IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Is the top of the panel doing a homage to the Ultraman paint swirl?
He Jock it Made of Steel

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Cool! They're going to have Titanosaurus talk in this! I guess Toho must be okay with it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:12 pm Cool! They're going to have Titanosaurus talk in this! I guess Toho must be okay with it.
I'd like to be wrong, but it looks like the dialogue box on the right was digitially added with text. I think it's just a gag. Still pretty funny.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:12 pm Cool! They're going to have Titanosaurus talk in this! I guess Toho must be okay with it.
So is Titanosaurus going to be a 4th wall breaker? Or maybe this is just an advertisement preview?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 am First look at Mothra vs. Titanosaurus interiors by Ferio Wind! Out in just over a month!

Titanosaurus encourages preorders!

I like what I'm seeing!

I've been away from the forums for some time, gotta catch up with the latest releases. :lol:
Formerly known as kurtzilla

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

All Titanosaurus wants is the next issue of his favorite series obviously.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:53 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:12 am Full cover for the trade of Rivals: Volume 1 has been revealed... and it has Gigan on it despite him not being in the first batch.

Can't help but find that amusing. Artist EJ Su said he did it over a year ago, which is why Gigan is there; Matt Frank's Japanese cover, which was presumably done much more recently, actually has the right monsters on it. A little surprised they evidently never tried to fix this one.
Looks like they actually managed to fix this after all, though Battra was largely covered up by text anyways. Still, props to Mr. Su for being able to redraw this on time, I know they usually can't fix covers like this since they're done so far in advance (as ROE can attest to).

Nice last minute work by EJ Su to replace Gigan with Battra....this might actually be the first time that I prefer the tradeback/paperback cover we're getting here stateside vs the exclusive Godzilla Store cover in Japan (Matt Frank's Japanese cover is alright....but EJ Su's is better and feels much more grand imho (although I do appreciate MF working in Kamacuras in the background to reflect his Rivals vs King Ghidorah appearance)
Shenanigans wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 am First look at Mothra vs. Titanosaurus interiors by Ferio Wind! Out in just over a month!

Titanosaurus encourages preorders!

Artwork looks very solid from this preview, and this pre-order ad is definitely encouraging for this to be released on time for it's current slated March release hopefully without any last minute delays that plagued this series last year with vs King Ghidorah & vs Gigan 🤞🏻

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:28 pm Art looks...decent. It's clear and easy to tell what's going on, and I like the coloring. Lots of lines, which I'm personally a little iffy on, but I feel like it will make the "wind" from Titanosaurus and Mothra really shine. The style adds a lot of "animation" to the comic; it's easy to imagine the helicopter blades twirling around as the egg rises out of the water.
The "Lots of lines" seems very Dave Wachter-esque, which is definitely not a bad thing. Speaking of Wachter, I'd like to see him (and Stokoe) return at some point and work on another G book beyond just drawking covers. I feel History's Greatest Monster issue 6(? Don't remember the exact issue of HGM Wachter worked on and am too lazy to look it up) & Godzilla: Cataclysm were both underwhelming, and his artwork deserves better stories to draw for.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:32 pm
I'd like to be wrong, but it looks like the dialogue box on the right was digitially added with text. I think it's just a gag. Still pretty funny.
Um..... :? Please tell me you two are joking....
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

The conflict is clearly Titanosaurus wants to wholesomely support brick and mortar buildings...but in the process causes destruction to other brick and mortar buildings. Mothra vouches for delivery or kindle to avoid destroying buildings but Titanosaurus doesn't want to support more corporations than necessary so the two start fighting.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:20 am The conflict is clearly Titanosaurus wants to wholesomely support brick and mortar buildings...but in the process causes destruction to other brick and mortar buildings. Mothra vouches for delivery or kindle to avoid destroying buildings but Titanosaurus doesn't want to support more corporations than necessary so the two start fighting.
Well, seeing as I have no way to LEGALLY read these comics in English other than through my American Amazon account I'm guessing I'm team Mothra, although I'd love to be Team Titanosaurus. I've been tight lipped about this, but since this modern era of Godzilla IDW comics I've been exclusively purchasing digital. It's a shame because there was a time where I had essentially two copies of each individual issue of the IDW run prior to moving here. While digital does have some adavatanges (storage), I'll miss being able to sit down with a comic and crack it open for the first time. I have a really notalgic memory of drinking tea and cracking open ROE#5 and being blown away by everything. The zoom in function on Kindle just isn't great for comic viewing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:23 pm

The pacing of this comic has been an issue, and this issue certainly highlights that. Some elements feel repetitive and the overall issue, while it does undeniably do a decent job setting up the finale, admittedly has little going for it beyond that setup.
The only thing undeniable about issue #4 is that it's perfect cure for insomnia.🥱 Seriously, I don't think I've ever read such a dull Godzilla comic since the Powell/Marsh/Santos Kingdom of Monsters days X_X

And such a dull comic is supposed to be aimed towards kids, who have shorter attention spans? :?: :!: :sss9: :keizer: So far, Gabara has been the only redeemable thing about this series.

