Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by miguelnuva »

Rolvetech also did a Baragon.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And if stylized figures count (why wouldn't they?) Pony and Marmit (in the Para Baby series) also did 6" Baragons. And to get technical, the original Bandai Baragon was much closer to 6" than 8".

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:30 pm And if stylized figures count (why wouldn't they?)
Because there's a difference in wanting a 6" Baragon figure for a collection of realistic depictions of the monsters and wanting a 6" Baragon in different colorways with more of a toyetic stylization?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Shenanigans did not specify either way. Unless "proper" means "realistic Bandai style".

Regardless, Yamakatsu did it first.

Also going to guarantee this toy is at least as tall as the original Bandai Baragon, making the whole point moot anyway.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I think this is probably the best sculpt Playmates has done so far. That being said, its still got that Playmates dopeyness. But this is the first figure they have done where, if I didn't already have the Bandai figure, I would probably buy it.

The Yamakatsu figure, while I personally prefer it for its historical value, isn't super accurate and was released decades ago so isn't super accessible to most people
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Curious to see which will have the better/worse paint between PM and Bandai. At least Playmates actually colored the ridges different.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:41 pm Curious to see which will have the better/worse paint between PM and Bandai. At least Playmates actually colored the ridges different.
Until it gets about 2/3rds up the tail. Then it's just one big ouch. Granted Bandai usually stops the paint sprays at a certain point too. But it's a lot harder on the eyes here since they used a mask for the paint job.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I just want these guys to show up in Canada. No Jet Jaguar, Rodan, or Gorosaurus has made its way up here :(
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 pm I just want these guys to show up in Canada. No Jet Jaguar, Rodan, or Gorosaurus has made its way up here :(
Amazon still has Rodan for a good price.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I need Baragon right now. Give him to me.

Going to be really fun if Bandai gives us a crawling version and Playmates the standing version. I think the speculation Bandai will just do something close to the existing 8" is probably more correct, but I like the thought of PM and Bandai giving us distinct poses.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 pm I just want these guys to show up in Canada. No Jet Jaguar, Rodan, or Gorosaurus has made its way up here :(
Playmates has trouble getting these around even in the States, to my frustration - or maybe that's Target's fault.
Either way, Baragon ain't the caliber of a Bandai, but it's not too shabby. Here's to hoping one actually shows up in my area, or maybe more websites will start stocking them at least.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Too damn cold for vinyl/plastic.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

According to Kaiju News Outlet, Baragon "will be released at Target and online retailers later this month."
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Hoping a Varan and Manda are on the way
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 pm
Too damn cold for vinyl/plastic.
I know you meant this aa a joke but my pipes froze last week so you might be on to something
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:02 pm Hoping a Varan and Manda are on the way
Big respect to them if they go for Varan and/or Manda
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Baragon68
Ronin

Post by Baragon68 »

Has anyone seen the new Baragon figure yet, isn't it supposed be out by the end of this month?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Baragon68 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 am Has anyone seen the new Baragon figure yet, isn't it supposed be out by the end of this month?
Playmates and concrete release dates don't mix. They show up when they show up, really.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:15 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:02 pm Hoping a Varan and Manda are on the way
Big respect to them if they go for Varan and/or Manda
Two of my favorite monsters along with Baragon, I'd be thrilled if they did those.
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:17 pm
Baragon68 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 am Has anyone seen the new Baragon figure yet, isn't it supposed be out by the end of this month?
Playmates and concrete release dates don't mix. They show up when they show up, really.
On that note, do we know what's going on with any of their other new figures? Like the MonsterVerse Ghidorah, the Singular Point Godzilla, or their new Shin Godzilla for example. Are any of those out yet?
Last edited by ElijahSky on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuMan80
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuMan80 »

So question I live on the west coast but have never seen gorosaurus or the new monsterverse Ghidorah. Any word on these? And where can I go to get up to date news on this line? Thanks!