IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In regards to Protectors, yeah I was surprised
Spoiler:
by Diagoro and Maguma, but if you squint you can also see Gamera on the side of the dresser. There’s a doodle of him that’s really small, and probably intentionally vague, but I’m sure it’s him lol.
I don't have much to add to what you're saying. Monsters and Protectors has a very consistent problem of having a lot happen (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah in issue 3 was a lot of fun) before coming to a screeching halt. There's no real reason that King Ceaser couldn't have appeared a little earlier in the issue, or just something to provide a little more action (maybe Godzilla shows up 3/4ths through the comic and a rematch begins. Instead I fear the next issue will be super rushed, having to deal with Godzilla's rematch with Ghidorah, King Ceaser joining in, and then probably a fight between King Ceaser and Godzilla that is stopped by Cedric and Karen.

Like you said, I doubt that this will really resolve the Xillien plotline too. AFAIK, maybe I'm forgetting something, but are the characters even aware of the Xillien's existence at this point?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

One thing I just noticed now in regards of Godzilla Rivals: Rodan vs Ebirah:

At the end of the comic, there is a photo of the cover of Rivals: Biollante Vs. Destoroyah with "Next Issue" listed below it....isn't Rivals: Mothra vs Titanosaurus supposed to be the next issue? :?: :shrug: :Destoroyah: :Mothra61:

This could mean they're swapping publishing dates (ala the Rivals: vs Gigan debacle which caused it to be skipped over for Rivals: vs Battra). I haven't seen any news regarding delays yet nor any solicitations yet for Biollante Vs. Destoroyah.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Yeah I don't know why Biollante vs. Destoroyah is listed as the next issue; it was previously announced for May but hasn't been solicited yet so it might be even later than that while Mothra vs. Titanosaurus is, at least for now, still set for March. I am still hopeful that last year's excessive delays are behind us.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:27 pm Like you said, I doubt that this will really resolve the Xillien plotline too. AFAIK, maybe I'm forgetting something, but are the characters even aware of the Xillien's existence at this point?
Nope. I don't even think the Shobijin mentioned them yet either, at least not directly. The odds of the Xiliens either launching their promised full-scale invasion in an issue that already has so much going on or deciding to abandon their quest for Earth are slim-to-none.

On the subject of the Xiliens, I forgot to mention I am eager to find out what "mechanoids" are. Some sort of robots perhaps?

Of note - I looked at Dan Schoening's Twitter and he recently described finishing the "current arc" of Monsters & Protectors. While we might not have confirmation for some time (though next month's issue will surely give us a hint), I'd say the odds of this series continuing are quite good. I'm sure that's dismaying news for some. While I've enjoyed it well enough, I do hope a third series can up the ante a bit; one thing that would help immeasurably is having the kids more involved in an adventure. I can appreciate the smaller scale and stakes, but maybe series three can take my previous suggestion and have the Xiliens kidnap the kids and follow them trying to escape an Xilien base or something. We could also use more monster action.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:28 pm On the subject of the Xiliens, I forgot to mention I am eager to find out what "mechanoids" are. Some sort of robots perhaps?]
I noticed that phrasing too. It wasn't "ready the fleet", but something intentionally vague. I assumed it would be a new monster/antagonist, which I think could add a lot of spice to the series.

The Xilliens, surprisingly, don't have an associations with any monsters other than King Ghidorah. It's not like the Nebulans and Gigan or the Black Hole Hunters and MG. I wouldn't really consider MG a a "mechoid", and same goes for Gigan.
Of note - I looked at Dan Schoening's Twitter and he recently described finishing the "current arc" of Monsters & Protectors. While we might not have confirmation for some time (though next month's issue will surely give us a hint), I'd say the odds of this series continuing are quite good. I'm sure that's dismaying news for some. While I've enjoyed it well enough, I do hope a third series can up the ante a bit; one thing that would help immeasurably is having the kids more involved in an adventure. I can appreciate the smaller scale and stakes, but maybe series three can take my previous suggestion and have the Xiliens kidnap the kids and follow them trying to escape an Xilien base or something. We could also use more monster action.
Depending on how the next issue goes, I'll see if I'm excited for the "third arc" of this story. I'm enjoying it, and I'm not the primary audience, but I do wonder who is reading it other than you and I. I know this series is very devisive on online communities. I do also wonder if anything will come of Gabara. It's strange that Dream Ghidorah came back (in a nightmare I liked) but I wonder if they'll do anything more with the dreams.