Even though all parties are on a collision course, it does feel like a lot to go down in just one issue. Looking at the series as a whole, I'm getting the feeling they intend on doing a third installment down the road (the presence of the Xiliens in particular - I'll bet anything on another cliffhanger ending involving them, maybe unleashing a new monster like Gigan?).

Dear God I hope there's not another cliffhanger, as it'll mean they'll be continue with this underwhelming series....just end it already. :facepalm: Let's see something new ( from Freddie Williams, Stokoe, Wachter (and not just cover art work from these guys), or some of the great new artists they've recently had working on the RIVALS VS series (Adam Gorham, SidVenBlu, Phillip Johnson, SL Gallent), And if they're still on the "well, this series is geared towards kids!" schtick, then just bring back Mowry, Frank, and Zurnow for the Minilla/Showa-King Ghidorah arc of ROE and continue with issue #26...that series was by no means perfect, but at least it wasn't boring. In contrast, this series has just been a chore at times to get through.

One positive thing that issue #5 has going for it is that this RI cover by John Yurcaba looks really nice (he's done his best with his RI covers to make this series look much more interesting than it actually is)...we'll see whether the contents inside can actually live up to it or not.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Honestly, that’s an amazing cover, maybe one of the all time greats. There’s been many fantastic Godzilla covers, but many bad ones too, but that one blows me away. It’s weird seeing something like that, so perfectly executed, compared to the moody and somewhat strange other issues.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The covers for Monsters & Protectors - both series - have certainly been... strange. Good art, but some have been quite odd; if some of them didn't have the Godzilla logo you'd never know they were Godzilla comics.

Forgive me if I already posted this earlier, but the artist for Biollante vs. Destoroyah, Sean Dove, has been sharing a bit of artwork from the issue over the last couple months, confirming we'll be seeing multiple stages of both kaiju.
Spoiler:

First time we're seeing Biollante Rose in comics! Interestingly though, the one in the second picture looks like a mix of both Biollante's forms.

While its cool to see both kaiju evolving, one of the big "draws" of the issue in my eyes is seeing two of Godzilla's largest foes together, so I hope we see both of their final forms have a good battle at the end. Also just realizing - Biollante's been getting a lot of love in these comics lately, hasn't she? This'll be her second appearance in Rivals on top of 2021's significant role in Monsters & Protectors.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shenanigans wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:10 pm The covers for Monsters & Protectors - both series - have certainly been... strange. Good art, but some have been quite odd; if some of them didn't have the Godzilla logo you'd never know they were Godzilla comics.
The B covers of Andrea Bell have been awful....again, it you can't tell it's a Godzilla comic, then how do you expect kids with short attention spans to know? But then again, after seeing her "attempt" to draw King Ghidorah, maybe it's best she doesn't include any of the kaiju on her covers.

X_X :facepalm:

To her credit though, her Issue #1 B cover pretty much encapsulates this entire series in a nutshell

Forgive me if I already posted this earlier, but the artist for Biollante vs. Destoroyah, Sean Dove, has been sharing a bit of artwork from the issue over the last couple months, confirming we'll be seeing multiple stages of both kaiju.
Spoiler:

First time we're seeing Biollante Rose in comics! Interestingly though, the one in the second picture looks like a mix of both Biollante's forms.

While its cool to see both kaiju evolving, one of the big "draws" of the issue in my eyes is seeing two of Godzilla's largest foes together, so I hope we see both of their final forms have a good battle at the end. Also just realizing - Biollante's been getting a lot of love in these comics lately, hasn't she? This'll be her second appearance in Rivals on top of 2021's significant role in Monsters & Protectors.
Destoroyah's rare and underused flying stage was on display in G Cataclysm, and I'm happy that it seems it might be appearing again along with Biollante's Rose form (and you're right, the Rose form hasn't really appeared these books, which seems shocking considering how frequently Biollante has appeared in these books).
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

:shrug: Ghidorah looks fine. Ferrio Wind's art for the Titanosaurus issue really has me interested. Same with the Destoroyah issue. I like more experimentation on cartoony styles.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

You can tell it's a Godzilla Comic...by the fact that it has a Godzilla Title written in English very clearly! (plus these are alterantive covers, meaning that they'll be right next to a main cover).
Spoiler:
While Andrea Bell's art may not seem like the best representation of a Godzilla series, it (along with the bulk of the Yucaba art) isn't misleading or wrong in any way. The Monsters and Protectors sub-series, over the course of it's run, has generally put a greater emphasis on the children than just the monsters. I accept if this is a problem for you, but for me I don't think the Andrea Bell stuff is so bad. It represents a vibe, and I think it works for what it is. Ghidorah doesn't look fearsome or intimidating, but it's consistent with Bell's art style. That's all that matters to me.

Speaking of, Monsters and Protectors All Hail the King Issue 5 comes out in a few days. Here's the final cover by Andrea Bell:
Spoiler:
My personal favorite is still the Yurcaba one.

