Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

Post by Angilasman »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm Without spoiling things, what is the minimum age you’d say this film is appropriate for? I’d love to watch it fresh with my kids but they aren’t ready for anything beyond a family friendly PG rating yet.
There's nothing really objectionable here (besides two skirting-the-line things: a potentially lewd bit that'd go over kid's heads and an implied curse word bleeped as a gag - spoilers if you want details) but the plot is rather dense, so kids might have trouble keeping up - but knowing that Ultraman and the SSSP are good and the monsters and aliens are bad is probably enough. Not overly violent at all.
Spoiler:
Like in the original series with Fuji, Mefilis turns Asami, a female member of the SSSP, giant. After restoring her to normal size she is horrified to see herself become a social media phenomenon, with potentionally lewd implications: emphasis on her legs and we see a screen of posts with hearts and kisses added over her picture. Mefilas is still putting on an act of friendship with humans, so he apologizes personally and wipes her pictures from the internet. This is a very brief scene.

There's one gag involving cursing where the sweet, nerdy member of the SSSP becomes so angry she says an obscenity and is bleeped; in Japanese, in the dub, and even in the subtitles! So it's a joke about cursing. It's a bit more explicit in the dub; 'rip off their head and **** down their neck!' If you want to avoid this, it occurs right when power in the SSSP's office goes down, right before Zarab shows up.
Last edited by Angilasman on Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

One persons opinion is as good as another. But I took my son who is almost 17. But another friend took his 3 sons ages 13, 11, and 9. All really enjoyed it, even subtitled.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm Without spoiling things, what is the minimum age you’d say this film is appropriate for? I’d love to watch it fresh with my kids but they aren’t ready for anything beyond a family friendly PG rating yet.
I'd say it's around a PG13. Violence is on par with modern Ultraman shows, there's a bleeped-out curse word at one point, and while there's a bit of innuendo near the midpoint of the movie, it's so minor that your kids will either interpret it as something else or not even notice it at all.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I might need to at least skim through the film a bit if not watch it entirely before watching it with my kids. It’s probably fine but everyone has varying degrees of what’s suitable for children and it’s best to be sure.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Listing for the US Blu-ray: June 13.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WTK/status/1 ... 3011335173

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

On preorder at Amazon.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The best online video store, Diabolik DVD, has the Shin Ultraman blu-ray up for pre-order.

https://diabolikdvd.com/product/shin-ul ... -preorder/

Always comes in sturdy packaging, and when they get the title in their warehouse they ship pre-orders right away, so you often get stuff before release date.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Apparently, Alamo Drafthouse is going to bring Shin Ultraman back to select theaters later this month. If you've got one near you (I don't), check!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Angilasman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:30 am Apparently, Alamo Drafthouse is going to bring Shin Ultraman back to select theaters later this month. If you've got one near you (I don't), check!
Geez, they couldn’t have picked a worse day. It’s the same night that Shin Kamen Rider plays in the US. Guess you need to pick one if you haven’t seen either.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I say fuck it. It doesn’t matter what age your kids are. Watch this movie with them.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Diabolik is shipping Shin Ultraman Blu-ray pre-orders!

- edit -

Bummer guys; early reviews show that Cleopatra Ent messed up the subs. No subtitles for on-screen text and various errors throughout. Time to fire up your (politely worded) complaint emails and posts.
Last edited by Angilasman on Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Amazon is showing the blu-ray and dvd pushed back to July 11th.

Has something changed?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Some folks are getting it early (mines already shipped from Diabolik)

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Yup, Cleopatra Entertainment screwed up the subtitles here.

It seems they had the hearing impaired track and were only partway through editing before it was slapped on the disc. All onscreen text translation was left off (which is totally necessary for the plot) but notations for sound effects are left it ([Zetton beeps]) as well as other artifacts from it being an SDH track, like notating who's talking when the character's lips aren't visible. Formating notations for italicization (<i>) are left it.

This is obviously a mistake. Maybe they accidentally selected a copy of the track from very early in the editing process? Anyway, I can't recommend buying this until it's corrected.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Good to know. Thanks. Yeah, I won't waste money on it until they put out a corrected version.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

... and if Cleopatra Entertainment doesn't fix their screw-up, well, there's an upcoming Canadian release from a nifty boutique label called Raven Banner.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If Raven Banner's version pans out, I'll go for that. Otherwise, it'll be Bootleg Town for me on this one.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks for telling me this. I'll wait, too, and see what happens. Meanwhile, please keep us all posted.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

According to a Twitter poster (providing screenshots) the on demand version has the proper subs.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

So was the release date pushed back or are we all getting DVDs with screwed up subs?