65, from the Creators of A Quiet Place

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: 65, from the Creators of A Quiet Place

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:14 pm I feel like Legendzilla read this article and is just parroting what it says:
https://www.cbr.com/65-movie-trailer-pa ... ccuracies/

Honestly, who cares. MM is right about movie dinosaurs being distinctive monsters and creatures seperate from actual reality.

I said it early, and I'll repeat it again.
Artistic expression and liberty.

Take a deep breath, and say it to yourself once, twice, and three times once over:
Artistic expression and liberty....
To be honest, I never read that article.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Also not a lot of artistic expression when everything goes back to being a V.rex/Papo rex ripoff.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 am And this is me assuming Adam Driver does, also. Another part of me is thinking they're setting up an Adam and Eve ending, which is rather disturbing considering she's a child.
Well if humanitys survival is dependant of these two she might as well start young I guess. jk

Totally with you on that. Hope duration time of the movie is only slightly above 80min. If the story consists mainly of the two of them running away from dinosaurs and no actual dark survival with some deaths it could become a drag...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

First! Well, Dyrako got his wish. The movie is short and breezes right by. IMO, at least; my brother said it felt about three hours long.

It was okay. A bog-standard survival/horror film, no aspirations to be anything else. As long as that's all you want from it, it's a decently entertaining way to kill 90-ish minutes. The already bare bones script was clearly chopped up in editing, which causes problems. Most of the dinosaur designs were abysmal. I could have handled shrinkwrapping and ugly, monstrous appearances, but they went beyond that by turning everything into a bizarre Indoraptor knockoff.

On the flip side, the director did his job well enough. I appreciated the close-in, claustrophobic camera work; it helped make everything feel tense and dangerous. The music and overall atmosphere worked. That went a long way toward saving the movie. I also liked that it was very consciously the anti-Jurassic Park. It was dinosaur survival horror, and they committed to it. There was no "ooh, ahh, lookit the majestic herbivores" here. This was "dinosaurs are scary and want to eat you", no two ways about it. That's respectable.
Spoiler:
During the initial raptor attack, some guy sitting behind me said "An accurate Velociraptor!", which was pretty funny. They got the size right, I'll concede that. I also absolutely loved that we got an Oviraptor attack, of all things. This has to be the first time that's ever been put to film.
I wish it had been better, but I'm just glad it was made. If it does well, hopefully we'll get more dinosaur movies soon.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I saw it last night and honestly, it was not very good. The premise had potential, but it just suffered from poor execution. The pacing was off, the story was incredibly half baked, and while the actors did their best, their characters just felt very 2 dimensional at most. As for the dinosaurs: Look, it's fine if you want to make fictional dinosaurs. BUT if other movies can make the effort to make genuinely good looking fictional dinosaurs, this movie has NO excuse to have such utterly garbage designs and portraying them in such a done to death way. The best way I can describe it is an especially bad episode of Terra Nova mixed with After Earth. Jurassic World Dominion still gets the brunt of my ire but this comes pretty close.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Just seen it yesterday evening, its a good movie. Runtime ist just perfect for the story. Story itself is nothing special the dinosaur scenes were very good though. It was a pleasure to see some more of the old 2000-style dinosaurs and how we used to imagine them. Counted roughly 13 different species, so quite a lot, some were the usual suspects but they included some underdogs too.
Was great to see the overall movie to bemore horror-like which is way to rare for a dinosaur movie. Also bonus points for actually seeing the main characters get in some real struggle and even get hurt various times.
Spoiler:
Best thing was for the T-Rexes not to be the main/last threat. Was a neat little twist!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Ah, okay. Now I get it. The spoiler'd part confused me in the movie.
Spoiler:
I thought the predator that attacked outside the cave was a T. rex, and that the final chase sequence was the second rex suddenly running on all fours after being injured. I'm a little happier with the movie, now.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:52 am ^ Ah, okay. Now I get it. The spoiler'd part confused me in the movie.
Spoiler:
I thought the predator that attacked outside the cave was a T. rex, and that the final chase sequence was the second rex suddenly running on all fours after being injured. I'm a little happier with the movie, now.
Spoiler:
Do wonder what kind of dinosaur it is? May as well just be inspired by Postosuchus

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Spoiler:
the final threat was what ended up replacing the Triceratops from the first cut, as well as that weird baby ankylosaur rex hybrid was just a regular ankylosaur

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzillakuj94 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:26 pm
Spoiler:
the final threat was what ended up replacing the Triceratops from the first cut, as well as that weird baby ankylosaur rex hybrid was just a regular ankylosaur
Source? Because that would suck if true.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Really fascinating to me how much people are reading this movie as a positive and deliberate anti- Jueassic Park when it seems in line with many criticisms I've seen leveled at the films' use of dinosaurs, just that this film deliberately plays up the horror tone in a way that I guess offsets something?

I wasn't terribly interested but my dad has some interest so we'll likely see it together.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm just glad that this movie didn't try to imitate Jurassic Park. Much, anyway. The way it's shot, the timing of things, the near-total focus on aggressive carnivores with no peaceful herbivores for balance, just gives the film a different flavor. It's more in line with traditional B-movies. Or King Kong 2005; some influence definitely came from that movie.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Saw it two nights ago, and I found it pretty mediocre. Something about the pacing didn't feel totally right, the characters weren't all that engaging (which is ironic considering Adam Driver and Ariana Greenblatt both did their acting jobs fairly well, especially Adam), and the dinosaurs (whose designs I didn't have too big a problem with) felt a bit underutilized. In the case of the theropod that looked like a tyrannosaur, rauisuchid hybrid, it especially had a lot of wasted story-related potential. On the other hand, it was kind of interesting that
Spoiler:
the characters weren't actually time traveling humans, but aliens that just happened to look and sound just like humans that crash land on earth during the end of the cretaceous
, and as JAGzilla pointed out,
Spoiler:
no other dinosaur movie can say their roster includes an aggressive Oviraptor
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.