Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by CyberZilla »

I’m selfish and I wanna see Iris come back, but I understand that to really make that character shine, it takes time to build up. I’m still relatively new to watching through the Gamera movies in their entirety, so I’m not totally sure who I’d want to see reappear, but I’m curious what the new kaiju will be like.

Also, I’m… honestly okay with only 6 episodes. It means the animation quality should, hopefully, be consistent and solid. It also gives an opportunity for polish. As long as the quality matches the shorter episode count, I’ll keep holding that opinion. As much as I’d love a 12 count or even 22+ count season, I also want it to be a solid series that doesn’t try to stretch itself too thin, which longer seasons can tend to do (in some cases).
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaiju aren't really meant for long-running TV shows. Ultraman barely makes it work. So a short, sweet, to the point series like this is ideal, I'd say. Enough time to tell a good story, potentially a more elaborate one than would fit in a movie's runtime, but not so long that it becomes repetitive or needs to pad itself out with filler.

Five monsters! I expect Gamera to be alone in the first episode. They'll establish him first, probably have humanity questioning his intent, then bring in villains for him to fight. I... don't know who to expect. Daiei has historically made a point of not reusing Gamera kaiju outside of the Gyaos, so I would say there's a good chance that tradition will continue. I hope so, really. I'd like to see Guiron or Barugon or Zigra return, but I think fresh new faces would be more interesting.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:23 pm I’m selfish and I wanna see Iris come back, but I understand that to really make that character shine, it takes time to build up. I’m still relatively new to watching through the Gamera movies in their entirety, so I’m not totally sure who I’d want to see reappear, but I’m curious what the new kaiju will be like.

Also, I’m… honestly okay with only 6 episodes. It means the animation quality should, hopefully, be consistent and solid. It also gives an opportunity for polish. As long as the quality matches the shorter episode count, I’ll keep holding that opinion. As much as I’d love a 12 count or even 22+ count season, I also want it to be a solid series that doesn’t try to stretch itself too thin, which longer seasons can tend to do (in some cases).
I also would love to see Iris back as well since it’s my favorite Gamera foe. A 3D animated Iris would also be super interesting to watch. I guess it all depends on how the episodes are done like length, pacing, story structure, etc. I think they could pull it off if they wanted too.

I think six episodes will be good as well. Based off the trailer, it seems to be more monster of the episode style, so I think it allows them to focus on the fights.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 pm Five monsters! I expect Gamera to be alone in the first episode. They'll establish him first, probably have humanity questioning his intent, then bring in villains for him to fight. I... don't know who to expect. Daiei has historically made a point of not reusing Gamera kaiju outside of the Gyaos, so I would say there's a good chance that tradition will continue. I hope so, really. I'd like to see Guiron or Barugon or Zigra return, but I think fresh new faces would be more interesting.
I think personally Gamera is much more suited to "Gyaos or some other monster show up and are the focus of an episode", with Gamera showing up midway/at the end and fighting Gyaos, while gradually getting development over the course of the series. I think the fact that we have a GYAOS poster already, means its likely we'll get a GUIRON or the likes poster soon. Also worth mentioning that the Gamera enemies have frequently appeared in the Gamera comics. Dark Horse has Zigra and Viras reappear, while that Kodansha comic has a Heisei-fied Barugon.

In regards to Iris, Iris is honestly the only monster of the bunch that seems difficult to plop in; it's connected to the gyaos and in it's original film has heavy ties to a specific human character and lots of lore behind it. All the other Gamera monsters are like "Oh Barugon/Jiger are sleeping, don't wake them up!" or "Hey we are aliens that came out of nowhere and are here to invade! (Viras, Zigra, Legion").
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think they'll save Legion for season 2. Also, who says some kaiju from the cutting room floor can't ger their chance to shine?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:40 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 pm Five monsters! I expect Gamera to be alone in the first episode. They'll establish him first, probably have humanity questioning his intent, then bring in villains for him to fight. I... don't know who to expect. Daiei has historically made a point of not reusing Gamera kaiju outside of the Gyaos, so I would say there's a good chance that tradition will continue. I hope so, really. I'd like to see Guiron or Barugon or Zigra return, but I think fresh new faces would be more interesting.
I think personally Gamera is much more suited to "Gyaos or some other monster show up and are the focus of an episode", with Gamera showing up midway/at the end and fighting Gyaos, while gradually getting development over the course of the series. I think the fact that we have a GYAOS poster already, means its likely we'll get a GUIRON or the likes poster soon. Also worth mentioning that the Gamera enemies have frequently appeared in the Gamera comics. Dark Horse has Zigra and Viras reappear, while that Kodansha comic has a Heisei-fied Barugon.

