Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

Post by canofhumdingers »

What does the 450 mean?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Its the two scales that Marusan uses for their standard figures. 350 is smaller, 20cm roughly. 450 is slightly larger, Id say around 30cm. I think the name comes from the yen price that oldschool Marusan figures sold for back in the 60s.

He mentions it somewhere in this video. I need to rewatch it
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

You are correct. The 350 and 450 scales refer to the original yen prices for Marusan vinyls in the 60s. The standard 9 inch figures were 350 yen and the new modern Marusan figures that are produced in that same scale are referred to as "350" as a result. 450 is slightly larger (not sure how much- I want to say 12 inches?) and reflects the more expensive yen price for a bigger figure back in the day.

450 vinyls are generally made for larger-sized characters that scale with the 350 releases, and for "oversized" versions of standard figures (I think in order to capture the feeling of how large the 350 scale was to people who had them as children).

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

That’s cool. And totally not what I expected! I was thinking it was maybe how tall they were in millimeters or something. Being a throwback to the original price scheme is a neat little nod to history.

Also, can you imagine buying these things for ¥350-¥450 now?! What a steal, lol!!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Speaking of Angurius, this is beautiful!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Oh wow, thats pretty neat. I personally would have liked to see the spikes and maybe the teeth painted a different color but overall thats a really cool looking figure.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:58 am Oh wow, thats pretty neat. I personally would have liked to see the spikes and maybe the teeth painted a different color but overall thats a really cool looking figure.
Could be nice if it was like gold spikes on the spines, I could see that working well.

I think sparkling figures are a mixed bag, I keep thinking about getting those Christmas Hedorahs but vote against it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MoK 13
GPN Volunteer

Post by MoK 13 »

That is some DEEP metal flake, awesome!
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Pictures going around of the new 450 gigan. Its absolutely huge!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:13 am Pictures going around of the new 450 gigan. Its absolutely huge!
450 doesn’t mess around. You’ve gotta make sure you have the space (and the money) when collecting them!
Last edited by Creature22 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Idk if I still want to go for this Gigan. Its super cool but part of me would still rather get that 50th anniversary figure. And I really only want one of each kaiju, except for Godzilla obviously, Biollante (who I now have 3 of, 2 Mondo and 1 Marusan 450) and Hedorah, who I am only making an exception for the Phantom version cause its really neat. Aside from that, one figure per kaiju.

Oh, and here is the picture I mentioned. Correct me if I am wrong, but this DEFINITELY seems bigger than the other 450 figures Ive seen
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I may be in the minority, but I will take Marusan’s Yog trio (Gezora / Ganimes / Kamoebas) figures over any other line’s Yog figures (even Xplus’s Space Amoeba figures, and I’m a huge Xplus fan). I have all 3 of them…definitely my favorite Marusan figures in my collection.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 am I may be in the minority, but I will take Marusan’s Yog trio (Gezora / Ganimes / Kamoebas) figures over any other line’s Yog figures (even Xplus’s Space Amoeba figures, and I’m a huge Xplus fan). I have all 3 of them…definitely my favorite Marusan figures in my collection.
I just wish we got more figures of the trio in general. Only reps I have in my whole collection are the Iwakura Bullmark releases.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Mkyuncle
Samurai

Post by Mkyuncle »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 am I just wish we got more figures of the trio in general. Only reps I have in my whole collection are the Iwakura Bullmark releases.
kaijubattle site showed Marusan Toho Kaiju 350 pink Marble Version Gezora 23cm scale with either red or black eyes. It's also GID.

I was able to pick up the red eye Gezora from Yahoo auction japan using Buyee. It's my first Gezora.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I have the standard color schemes for Kamoebas & Gezora (I posted the photos in this same thread a few years back….I don’t post photos anymore due to the photobucket-charging fees for hosting nonsense).

But for the Marusan Ganimes, it took me a few years to hunt down (I actually found him a few times, but they were on shopping jaunts in Tokyo for other higher priority figure purchases). When I eventually made the purchase, it was this very cool black & gold version pictured below:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Mkyuncle
Samurai

Post by Mkyuncle »

The Godzilla Store just listed a bunch of Marusan figures. I couldn't resist the Gezora 350 Sparkle Ver.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Lovin' the 73 Godzilla, but I can't justify the price for that. Sucks but hey, maybe I'll get lucky at G-FEST this year.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I find modern Marusan to be quite a mixed bag. Some of their sculpts (Mothra Imago, Rodan ‘56, Gigan) but then others (most of the Godzillas) I find very weak.

For example the ‘73 above makes me long for the heyday of Marmit’s Monster Heaven line where you could get this:

But I must admit the translucent orange Godzilla 95 looks pretty sweet.

As does the glow Gigan

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Man I would kill for that gigan.
I'm biased as hell but Marusan for me just is absolute perfection. I don't really dislike any of their sculpts, though I'll admit some look goofy from the front.