOOOOOOOOO FRANKENSTEIN IS BACK BAYBEE

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

Whatever Happened to Taro rayquaza;

Also I wonder why
Spoiler:
Eleking,Gudon,Aribunta and Astromons werent added
Showa Goji best Godzilla

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

EarthNeronga wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:52 pm Whatever Happened to Taro rayquaza;

Also I wonder why
Spoiler:
Eleking,Gudon,Aribunta and Astromons werent added
Taro and Rayquaza it's just a matter of getting matches; simple as that. As far as the others, surveys are surveys, it's no guaranteed they'll be included. It's just to gauge the broader audience to see what they want.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

God some exciting new arrivals and even some welcomed returns to the written corner of the KWC. All in all this was a wonderful day~

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Hey, I was curious about something with the awards this year.

To all y’all, when you were answering the question “Best use of combatants in a match”, what exactly were your criteria for that?

Was it how they were used combat-wise, characterization, uniqueness of their utilization; what exactly do y’all define as “best usage of a combatant”?
KWCE Administrator

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

For me, it was characterization and how they were used in combat, and if they stayed true to their personalities while being used creatively.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

That felt like forever since we've had a match.

On to the match, it wasn't my favorite, it was mainly dialouge, and not really the actual fight, pretty disappointing for the match right before the 400th match of the KWC, giving it my honest opinion. 5/10 for me.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
I honestly don’t think highly of this match. The action was good and all and the premise was an intriguing twist on the usual tale, but I also strongly feel that this match vastly undermined its predecessor and everything that happened in it.

Bagan goes through something similar to a character arc and finally decided he just wants to sleep and demands never to be woken up? Well fuck that, because he’s back and beating Godzilla’s ass like nothing happened! Godzilla goes through an immense struggle and multiple transformations to fight Bagan to a draw and save the world, even using the thoughts of his kids as motivation? Well fuck that, because he’s fighting Bagan again and turned into the villain by the very humans who were trying to save his life, and gets murdered for it, leaving his two kids alone in the world and making his struggle in Match 190 completely pointless.

If this match stood on its own and wasn’t a sequel to Match 190, I would be so much more forgiving of it. Because had it been its own thing, I think this would’ve been a pretty decent and interesting story. But as it is, that isn’t the case.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

This isn’t a sequel to 190. It’s meant to be an AU starting from about the midpoint of the match. We really should have come up with something better than “continued from 190” to go up at the top of the match.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:29 am This isn’t a sequel to 190. It’s meant to be an AU starting from about the midpoint of the match. We really should have come up with something better than “continued from 190” to go up at the top of the match.
Oh, so this is like an alternative ending? A Toho’s ‘What If?’ More like?