In regards to Iris, Iris is honestly the only monster of the bunch that seems difficult to plop in; it's connected to the gyaos and in it's original film has heavy ties to a specific human character and lots of lore behind it. All the other Gamera monsters are like "Oh Barugon/Jiger are sleeping, don't wake them up!" or "Hey we are aliens that came out of nowhere and are here to invade! (Viras, Zigra, Legion").
I actually didn’t know about the comics part, that’s actually interesting. On the topic of Iris, to play devils advocate, they could always just change the origin. It’s not like they haven’t done that with Biollante for example. I think she’s had a different origin in every appearance since her movie or they’ve just straight up ignored it.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I’m sure the whole thing is gonna be 3D cel-shaded computer animated by the Polygon Godzilla trilogy.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Irys is the antithesis of Gamera, so maybe it'll be saved for the final episode.

Otherwise, Guiron and Zigra would be striking visually. Guiron's unique head could be shown in interesting ways by the animators, while Zigra's profile moving swiftly through the water would echo Gamera's flight in the air.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gamera will probably have 4 opponents over 4 episodes and the last opponet will be a two partner.

Episode 1: Gayos
Ep 2: Baurgon
Ep3 : Virus
Episode 4: Zigra
Episode 5 and 6: New monster

Something like that.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:39 pm Gamera will probably have 4 opponents over 4 episodes and the last opponet will be a two partner.
I hadn't thought about it that way, but I can easily see that happening.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

The new teaser was short, but sweet. :)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Going throught the kaiju gallery of Gamera just made me realise how different Gamera is with his kaijus compared to Ultraman or Godzilla. Unlike those Gamera has more focus on quadrupedal kaijus and even some weirder choices like Viras, Zigra or Legion. I do hope that whichever new kaijus they come up with will be as unconventional as this the movies.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

According to the Gamera Rebirth Twitter page, we will be getting more info March 25th, at the AnimeJapan 2023 event.

https://twitter.com/gamera_rebirth/stat ... 5257377798
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Shell comparison with the 2015 short. Might not be 1:1, but the similarities are pretty obvious. Same with the Gyaos silhouette (though as previously noted, all post-Showa Gyaos look pretty identical). Either way, I do wonder if this project is a sort of repackaging of whatever they had planned for the scrapped film (maybe with more kaiju added). Suppose we'll have to wait and see if Mr. Tentacles shows up.

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 pm Kaiju aren't really meant for long-running TV shows. Ultraman barely makes it work. So a short, sweet, to the point series like this is ideal, I'd say.
Hard disagree, especially with regards to Ultraman, but to each their own I suppose.

While I'll a bit surprised to see so many in favor of such a short little series (the times they are a-changin'), I will say I just hope they take proper advantage of the format. I know one common critique of recent miniseries, especially the ones Disney puts out, is that they're treated like six-hour overly-padded films rather than, well, a series. Granted, confirming the inclusion of 5 kaiju across 6 episodes right off the bat alleviates most of that fear with what appears to be confirmation that they're going for a more traditional "monster of the week" approach, but only time will tell.

It is interesting that they're confirming the number of kaiju right out of the gate like this; makes it appear that they're putting emphasis on the monsters/action before all else. Not the worst thing.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Only 6 episodes eh? Gotta make em count. Hopefully this won't be a detriment. Maybe this should have been like a miniseries. Several hour long episodes. If this is 6 22 minutes episodes. It might feel rushed.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

The fact they are emphasizing the "vs. 5 Kaiju" gives me hope this series will focus on Gamera.

While I like Godzilla: Singular Point, its not a series I particularly love or feel any inclination to watch further. Yes, it has great action sequences but nearly all of them involve Jet Jaguar, to the point where the mech literally steals the show (both in heart and soul) away from Godzilla. For this show, I'd like Gamera to be center stage and hoping the cast work well off each other, along with the monster.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I just want Barugon and Guiron to make their long awaited returns.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am Animation reminds me of Polygon's Godzilla trilogy. I hope I'm wrong.
Meh, most of my problems with the Polygon trilogy come from barely making use of that animation, let alone the let-down that is the writing.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 am
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am Animation reminds me of Polygon's Godzilla trilogy. I hope I'm wrong.
Meh, most of my problems with the Polygon trilogy come from barely making use of that animation, let alone the let-down that is the writing.
I felt like "framerate", not sure if that is the correct term, was wonky in the Polygon trilogy.