Shin Ultraman General Discussion (spoilers!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shin Ultraman General Discussion (spoilers!)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:10 pm If I were doing Shin Ultraman in America I'd have Zarab or Mefilas doing a TED Talk about how their plans are really great for mankind.
That would be incredible, and absolute gold! I could even see a dumb parody with Mefilas as Mr. Beast.

"Mr. Mefilas!"
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:39 am
Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:10 pm If I were doing Shin Ultraman in America I'd have Zarab or Mefilas doing a TED Talk about how their plans are really great for mankind.
That would be incredible, and absolute gold! I could even see a dumb parody with Mefilas as Mr. Beast.

"Mr. Mefilas!"
Mefilas with a YouTube channel is something I now desperately need to see.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 am
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:39 am

"Mr. Mefilas!"
Mefilas with a YouTube channel is something I now desperately need to see.
"And remember everyone, please SMASH that like button. It's one of my favorite sayings."

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Loved this movie to death. Felt like a 5 episode long remake of the original show compiled into one movie. It’s basically what I wish Man of Steel was and what I want to next Superman to be: a modern reimagining of a classic hero that still keeps the heart, soul, and charm of the original.

I think I’d rather have a “Shin Ultraseven” over a “Shin Godzilla Raids Again” now
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

Watched it subbed. I've seen it discussed before but I definitely felt the religious symbolism in this film. IIRC Tsuburaya was a Catholic. Mefilas and Ultraman in particular have a really neat dichotomy, with Mefilas coming off as a cunning, charismatic tempter trying to coax humanity into giving into its fear and selfishness while Ultraman functions as a shepherd trying to guide humans toward their potential out of compassion (who also happened to pass as a human). I'd even compare the whole park and Izakaya sequence to Satan and Jesus in the desert if I didn't know better. Definitely helps how well the actors play their roles, particularly with line delivery. Zarab is clearly a trickster, Mefilas is a poised gentleman, and Zoffy is a cold, rigid superior. The scene where he deploys Zetton is so chilling, and that weird close-up really embellishes it.
Last edited by Andagi1 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Andagi1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:01 am Watched it subbed. I've seen it discussed before but I definitely felt the religious symbolism in this film. IIRC Tsuburaya was a Catholic. Mefilas and Ultraman in particular have a really neat dichotomy, with Mefilas coming off as a cunning, charismatic tempter trying to coax humanity into giving into its fear and selfishness while Ultraman functions as a shepherd trying to guide humans toward their potential out of compassion (who also happened to pass as a human). I'd even compare the whole park and Izakaya sequence to Satan and Jesus in the desert if I didn't know better. Definitely helps how well the actors play their roles, particularly with line delivery. Zarab is clearly a trickster, Mefilas is a poised gentleman, and Zoffy is a cold, rigid superior. The scene where he deploys Zetton is so chilling, and that weird close-up really embellishes it.
I hadn't considered that exact frame of viewing, but that wouldn't surprise me in the least, and I see exactly what you're talking about. In many ways, the entire plot of the film can be comparable to the transition from old to new testament. There's someone that dies and is resurrected, who ultimately dies for humanities sins, or at least to prove they are worth something. In many ways, Zoffy is god, Old Testament, and Zetton represents a catastrophe akin to the Great Flood, or god smiting civilizations.

Anno likes Christian and Jewish symbolism and esotericism in his works, so even ignoring Tsuburaya it makes sense that that would be there.

Great catch!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

As a Christian myself, those parallels definitely seemed intentional. It adds another layer to the movie that I appreciate.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

