Random Musings and Factoids Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: Random Musings and Factoids Thread

Post by H-Man »

I'm not sure if anyone has said this anywhere else, but apparently the 1968 Jess Franco film Succubus has a scene where the lead actress, Janine Reynauld, is having a session with her psychologist. During their conversation, he asks her what she thinks of horror movies. She says that they're her one weakness--normally she finds movies boring. The dialog more or less proceeds like this:

"Do you find Dracula scary?"
"No."
"What about the Phantom of the Opera?"
"No."
"What about Frankenstein?"
"No. I find them all sweet."
(therapist holds up a Godzilla toy)
"What about this dinosaur?"

That makes me think of the alternate world in which we got:

King Kong vs. this Dinosaur!
This Dinosaur's Revenge
This Dinosaur on Monster Island
This Dinosaur Raids Again

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

H-Man wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:22 pm I'm not sure if anyone has said this anywhere else, but apparently the 1968 Jess Franco film Succubus has a scene where the lead actress, Janine Reynauld, is having a session with her psychologist. During their conversation, he asks her what she thinks of horror movies. She says that they're her one weakness--normally she finds movies boring. The dialog more or less proceeds like this:

"Do you find Dracula scary?"
"No."
"What about the Phantom of the Opera?"
"No."
"What about Frankenstein?"
"No. I find them all sweet."
(therapist holds up a Godzilla toy)
"What about this dinosaur?"

That makes me think of the alternate world in which we got:

King Kong vs. this Dinosaur!
This Dinosaur's Revenge
This Dinosaur on Monster Island
Now my brain is just making parody titles.

This Dinosaur: King of This Monster
This Dinosaur vs the Thing
Shin This Dinosaur

Now I’m gonna be calling my Godzilla stuff “This Dinosaur merch” for the foreseeable future.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

This Dinosaur vs This Dinosaur but a robot

dagarah
Ronin

Post by dagarah »

Or how about '' THIS DINOSAUR : FINAL WARS '' ...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Son of This Dinosaur
This Dinosaur in Hell
This Dinosaur: The Series

MechaThisDinosaur
Spacethisdinosaur
Burning This Dinosaur

... honestly, that last one would be a good name for a band.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Carrerasaurus
Yojimbo

Post by Carrerasaurus »

This Dinosaur: Save the Earth

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

This Dinosaur, The Thing And Monster Zero: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You can do so much with that.

Of all Godzilla's foes, none have really used the element of ice. GAV could have done this with Anguirus, but the moves have never utilized an ice themed kaiju or one with ice powers. With Godzilla being fire, such an enemy seems a good fit for a foe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:28 pm You can do so much with that.

Of all Godzilla's foes, none have really used the element of ice. GAV could have done this with Anguirus, but the moves have never utilized an ice themed kaiju or one with ice powers. With Godzilla being fire, such an enemy seems a good fit for a foe.
Imagine a hypothetical scenario where Godzilla fights an ice related Kaiju akin to this, fires his atomic breath and it just gets split and frozen mid air. Would be one hell of a metal visual.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Funnily enough while there are no ice creatures, two pretty siginifcant military weapons, the Super X-3 and Kiryu are outfitted with freezing weapons. It's easy to forget, but in a roundabout way Kiryu is hilariously enough the closest thing we have to an ice monster by default.

Son of Godzilla also ends with Godzilla and Minya being frozen. Snow and Ice a rarity in the genre.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Only a handful of kaiju movies even feature snowy settings. KKE, G:AoL, and GFW are the only ones immediately coming to mind.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Don't forget GRA. We see a lovely winter scene near the end, and then there's the avalanche that buries Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And Son of Godzilla of course. Also Gorath.

What's G:AoL?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:39 am And Son of Godzilla of course. Also Gorath.

What's G:AoL?
LSD already brought up Son of Godzilla, although technically it doesn't really count as a snowy setting. It was more like a snow-based weapon. But yeah, I forgot Gorath. G:AoL is Gamera: Attack of Legion; I forgot we were talking specifically about Godzilla/Toho. As long as we're broadening the list, though, Gamera: The Giant Monster also starts out in the Arctic, so it should be added. PR:U and KOTM 19, too.

So my initial point is kind of dead now. There are actually quite a few kaiju movies set at least partially in a snowy, icy location.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Godzilla: Final Wars erasure :(
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 am Godzilla: Final Wars erasure :(
JAGzilla did mention GFW so you’re all good mate :gordon:

Wish we could erase the sin that is PR: Uprising, though…
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The opening scene of Godzilla Tokyo SOS with Mothra and the cabin features light flurries!

But yes, while more places in the franchise feature the arctic, actual natural snow in specifically the Godzilla franchise is incredibly rare. None of the Showa Godzilla entries, except for GRA, feature contemporary Japan having a snowstorm. Same goes for Heisei. I keep wanting to make a list of what seasons each of the films take place in, but I know without much introspection winter will rank last, with maybe Fall standing out on top.

Japan gets a lot of snow btw. The region I live in on the Eastern Sea of the country is notorious for heavy snowfall. Same goes for Hokkaido. Tokyo can get a lot of snow, but not as much as the other regions.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Godzilla emerging out of the water in an arctic environment surrounded by glaciers and accompanied by an Aurora Borealis would honestly be a magnificent visual.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

while it's not the Northern Lights, the Ultra kaiju Prisma is accompanied by something similar. Colorful bands of red and green shine above the crystalline kaiju.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Maguma and the walrus from Pingu are polar opposites. (pun not intended)

Maguma was a giant walrus who was meant to be scary, but people overseas thought he looked goofy, and an attempt to make him scarier by using Rodan's roar and covering his scenes with fog didn't help. Meanwhile, the Pingu walrus was meant to be goofy, but kids at home AND overseas thought it was pants-shittingly terrifying, and they apparently had to remove the original audio from the episode where its laughter used to be pigs screeches in order to make him less scary, but it didn't help and the episode is now infamously banned.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!