65, from the Creators of A Quiet Place

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: 65, from the Creators of A Quiet Place

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Seems not only will they have dinosaurs to contend with but the impending asteroid as well.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

New trailer to the dinosaur survival horror epic.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm skeptical over the decision not to make the dinos up-to-date with modern science.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:39 am I'm skeptical over the decision not to make the dinos up-to-date with modern science.
This movie literally has humans as a non-native scientifically advanced spacefaring race existing ~65 mya.

You genuinely have nobody to blame but yourself if you're expecting documentary tier animals from a movie like this.

Genuinely, what would the boon of having up-to-date scientifically accurate dinosaurs be when literally everything else about this movie decidedly isn't?

It's like if you ordered a hamburger, but instead of bun, ketchup, pickles, tomato, onions, lettuce, patty, bun, it's sandwich bread, spaghetti sauce, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, cabbage, patty, sandwich bread. Sure, everything else is way off base, but at least they got the patty right?!
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Should have just made it a futuristic movie with humans stuck on an actual alien planet of alien dinosaurs. You know, like Planet of Dinosaurs. I'll prolly wait for this to come out on video. One big red flag is there seems to be no other characters besides Adam Driver and the girl. That means, at best, we'll see Adam Driver sacrafice himself to save the girl at the end. But for any realy dinosaur carnage and kills... Prolly not going to be any. Such a wasted concept (again).

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:21 pm Should have just made it a futuristic movie with humans stuck on an actual alien planet of alien dinosaurs. You know, like Planet of Dinosaurs. I'll prolly wait for this to come out on video. One big red flag is there seems to be no other characters besides Adam Driver and the girl. That means, at best, we'll see Adam Driver sacrafice himself to save the girl at the end. But for any realy dinosaur carnage and kills... Prolly not going to be any. Such a wasted concept (again).
I'd kill for an adaptation of Carnivores video games. A massive corporation sets up a hunting business on an alien planet that hosts alien life that looks nearly identical to 19th and early 20th century depictions of prehistoric life.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

NSZ wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:56 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:39 am I'm skeptical over the decision not to make the dinos up-to-date with modern science.
This movie literally has humans as a non-native scientifically advanced spacefaring race existing ~65 mya.

You genuinely have nobody to blame but yourself if you're expecting documentary tier animals from a movie like this.

Genuinely, what would the boon of having up-to-date scientifically accurate dinosaurs be when literally everything else about this movie decidedly isn't?
Who says accurate dinosaurs have to be documentary-exclusive?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Yeah, these dinosaur designs are just ugly, whether they're accurate or not.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:12 pm
NSZ wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:56 am

Who says accurate dinosaurs have to be documentary-exclusive?
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said accurate dinosaurs needed to be exclusive to documentaries, I said accurate documentary-tier dinosaurs would be wasted on a movie like this.

This isn't Jurassic where the goal starting out was to educate audiences on what dinosaurs were actually like until that started getting derailed by the third movie.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

These designs are pretty derivative to downright bad. Sad as with the Quiet Place guys and Sam Raimi you think they could've come up with something more original.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:21 pm One big red flag is there seems to be no other characters besides Adam Driver and the girl. That means, at best, we'll see Adam Driver sacrafice himself to save the girl at the end. But for any realy dinosaur carnage and kills... Prolly not going to be any. Such a wasted concept (again).
Same, it's especially a bummer considerin one of the trailers stated Adam Driver traveled with 35 other people on his ship. Feels very wasted to me too. A movie like this aiming to be dark and scary surely should have some kills in it to raise the odds as we all can assume that the girl will make it out alive and Adam Driver will be around for at least three-quarters of the film.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:21 pm One big red flag is there seems to be no other characters besides Adam Driver and the girl. That means, at best, we'll see Adam Driver sacrafice himself to save the girl at the end. But for any realy dinosaur carnage and kills... Prolly not going to be any. Such a wasted concept (again).
Same, it's especially a bummer considerin one of the trailers stated Adam Driver traveled with 35 other people on his ship. Feels very wasted to me too. A movie like this aiming to be dark and scary surely should have some kills in it to raise the odds as we all can assume that the girl will make it out alive and Adam Driver will be around for at least three-quarters of the film.
And this is me assuming Adam Driver does, also. Another part of me is thinking they're setting up an Adam and Eve ending, which is rather disturbing considering she's a child.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I agree the designs are kind of a miss in the sense they appear to be generic movie monster theropods. At the same time I don't think they're horrible.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I don't understand why it would be a waste of time to try making the dinosaurs accurate and up-to-date in a modern blockbuster. Was a waste of time back in 1993 when they tried making their dinos as accurate as they could with the time?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:53 pm I don't understand why it would be a waste of time to try making the dinosaurs accurate and up-to-date in a modern blockbuster.
Artistic expression and liberty.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:53 pm I don't understand why it would be a waste of time to try making the dinosaurs accurate and up-to-date in a modern blockbuster. Was a waste of time back in 1993 when they tried making their dinos as accurate as they could with the time?
Orrrrr it might just have to do with the fact that realistic dinosaurs just aren't that scary looking. T-Rexes have come a long way. Gone are the big, always grinning face of steak knife teeth... And replaced now with a cute, bear-like muzzle.

Quote of the Year:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:10 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:53 pm I don't understand why it would be a waste of time to try making the dinosaurs accurate and up-to-date in a modern blockbuster. Was a waste of time back in 1993 when they tried making their dinos as accurate as they could with the time?
Orrrrr it might just have to do with the fact that realistic dinosaurs just aren't that scary looking. T-Rexes have come a long way. Gone are the big, always grinning face of steak knife teeth... And replaced now with a cute, bear-like muzzle.
If modern animals like bears can be just as capable of being threatening as being cute, why can't the same apply to dinosaurs?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:16 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:10 pm
If modern animals like bears can be just as capable of being threatening as being cute, why can't the same apply to dinosaurs?
Because we're talking something that's 30 feet tall. Look man, I don't know what to tell ya'. What's even the point of 100% accurate looking dinosaurs if they're also not going to actually act like real animals. Dinosaurs in cinema are monsters first and real animals maybe third. Do you really think everything would look at a human and be like "Hey, free food." when it wasn't on their diet for millions of years prior?

Quote of the Year:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like Legendzilla read this article and is just parroting what it says:
https://www.cbr.com/65-movie-trailer-pa ... ccuracies/

Honestly, who cares. MM is right about movie dinosaurs being distinctive monsters and creatures seperate from actual reality.

I said it early, and I'll repeat it again.

Take a deep breath, and say it to yourself once, twice, and three times once over:
Artistic expression and liberty....

Like MM, I'm more annoyed by the choice of "only survivors". Dino carnage is a must. Perhaps the tagline is a little misleading; maybe the other survivors will be killed off on the planet early on by dinosaurs, in like the first 20 minutes, but the rest will be focused on survival. That, or maybe they'll meet other humans a civilization there. The premise feels too simple, and mysterious, to just be that.

Edit: Worth remembering this is by the writers of A Quiet Place, both of which were pg-13. I liked A Quiet Place, but I didn't love it. Perhaps we should keep our expectations in check.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Jurassic movies get away with plenty of carnage and kills while staying PG-13.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio