Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by JAGzilla »

^ BF20KF wouldn't exist, either, if nuclear weapons didn't exist. I dunno how much better that world would be, really. WWIII would have happened a long time ago, and war between major powers would still just be a practical thing that could happen. We wouldn't have been forced to tolerate each other's existence and let our cultures and economies start to become interdependent like they are today.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Coming back to this thread,

I think there should be some broader outreach to fandoms in other parts of the world that might not have as much reach to this side of the world/sphere of language. This is good for several reasons. More friends, the merrier! Just as important, it would help archiving information such as dubs, press materials, distribution etc. For all we know the International Dub of King Kong vs Godzilla or Godzilla 2000 might not be so rare/obscure in Malaysia or Singapore, or there really IS a Tokyo/Hong Kong based dub of Astro Monster somewhere in a vault in Iran, or Lebanon, or even France or Germany.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I haven't seen the anime trilogy films at all since watching them on release date. For context, I've seen KOTM+Godzilla vs. Kong+Godzilla SP multiple times through. I want to sit down one day and watch all three back to back, but I don't know how painful it'll be. I'm worried I may absolutely hate them, or actually love them. Right now they're sort of this weird thing that I don't absolutely hate- like most people on here- but they're definitely maybe my least favorite Godzilla films. My feelings on them are really difficult.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I mean I haven’t given them a rewatch, either, but I’m also not much of a heavy rewatcher. Even when I’m in the mood, I don’t really want to, even if I sort of liked Planet Eater. I’m just indifferent on much of the trilogy, even if the ideas are cool
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Haven't even watched them. The whole idea of the trilogy just doesn't interest me much.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to watch EVERYTHING or even watch something more than once. I feel like many fans feel this need to either like everything or at the very least watch something many times to be well versed in it, even if they don't like it. I don't see the point. These films are godawful. If I never watched these ever again my life wouldn't change one bit.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:19 pm Being a fan doesn't mean you have to watch EVERYTHING or even watch something more than once. I feel like many fans feel this need to either like everything or at the very least watch something many times to be well versed in it, even if they don't like it. I don't see the point. These films are godawful. If I never watched these ever again my life wouldn't change one bit.
I mean, I've seen all the Toho-Produced and Released "Mainline" Godzilla films many times, some many more than others. That doesn't mean I was forced to or that it was obligatory, rather using it to show that I'll happily watch any of the other films because I GENUINELY ENJOY THEM, rather than watch the anime trilogy.

My point was I think it speaks volumes how little I've seen them. I'd make the argument that the Anime Trilogy is the EASIEST group of films to just skip over in the entire franchise. There's no new monsters (Servum do not count), it was followed by a much more superior anime (even if you don't like SP its better than the anime trilogy), and it came out in a time where there are clearly better offerings for both newer and older fans (Shin, G14, Godzilla vs. Kong...). Completely eraseable from the franchise honestly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The anime trilogy are the only Godzilla movies I don't care about rewatching. I've seen them once apiece, and that was all I needed. I probably will watch them again someday just to give them a fair reassessment and refamiliarize myself with them, but I'm in no hurry. And I didn't even hate them, I was just disappointed.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I maintain that City on the Edge of Battle (fuck that stupid title by the way) is not just the worst Godzilla movie but one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I checked how much time was left at least five times during the second half. If most other movies had bored me that much, I just would've turned them off. Planet Eater was marginally more watchable but the whole trilogy leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't plan to rewatch it anytime in the foreseeable future, despite having recently watched all of the other Godzilla movies in order.

