What made your day? KAI

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What made your day? KAI

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 am ^ Hey, even if you are getting rejected, at least you're trying. That's what counts. You're making the effort and you have the confidence to put your work out there and go somewhere with it. I assume you get some kind of feedback when your stories get rejected, right? Constructive criticism so you understand where you went wrong?
Thanks for the encouragement, really!

Actually, big places and publications (like clarkesworld) don’t provide any feedback whatsoever. Most small publications and literary publications don’t either. All of this is due to the fact that writing short stories for a living and profit is nigh impossible, but easy to do. Anyone can pick up a pen and paper (or in our modern era a type writer) and submit stories, so the competition is high. Most publications have like a 2% acceptance rate.

It’s okay though: I don’t think I do things “wrong” at this point. Some peers of mine, who I highly respect, are entertained my stories, and I like them, so that’s good enough. I don’t mean that in an arrogant way, just that I’m personally satisfied with my output, and I only send editors semi-finalized versions; everything I send has intent behind it.

I am always curious why I was rejected. There’s publications that editors have specific tastes and interests, even behind genre, so I always want to know why they rejected it, even if it’s something like a grammar mistake.

Oh well. At the very least I won’t lose motivation on this any time soon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:10 pm I've written three decently long short stories over the past couple of months (about 5000-8000 a pop). I've been editing them, drafting them, and submitting them to publications. While they've all been rejected, by multiple publications with varying standards I've gotten used to rejections as part of the process, and I feel proud to be writing and actually get rejections. It means I've put myself out there as a writing. Best of all, despite the rejections I'm still personally pleased with the stories I've written, and an inner circle of people that I communicate with daily like my work and are entertained by it so I'm pleased.

Unfortunately I can't share them on here now, because many publications want exclusitivity (not being posted online and being read more by a very small handful of people), but if this all fails in a couple of years maybe I'll post them here.

That's not what made my day though. Today I sat down and wrote 2000 words. The more I'm writing daily and as a process the easier it is to sit down and actually write. I feel like a proper author/writer already, just need to actually start getting stuff published...which is exceedingly impossible! I feel very lucky to be able to have the life where I can afford to devote a few hours a day to writing. :D
Proud of you man! Keep up the hard work, it's inspiring to know how many words you've been writing. Three short stories too? Awesomeness. As a writer myself (I haven't published anything yet) it's cool to see how much you've done! Kiryu would be proud :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

There's nothing better than relaxing in your warm house while watching the snow fall.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/01/2 ... mauna-kea/

I wonder what that could be?

*cue Gamera theme*
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Bistec encebollado from this Cuban restaurant behind my house. Didn't know it was there. It was absolutely delicious.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Getting the Y-MSF Behemoth action figure and placing it on one of my kaiju/tokusatsu shelves next to the Mego Ultraman.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Well, last night was my last day of my job. This marks a significant achievement for me- the first job I've ever properly quit with a two week notice, rather than storming out :lol:
Going forward I'm going to pressure myself to get film work or make money through other self sufficient means. No more bosses if I can avoid it or if it's not film related.
It feels like I'm really entering a new chapter of my life.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:01 pm Well, last night was my last day of my job. This marks a significant achievement for me- the first job I've ever properly quit with a two week notice, rather than storming out :lol:
Going forward I'm going to pressure myself to get film work or make money through other self sufficient means. No more bosses if I can avoid it or if it's not film related.
It feels like I'm really entering a new chapter of my life.
Good luck and best wishes!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Apparently...I'm now part of a jury for a local film festival!

I'm essentially being sent short films from all around the world and I have to watch them and send them to a second pool. Mind you most of these will be short films. After my selection is done, I'll be meeting with the other jurors and screeners on another day to decide which films we'll air publically. It's exciting!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Hell yeah! Couldn't have picked a better person for the job.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:25 pm Apparently...I'm now part of a jury for a local film festival!

I'm essentially being sent short films from all around the world and I have to watch them and send them to a second pool. Mind you most of these will be short films. After my selection is done, I'll be meeting with the other jurors and screeners on another day to decide which films we'll air publically. It's exciting!
Congrats!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Sorry for the double post, but I feel this is worth it.

I just found out that both of Toho's Kong movies will be screened in 35mm here in Helsinki this March!! What's even cooler is that KKvsG will be shown on my birthday! OMG, I cannot wait!! :D :D :D

https://kinoregina.fi/teemat/king-kongin-paluu/
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

G-Matt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm Sorry for the double post, but I feel this is worth it.

I just found out that both of Toho's Kong movies will be screened in 35mm here in Helsinki this March!! What's even cooler is that KKvsG will be shown on my birthday! OMG, I cannot wait!! :D :D :D

https://kinoregina.fi/teemat/king-kongin-paluu/
Luckyyyyyyy! Enjoy them extra for all of us! The original King Kong is being shown at an exhibit for the anniversary of the original film nearby me but I likely won't be able to make it.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Applied for a few acting roles, and one of them got back to me! Have to send in an audition tape and see where things go...
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I finally got through the backstory part of my story bible. That part has plagued me for almost a decade at this point, despite the fact that its largely irrelevant to the actual story (Im going for the approach of the backstory being hinted at through the environment and character interactions but never explicitly spelled out). And yet, Ive been stuck on that part for years. Partially due to a lack of clarity in the identity of the world I was trying to craft. Nevertheless, the backstory is done, and I can finally get to work, since Ive pretty much known how the actual full plot of the story was going to be for years now. It was quite literally just the backstory that held me back.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Yesterday was my birthday. We went to Idaho.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

My favorite video game is getting revived on the Switch! :D

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

This redesign of the Feral Predator. It's beautiful.

https://imgur.io/UqWj2bu?r
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

Wow, congratulations! That's a great achievement. Getting good grades in final exams is a sign of hard work and dedication to your studies. And having a 10-day break is a great reward for all your efforts. Make sure to take some time to relax and recharge before the next semester starts. It's important to take breaks and have time for self-care. Enjoy your time off!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Got to ban my first person from the Kaiju Hugbox server. :D

That shit felt good.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?