Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by LegendZilla »

Ivo-goji wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:37 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:47 pm ^Better to tamper with a pre-existing work with a mostly negative-mixed reception as opposed to loved by virtually everyone.
The Heisei series' reception is relatively positive in Japan.

I imagine the Japanese fandom would react to the Heisei Godzilla films being digitally defiled about the same way they'd react to the Showa series getting the same treatment.
If they were able to create new footage to replace stock footage in movies like Gigan or Megalon, It shouldn't hurt.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:14 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:47 pm ^Better to tamper with a pre-existing work with a mostly negative-mixed reception as opposed to loved by virtually everyone.

I imagine the Japanese fandom would react to the Heisei Godzilla films being digitally defiled about the same way they'd react to the Showa series getting the same treatment.
If they were able to create new footage to replace stock footage in movies like Gigan or Megalon, It shouldn't hurt.
Oh shit, please no. That would look godawful.

Like, how does that suggestion even make sense? Create new footage in the 2020s to replace stock footage in films made in the early 1970s? Star Wars is one thing, but how exactly would that work in the Showa Godzilla series without a dedicated physical effects crew recreating decades old miniatures and monster suits?

Go home, Legendzilla. You're drunk.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:03 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:14 pm

Oh poop, please no. That would look godawful.

Like, how does that suggestion even make sense? Create new footage in the 2020s to replace stock footage in films made in the early 1970s? Star Wars is one thing, but how exactly would that work in the Showa Godzilla series without a dedicated physical effects crew recreating decades old miniatures and monster suits?

Go home, Legendzilla. You're drunk.
Here's my refutation. Look at what they did with the original fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars despite being over 40 years old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng ... FXitinPost

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It not only looks like FMV-tier garbage, it's inclusion in the overall film is horrendously paced and monumentally at odds with the tone of the other scenes it cuts back and forth from. The obnoxious, overblown musical accompaniment and embarrassingly hamfisted ROTS quotes overloads the senses and doesn't allow even an iota of emotional inference from the audience.

Bottom line: it stinks, send it back.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm ^Imagine if they made special editions of Heisei films with enhanced effects.
Honestly, I'd be all for this as long as the original, unenhanced versions are still readily available. Altering preexisting works is perfectly fine as long as they don't completely replace the originals. I don't think movies, or any media for that matter, should monoliths set in stone.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gerdzerl wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 am
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm ^Imagine if they made special editions of Heisei films with enhanced effects.
Honestly, I'd be all for this as long as the original, unenhanced versions are still readily available. Altering preexisting works is perfectly fine as long as they don't completely replace the originals. I don't think movies, or any media for that matter, should monoliths set in stone.
^This to the 10th power.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 pm Here's my refutation. Look at what they did with the original fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars despite being over 40 years old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng ... FXitinPost
I cannot sanction your buffoonery.
Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 pm
Here's my refutation. Look at what they did with the original fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars despite being over 40 years old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng ... FXitinPost
That is some Disney level tomfoolery.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While I can see the appeal of that Star Wars edit, trying to help that pivotal moment mesh more consistently with the elaborate context that has built up around it and with the aesthetics of modern Star Wars, I don't see the need for a similar approach for Heisei Godzilla. Star Wars has the 'problem' of being a single cohesive story with its movies made across several decades. The technology and stylistic approaches to filmmaking have changed radically in that time, and now the oldest entries look out of place in the franchise at large. The Heisei Godzilla films, meanwhile, were all made in close proximity to one another and end up fitting together pretty effectively as a result. The '90s films especially are very consistent with each other. Even if the effects aren't the greatest, they all look like part of the same series, and there's just nothing to gain from messing with them other than giving fans the chance to say "wow, that looks cooler." That's not a good enough reason to change them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And what would they even change? CGI planes and tanks? Re-animated rays and lasers? Can't imagine much would change with the monsters, since Toho isn't going to build new suits. And who here would really want to see all the practical effects replaced with computer animation?

The entire franchise was built on physical effects and survived on it for a half century. Why would anyone support this stuff being replaced? To me its a such a dumb notion.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I'd be fine with it as long as the CG versions match the practical effects as closely as possible. I love practical effects as much as anybody, but the way they look and feel is more important to me than the fact that they're physical objects.

This is all CG, but it matches the look and feel of the OT miniatures pretty much perfectly.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

This movie has a good story and Destoroyah is a really great kaiju

Buuuuuuut, the movie is as entertaining as watching paint dry

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Watched this a couple of weeks ago with my kids as the conclusion to their first journey through the Heisei series.

Not a lot to say that hasn’t been said many times before. The kids loved it as anyone would expect. I still find it to be a solid and satisfying conclusion to the series. Burning Godzilla remains an impressive visual feat that is just infinitely cool looking.

I gotta say, as with every Godzilla movie I’ve watched so far since building a home theater, seeing it on a genuinely large screen for the first time really enhanced the overall experience. The effects work was mesmerizing.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I was just watching Svengoolie's presentation of GkotM, and when he mentioned Momoki Kochi in the cast list, he absolutely butchered Destroyah's name. His pronunciation was Des-Story-Ah.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:48 am I was just watching Svengoolie's presentation of GkotM, and when he mentioned Momoki Kochi in the cast list, he absolutely butchered Destroyah's name. His pronunciation was Des-Story-Ah.
Eh, can't blame him. That extra o does make the name cluttered and visually confusing. Anyway, even hardcore fans pronounce kaiju names in wildly varying ways.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:48 am I was just watching Svengoolie's presentation of GkotM, and when he mentioned Momoki Kochi in the cast list, he absolutely butchered Destroyah's name. His pronunciation was Des-Story-Ah.
Eh, can't blame him. That extra o does make the name cluttered and visually confusing. Anyway, even hardcore fans pronounce kaiju names in wildly varying ways.
Especially when you account for their westernized names being changed over the years. Ghidra to Ghidorah; Spiega to Kumonga; Angilas to Anguirus (or Angweenus, thanks for that one, Final Wars).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Des-story-yah pronounciation is interesting and I don't think anyone should be blamed for mispronoucing Destoroyah's name. I never actually pronounce it correctly. I don't think many do. I just say Des-troy-yah.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Wait, what is the "correct" pronunciation of his name? I've been saying "De-Sto-Roy-Ah"
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

"Des-TROY-yah" or "Des-TORO-yah" are both what I've heard.