For the final issue of Monsters and Protectors All Hail the King, my expectations aren't low, but aren't super high. I expect there to be a decent amount of fun monster action between King Shisa, Godzilla, and King Ghidorah, but not in a way that's 100% satisfying. Regardless of the quality, it's a very unique set-up of fighters (King Shisa needs to fight more monsters, so I'm excited). I expect King Shisa and Godzilla to parallel Cedric and Godzilla, and if they get that part right, I'll have a LOT more respect for the comic. I don't mind if KG gets pushed to the side a little, so long as the King Shisa and Godzilla action and drama is unique and interesting.

Prediction:
-Godzilla/King Shisa is losing against King Ghidorah. The other monster enters. They do decently well and KG retreats midway through the issue. The victory is clear, so it's not super unsatisfying.

-King Shisa and Godzilla fight. That's the climactic fight. It ends with Godzilla and Shisa mirroring Karen and Cedric arguing.

-The Xilliens plans with Ghidorah are stopped, but it's not a half-assed resolution. Rather, it's not a resolution. What I mean by that is that it'll clearly show the Xilliens working towards or setting up a next plan for the next(?) miniseries.

I could also see King Shisa and Godzilla temporarily beating Ghidorah, temporarily knocking him out, before they fight. Ghidorah takes advantage of the situation and trounces them, before Godzilla and King Shisa works out their differences.

Issue 5 won't cause any grand revelations on the quality of the story either way, but it may cause me to view it slightly more positively or negatively depending on the outcome. It's clear that the pacing was a bit slow, and King Shisa should've appeared a little earlier (but then again he wouldn't have anything to do then), but there's little time to correct this. In either case I'm excited for the finale.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't mind those kiddy alt artworks either. I get the point of 'can you tell this piece is for this franchise without the title?' I do like that Ghidorah one but kid at desk? Yeah not super Godzilla-looking.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

StardustGenius wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:25 pm :shrug: Ghidorah looks fine. Ferrio Wind's art for the Titanosaurus issue really has me interested. Same with the Destoroyah issue. I like more experimentation on cartoony styles.
Cartoony styles are perfectly fine (see Matt Frank or Phillip Johnson's recent work from Rodan vs Ebirah)....provided they don't appear as if they were drawn by a 5 year old like Bell's "art".

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:57 pm While Andrea Bell's art may not seem like the best representation of a Godzilla series, it (along with the bulk of the Yucaba art) isn't misleading or wrong in any way.
If you're referring to her issue #1 B cover, then I agree 100%....in fact, it should be the representative cover for the eventual Tradeback/Paperback. :blackholealien:

The Monsters and Protectors sub-series, over the course of it's run, has generally put a greater emphasis on the children than just the monsters.
So what? It doesn't matter who it's aimed at if the overall series and storylines suck. The "it's aimed at children" is just a crutch for its short-comings at this point.
I accept if this is a problem for you, but for me I don't think the Andrea Bell stuff is so bad. It represents a vibe, and I think it works for what it is. Ghidorah doesn't look fearsome or intimidating, but it's consistent with Bell's art style. That's all that matters to me.
If covers that look like they were drawn by an elementary student are not so bad, then I accept if that's what truly that matters to some around here.

The usual contrarian "everything Godzilla is good!" vibes are very reminiscent of whenever a lackluster issue of Kingdom of Monsters or Godzilla: Oblivion was released ("Actually, I like it and think it's great, because..." -_- )
It's clear that the pacing was a bit slow, and King Shisa should've appeared a little earlier (but then again he wouldn't have anything to do then), but there's little time to correct this. In either case I'm excited for the finale.
Hope it lives up to your expectations, but I wouldn't hold my breath. In all honestly though, everything is subjective (no hard feelings at the end of the day), and I truly hope this last issue is a fun one, as we all win as G fans whenever we receive a good, quality G comic....I would love to be proven wrong and eat crow :shingodzillapurple:

Regardless, at least the Rivals vs series is there to pick up the slack whenever this series falters. :godzilla2021blue:

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I mean at this point it's all subjective when it comes to art. Andrea Bell's work is fine tho?
Last edited by StardustGenius on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If a 5-year old elementary school student can produce work of that caliber, I would absolutely be hiring them to do covers and interiors for my comic.

What a ridiculous description. You don't have to like her art style but saying it looks like a child drew it is just moronic.
ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:18 am So what? It doesn't matter who it's aimed at if the overall series and storylines suck. The "it's aimed at children" is just a crutch for its short-comings at this point.

The usual contrarian "everything Godzilla is good!" vibes are very reminiscent of whenever a lackluster issue of Kingdom of Monsters or Godzilla: Oblivion was released ("Actually, I like it and think it's great, because..." -_- )

I feel like you need to read both statements you're quoting again because it seems like you're making counters to arguments you've made up in your head.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:47 pm If a 5-year old elementary school student can produce work of that caliber, I would absolutely be hiring them to do covers and interiors for my comic.

What a ridiculous description. You don't have to like her art style but saying it looks like a child drew it is just moronic.