My confession is that I haven't watched Godziban, I know very little about it, and I intend to keep it that way. Every piece of info that I do hear makes me want to watch it less. As LSDJellyfish pointed out above, there's a lot of Godzilla media getting put out these past few years so we're free to pick and choose what we feel like consuming.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen Goziban either. I might look at it to see if it's worth my time. I try to see anything Godzilla to see if I will like it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I watched an episode or two of Godziban a while back to see what it was. It's cute, but it's hard to get into when (to my knowledge) it's only available in raw Japanese. I do intend to watch more of it at some point, though.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:57 am I watched an episode or two of Godziban a while back to see what it was. It's cute, but it's hard to get into when (to my knowledge) it's only available in raw Japanese. I do intend to watch more of it at some point, though.
There are some subtitles available on the YouTube uploads now. I watched some a few weeks ago and they had the option.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:57 am I watched an episode or two of Godziban a while back to see what it was. It's cute, but it's hard to get into when (to my knowledge) it's only available in raw Japanese. I do intend to watch more of it at some point, though.
I mean, it has skreeonking BAGAN in it. 'Nuff said.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:16 am
There are some subtitles available on the YouTube uploads now. I watched some a few weeks ago and they had the option.
Can confirm the YouTube videos have subs. Just gotta click the closed captions button.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I confess laat night I had a dream that some company resurrected the Trendmaster Gamera sculpts into large 10 inch toys. Wtf.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The Polygon trilogy has aged well imo, now that we have SP. It had an uphill battle following Shin, and being the first proper Godzilla anime. But following SP and all the other content we've gotten since I definitely feel less scorn towards it.
That being said, it's still pretty padded and dull until Planet Eater. And I agree that CotEoB (not typing all that) is probably the actual bottom of the Godzilla barrel. But Planet Eater really sticks the landing. City would have benefitted from a fight with an actual Mechagodzilla. One of the biggest sins of that series is making such an interesting and off the wall Mechagodzilla design and NOT USING IT.
Confession? I actually like the Polygon Mechagodzilla better than the Monsterverse one.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....is the Polygon trilogy really old enough to have "aged" at all? Feels like it's way too soon to make a statement like that.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:44 pm The Polygon trilogy has aged well imo, now that we have SP. It had an uphill battle following Shin, and being the first proper Godzilla anime. But following SP and all the other content we've gotten since I definitely feel less scorn towards it.
That being said, it's still pretty padded and dull until Planet Eater. And I agree that CotEoB (not typing all that) is probably the actual bottom of the Godzilla barrel. But Planet Eater really sticks the landing. City would have benefitted from a fight with an actual Mechagodzilla. One of the biggest sins of that series is making such an interesting and off the wall Mechagodzilla design and NOT USING IT.
Confession? I actually like the Polygon Mechagodzilla better than the Monsterverse one.
*Reads this, especially the last sentence and violently tosses around everything in my room. Nearly putting a hole in my wall.*

I....a-agree to disagree and respect your opinion.

*Goes to scream at the heavens*

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:44 pm The Polygon trilogy has aged well
The Polygon trilogy has aged like a gallon of milk dropped from a third-story balcony onto a sidewalk in the middle of a sunny 104º summer day in Los Angeles.
City would have benefitted from a fight with an actual Mechagodzilla. One of the biggest sins of that series is making such an interesting and off the wall Mechagodzilla design and NOT USING IT.
I agree on this. I was actually excited for COTEOB (fuck that acronym) because I wanted to see the new MG in action, which only amplified my resulting hatred for that horrible excuse for a movie. But I do think the MG design was pretty awesome, better than bland Bayformers-wannabe MV MG.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Gonna hard disagree on that Mechagodzilla thing, HedorahIsBestGirl (it’s true, Hedorah really is best girl). Polygon’s MG looked like someone dropped a stack of razors onto a vaguely saurian mass. It’s so damn BUSY compared to MV’s, which itself borders on a busy design, but not nearly to the extent of Bayformers. If anything, Polygon’s is a Bayformer wannabe in my eyes. That said, if that’s your thing, far be it from me to tell you otherwise. Besides the busy aspect it’s not necessarily a bad design, just one that we don’t see in action in the actual movie.

Also, although I think the trilogy ages poorly, Planet Eater was definitely my fav of the three, so I think I see where Major Spielberg is coming from.

Resized Image