Lost Project Discussion: Clive Barker's Godzilla Treatment (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Clive Barker's Godzilla Treatment (1993)

Post by GojiDog »

Tiny coincidence. I just got done reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood, so his work is fresh on my mind.

And considering how well his work was adapted to film with Candyman...I wouldn't have minded seeing his take on Godzilla. The apocalyptic idea is very cool.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Clive Barker's Godzilla probably would have been very badass, I think his design would have been very hellish in nature, all black in color and lots of spikes with maybe even some small horns above his eyes.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

It couldn't have been any worse than the monstrosity (no pun intended) we got in 1998 from Devlin and Emmerich.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Clive's big with fantasy elements so I could see a supernatural take of Godzilla if he ever got his hands on the character.

Or at least a very homoerotic take :lol:
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I've gone back to read this thread and I got to use Midjourney AI (AI should be only for fun, not a replacement for art) and brought to life in some extent what Clive Barker's Godzilla could have looked like, hopefully you guys enjoy it!
https://youtu.be/ubMXNCO_Mm0
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Excellent trailer, preview reel of what could've been. Thinking back to the end of the Millenium. A lot of talk about the odometer flipping over to 2000, from the 1900's possibly signaling the end of the world being on the minds of many. Top it off with the Y2K Bug anxiety in 99'. Then seeing this reel with the synth score of the Maestro's Godzilla dirge from the original puts one in a rather somber, heavy mood. Plus Godzilla's look, which reminds me a bit of his Marvel look by Herb Trimpe, and the heavy, dark tones featured also bring on a Lovecraftian vibe. Godzilla being this ancient, primordial, nigh unstoppable force out of H.P.'s works.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

The One and Only wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:59 pm Excellent trailer, preview reel of what could've been. Thinking back to the end of the Millenium. A lot of talk about the odometer flipping over to 2000, from the 1900's possibly signaling the end of the world being on the minds of many. Top it off with the Y2K Bug anxiety in 99'. Then seeing this reel with the synth score of the Maestro's Godzilla dirge from the original puts one in a rather somber, heavy mood. Plus Godzilla's look, which reminds me a bit of his Marvel look by Herb Trimpe, and the heavy, dark tones featured also bring on a Lovecraftian vibe. Godzilla being this ancient, primordial, nigh unstoppable force out of H.P.'s works.
Thanks, it really is one of the darkest and most interesting of the unmade Godzilla films. If I could somehow reach out to Clive Barker, I'd absolutely ask him about this project.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Just discovered this a little while ago. I admittedly get the whole thing about the movie being too dark for the fun, Summer blockbuster they wanted (especially considering the year this script was apparently written, Sony probably had Jurassic Park on the brain), but I do wonder if the script is still somewhere in TriStar's vault and just hasn't been released. That, or someone could try tracking down Clive for details, but he's been pretty radio silent.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Clive barker doesn't pull any punches with his stories. I imagine there would've been alot of heavy clash between him and the producers. They definitely would've have tried to keep him on a leash, in which case, what would've been the point anyway.