Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Wasn't there some set photos portraying Japan with some Godzilla warning signs so it looks like Goji will be more active than the films originally stated which I'm all for and that's not even counting the other Titans.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:48 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:21 pm Personally I wouldn't have a problem if they retcon the Godzilla hasn't been seen in 5 years as far as public sightings are concerned
Same. I don't know why they even bothered to have that be a thing.
Nearly all sequels do that especially Godzilla movies.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Smuggers wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:59 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:38 am
That hasn't happened yet. This series takes place between 2014 and KoTM.

But yes, future movies should feel free to completely disregard GvK and its lazy sidelining of the Monsterverse at large.
They're talking about KoTM, not GVK. KoTM essentially said that nothing happened between 2014 and 2019.
KotM said people didn’t know where Godzilla had gone “only if you don’t know where to look”. If they pay attention to the continuity at all, it still leaves plenty of opportunity for Godzilla to be active. But just in remote parts of the world or in hollow earth.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

We're very aware of KOTM saying that we're just saying that we don't mind or even prefer that they retcon that.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

TKDM
Samurai

Post by TKDM »

Directors
Ep 1 & 2: Matt Shakman
Ep 3 & 4: Julian Holmes
Ep 5 & 6: Mairzee Almas
Ep 7 & 8: Hiromi Kamata
Ep 9 & 10: Andy Goddard

DPs
Ep 1&2: Jess Hall (WandaVision, Hot Fuzz)
Ep 3&4: Jean-Philippe Gossart (2nd DP: Zack Snyders JL, Star Wars -The last Jedi)
Ep 5,6,9 & 10: Chris Seager (Watchmen, Game of Thrones)
Ep 7&8: Sam McCurdy (Peacemaker, Dog Soldiers, Descent 1&2)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Lovely selection of talent overall. For what it’s worth it seems like there is genuine effort being poured into this show quality wise and this excites me.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

C'mon please be good please be good please be good

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Janjira-York wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 am C'mon please be good please be good please be good
KDM seems to think it will be, then again it's twitter and he's a reporter so idk.
https://twitter.com/KDM_Monsters/status ... -OzPssAAAA

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:38 am Lovely selection of talent overall. For what it’s worth it seems like there is genuine effort being poured into this show quality wise and this excites me.
It excites me that they’re pouring this much into the show. There’s a good chance it ends up being really special.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

At this point I’m mainly curious when the marketing will start and who the composer is. Other than that color me pretty stocked.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Interesting to see that out of 10 episodes, each shares a director for a pair of episodes. IE: the director of 1+2 are the same, same for 3+4. I wonder if it means each pair of episodes will be like a mini-film or something. Damn, we need a trailer! It's kind of funny because thanks to the GvK sequel I keep forgetting about this, but now I might actually be more hyped!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am guessing this will receive a 2024 release.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hoping for a NOVEMBER release myself. Would be nice to get an inverse of where Godzilla SP was releasing weekly when Godzilla vs. Kong was released.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

2024 is safe but I wonder if they want this out before Godzilla and Kong origins.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

From what I saw it wrapped filming in December so I could easily see a October/November release date. I also do think they will want it out before the new movie. as well.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

TKDM
Samurai

Post by TKDM »

When one director wrapped filming his episodes, all material went straight into post pro (Editing, grading, etc). This don’t include additional photography & VFX shots. Add & VFX filming (for flashbacks etc) wrapped Dec 22 in Hawaii. Principal photography wrapped Dec 16 in Vancouver.
They „mostly“ filmed everything chronologically (VFX & Add shoots not included of course). Post pro is going well and started in August 2022. First episodes are already „picture locked“.
MPC (and other VFX companys) is already working on the VFX / CGI.
When Ep 1 & 2 wrapped, material was sent to post pro, while filming for Ep 3 and 4 started. That’s why they hired 5 directors, 4 DPs and (also) not just one editor. BTW Editors as Mark Hartzell and Joe Talbott Hall are working on the show.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

TKDM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 pm When one director wrapped filming his episodes, all material went straight into post pro (Editing, grading, etc). This don’t include additional photography & VFX shots. Add & VFX filming (for flashbacks etc) wrapped Dec 22 in Hawaii. Principal photography wrapped Dec 16 in Vancouver.
They „mostly“ filmed everything chronologically (VFX & Add shoots not included of course). Post pro is going well and started in August 2022. First episodes are already „picture locked“.
MPC (and other VFX companys) is already working on the VFX / CGI.
When Ep 1 & 2 wrapped, material was sent to post pro, while filming for Ep 3 and 4 started. That’s why they hired 5 directors, 4 DPs and (also) not just one editor. BTW Editors as Mark Hartzell and Joe Talbott Hall are working on the show.
If that's the case I could easily see an October/November, maybe even earlier potentially.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

That's my guess as well. This will be released sometime during the fall. We'll probably get our first teaser/trailer around SDCC.

I imagine Legendary wants this + the Kong anime out by this year to build up hype for GAK.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

dillonking55 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 am That's my guess as well. This will be released sometime during the fall. We'll probably get our first teaser/trailer around SDCC.

I imagine Legendary wants this + the Kong anime out by this year to build up hype for GAK.
Thinking the same. I imagine the anime potentially dropping earlier due to this studio’s track record of putting out projects out of the blue but I can see both being in close proximity. It would only make sense to have both a Godzilla and a Kong show respectively to build the anticipation for GAK.

Anyway, the fact that each director directs 3 episodes is honestly incredibly cool. Coupling with with the returning cinematographers it can definitely allow for some decent consistency. At this moment I’m mainly curious how the modern post-2014 and 1950s segment shifts will work.