There were definitely heavy Christian themes in Shin Ultra, and the bit that really nailed it for me was my favorite bit of the movie: when Ultraman was catching Gabora's beam, arms spread, with the visual of his energy giving out. Obviously y'all hit the nail on the head with Zarab and Melfias.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:31 am
Andagi1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:01 am Watched it subbed. I've seen it discussed before but I definitely felt the religious symbolism in this film. IIRC Tsuburaya was a Catholic. Mefilas and Ultraman in particular have a really neat dichotomy, with Mefilas coming off as a cunning, charismatic tempter trying to coax humanity into giving into its fear and selfishness while Ultraman functions as a shepherd trying to guide humans toward their potential out of compassion (who also happened to pass as a human). I'd even compare the whole park and Izakaya sequence to Satan and Jesus in the desert if I didn't know better. Definitely helps how well the actors play their roles, particularly with line delivery. Zarab is clearly a trickster, Mefilas is a poised gentleman, and Zoffy is a cold, rigid superior. The scene where he deploys Zetton is so chilling, and that weird close-up really embellishes it.
I hadn't considered that exact frame of viewing, but that wouldn't surprise me in the least, and I see exactly what you're talking about. In many ways, the entire plot of the film can be comparable to the transition from old to new testament. There's someone that dies and is resurrected, who ultimately dies for humanities sins, or at least to prove they are worth something. In many ways, Zoffy is god, Old Testament, and Zetton represents a catastrophe akin to the Great Flood, or god smiting civilizations.

Anno likes Christian and Jewish symbolism and esotericism in his works, so even ignoring Tsuburaya it makes sense that that would be there.

Great catch!
I can totally see that sort of dynamic now that you mention it. I think Zetton's theme on the OST is even called "Original Sin," with the lyrics giving me fall of man vibes.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Andagi1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:15 pm I can totally see that sort of dynamic now that you mention it. I think Zetton's theme on the OST is even called "Original Sin," with the lyrics giving me fall of man vibes.
Indeed. “Original Sin” indirectly references the story of, well, original sin from Genesis, while straight up naming the 7 deadly sins. It’s a chilling song and perfect for the Zetton arc in the film.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resized Image

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Had to briefly return just to say: this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Went to an empty theater with a fellow sci-fi fan, and we both started nodding off in the third act. Pathetic.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Ignoring what Rando is saying (Shin Ultraman was great and you can't change my mind)

An Out of Body State was an amazing song, and hearing it in theaters blew me away, along with the movie being amazing itself, paired for a breathtaking experience for me.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:39 pm Ignoring what Rando is saying (Shin Ultraman was great and you can't change my mind)

An Out of Body State was an amazing song, and hearing it in theaters blew me away, along with the movie being amazing itself, paired for a breathtaking experience for me.
I was so blown away by it when I heard it in the theater. I’ve been pumping it every now and then on YouTube because it’s just that good (hope it comes to Spotify soon so I can add it to the necessary playlists!).

Resized Image

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

CyberZilla wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:25 am
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:39 pm Ignoring what Rando is saying (Shin Ultraman was great and you can't change my mind)

I was so blown away by it when I heard it in the theater. I’ve been pumping it every now and then on YouTube because it’s just that good (hope it comes to Spotify soon so I can add it to the necessary playlists!).
Good to know I'm not the only one who listens to it a bit whenever.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I heard An Out of Body State before seeing the film and thought "eh"
Then it kicked in during the film in the theater and I literally entered an out of body state lol
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I’ve seen some sites post that the Shin Ultraman Blu-Ray/Digital releases will be in June.

Resized Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:50 am I’ve seen some sites post that the Shin Ultraman Blu-Ray/Digital releases will be in June.
I heard about that too. I’m a little bummed, but I guess better late than never.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Unfortunately it seems that the Blu Ray release date is in July, not June.

One more month.

Added in 1 minute 56 seconds:
Also, I don’t know why it took me this long, but only just today did I notice that Gomess’ tail has a mouth full of human teeth at the end.

Almost reminds me of Siren Head.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

God, I love this movie. Higuchi's style complements Anno's beautifully. There's such a warm, human core to this that shines brighter than in the two other Shin films (which I also like!).

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:49 pm God, I love this movie. Higuchi's style complements Anno's beautifully. There's such a warm, human core to this that shines brighter than in the two other Shin films (which I also like!).
I agree completely. There's an optimism to the movie that immediately resonated with me. They captured the essence of Ultraman so perfectly. And, purely from a heroic standpoint, they delivered something that I feel has been sorely lacking in Western superhero films over the last few years: hope. There's no cynical deconstruction of the superhero genre. It's my favorite Shin movie.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.