Pacific Rim Figures the Sequel

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Pacific Rim Figures the Sequel

Post by Shenanigans »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:22 pm Well, no news at the NYCC, I guess the figure didn't receive enough pre-orders for Diamond Select to unveil any more potential figure? Because I would assume that they have prototypes for potential figures in case it sells well?
I'm kinda doubtful that they would've based a potential NYCC reveal on preorders alone, but its impossible to say what the plan is at the moment. As noted when it was revealed, Gipsy Danger could be a one-off, though naturally hoping that won't be the case. At the same time, I will agree that the lack of reveals in discouraging; might be best not to hold ones' breath for more.

BTW, its been a few months since this thread was active; the Diamond Select reissues have been out, in new packaging at that. The figures themselves are the same as far as I can tell though.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

You never know with DST. I've heard the Black Hole figures sold well, but we're not getting any more. So even if Gipsy Danger sells well, we may not get any new toys.

That said, I do think they should at least try to get out Cherno Alpha and see how that goes.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Their Gipsy Danger would need to do really well to warrant additional figures, given that GD is the poster child of the movie. That being said, the prototype in the product shots looks really well done.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I received my "The Art of Pacific Rim: The Black" book today. Breacher looks really cool, I would love a figure of him.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Hopefully Diamond Select's Gypsy ships soon! And news on another figure!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I didn't watch PR The Black but I was kinda hopeful for some of the other Jargers getting action figures. I can't remember their name but they kinda looked like Gipsy Avenger with cannons and a grey color scheme.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I hope the new Diamond Select figure ships soon!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Also, Diamond Select 'liked" my comment under their Ask Diamond Select post. I said Non-vinyl Pacific Rim Kaiju please! I know it's almost certainly nothing, but at least it seems they may have considered it.

Sorry for double post!!
Last edited by Anguirus on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I'm in favor of large vinyl PR kaiju. Since it would cheaper for them and we could possible get more.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Here's the Kuro Kara Kuri Gipsy Danger prototype (art was posted on the previous page).

The idea of Jaegers with interchangeable parts is rad; I used to have some kind of robot toys with that gimmick eons ago, but I can't even remember what they were. I'd be a buyer if these were the same cheapo toys from my memory, but given how high-end they are, easy pass. Neat seeing a bit of a stylized take on Pacific Rim characters though.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Way too much expensive for me. I hope Diamond Select announces a new figure when they start shipping their Gypsy Danger (which hopefully is soon, I can't wait!).

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

There might not be any new Pacific Rim movies on the immediate horizon, but the franchise is alive and well in toy form. IGN can exclusively reveal a new lineup of Pacific Rim: Uprising action figures produced by Diamond Select Toys.

This new line of figures is dubbed the Special Ops Series. Each figure features a familiar Jaeger from the sequel movie with a brand-new and more stylized color scheme. Get a closer look at Series 1 in the slideshow gallery below:
The lineup in Series 1 includes Saber Athena MK2, Obsidian Fury (Energy Dispersion Armor) and Valor Omega (Jungle Ops). Each figure measures between 7 and 9 inches tall and feature 16 points of articulation. The figures were designed and sculpted by Big Shot Toy Works.

These Pacific Rim figures are priced at $29.99 each and are slated for release in Fall 2023. Preorders will open on Friday, March 24 through the Diamond Select Toys website and various other retailers.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

That is....not what anyone wanted. :/

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I hope this is not all they plan to do with the license now, I was predicting that they would make more of the jaegars from the first film next.

Does this mean that their Gypsy Danger did not sell enough pre orders? And that they just want to make the most of their license before it expires?
Last edited by Anguirus on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I think figures based on the first movie would sell better, unless Uprising has some weird collector fan base I’m unaware of?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

NECA thrived on retools throughout their time with the license. It's not that surprising to see DST in the same boat, I just hope that these new releases are there to fuel new molds and hopefully some kaiju.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Anguirus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:32 am I hope this is not all they plan to do with the license now, I was predicting that they would make more of the jaegars from the first film next.

Does this mean that their Gypsy Danger did not sell enough pre orders? And that they just want to make the most of their license before it expires?
I am just baffled by this, truly. I think if the Gipsy Danger tanked in the preorder department it would have been cancelled by now. Its still slated for an April release date.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Guess I'm abandoning hope for them to continue with the first movie figures. Might even cancel my GD pre-order, no sense having an incomplete set.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

As disinterested as I am in these, I can't deny Saber Athena just looks right in that purple and black color scheme.

After all of NECA's variants, I was honestly a-okay with variants in this line; I probably would have bought battle-damaged variants or versions with the jet packs. But these are just too random. I might have been interested in random colorways of the Jaegers from the first movie, but I was never as attached to Uprising's Jaegers, so... pass, unfortunately.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Seems like the repaints are almost universally regarded as a waste of time from what I can tell. For every person I see interested, I see handfuls more asking for Kaiju and stuff from the first movie. At this rate, I'm hoping that Hiya gets a crack at the license.