I'm also starting to wonder why this is a mini-series and not just an ongoing at this point. It seems like IDW's approach now is to have this and Rivals, serve as their ongoing series. I am starting to get antsy and want to see some more announcements for the future of IDW stuff.

I said this in another unrelated thread, but I'm starting to think this series is more of a test-run for a Godzilla TV animated show aimed at elementary and middle schoolers. Some of it feels like it's flexible enough that they can insert more monsters and action, and a lot of it feels like concept art (what would Kumonga look like).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:28 pm Yeah I don't know why Biollante vs. Destoroyah is listed as the next issue; it was previously announced for May but hasn't been solicited yet so it might be even later than that while Mothra vs. Titanosaurus is, at least for now, still set for March. I am still hopeful that last year's excessive delays are behind us.
Hopefully this doesn't mean Mothra vs Titanosaurus is getting delayed and released after Biollante vs Destoroyah, thus getting a 4 month plus gap between issues.

Overall, this "Rivals: vs" series has been one of the my favorite things IDW has done with Godzilla (right up there with Half Century War and Rage Across Time), so I sincerely hope it does not end with "Round 2".
Of note - I looked at Dan Schoening's Twitter and he recently described finishing the "current arc" of Monsters & Protectors. While we might not have confirmation for some time (though next month's issue will surely give us a hint), I'd say the odds of this series continuing are quite good.
I know people say "it's aimed towards younger readers"....which I'm perfectly fine with. My problem is that it's just not good. However, I do appreciate finally seeing Gabara in a comic...it's about damn time :terrestris:

Instead, I'd rather see Mowry/Frank continue with ROE issue #26-31 (or however long) to complete their planned Minilla/King Ghidorah arc. That series' overall tone felt geared towards a younger audience anyways, and was much more fun/entertaining.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:51 pm I said this in another unrelated thread, but I'm starting to think this series is more of a test-run for a Godzilla TV animated show aimed at elementary and middle schoolers. Some of it feels like it's flexible enough that they can insert more monsters and action, and a lot of it feels like concept art (what would Kumonga look like).
Although this comic isn't my cup of tea, a Monsters & Protectors anime might be fun....it definitely couldn't be any worse than any of the TOHO G anime we've been "treated to" thus far :facepalm: X_X
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I have a feeling Rivals is going to keep going for a while. "Round 1" certainly had a lot of problems, but it really feels like they got a grip on things now between an improved release schedule (if they can stick to it!) and dropping the "Godzilla vs." from each issue to let other kaiju shine. TBH it was actually pretty refreshing to have Godzilla take the back seat in Rodan vs. Ebirah (on which I'll share my thoughts tomorrow!)
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:51 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:28 pm On the subject of the Xiliens, I forgot to mention I am eager to find out what "mechanoids" are. Some sort of robots perhaps?]
I noticed that phrasing too. It wasn't "ready the fleet", but something intentionally vague. I assumed it would be a new monster/antagonist, which I think could add a lot of spice to the series.

The Xilliens, surprisingly, don't have an associations with any monsters other than King Ghidorah. It's not like the Nebulans and Gigan or the Black Hole Hunters and MG. I wouldn't really consider MG a a "mechoid", and same goes for Gigan.
My first thought was Mechagodzilla or Mysterians Moguera (still gunning for a proper appearance for him in these books), but in the context of the dialogue I'm thinking they might be little robots or something meant to climb onto Ghidorah to fix the mind control devices? No idea though. Original mechs could be cool.
Depending on how the next issue goes, I'll see if I'm excited for the "third arc" of this story. I'm enjoying it, and I'm not the primary audience, but I do wonder who is reading it other than you and I. I know this series is very devisive on online communities. I do also wonder if anything will come of Gabara. It's strange that Dream Ghidorah came back (in a nightmare I liked) but I wonder if they'll do anything more with the dreams.
I have seen a couple other comments online about it, so it has its fans beyond kids and us! ;)

I'll be honest, I nearly forgot about Gabara. Yeah, his presence in the first couple issues was... odd. A great Easter Egg for fans of the franchise, but I do wonder what folks who aren't familiar with him were thinking. In the context of the story, his unexplained presence and quick disappearance is kind of out-of-place.
I'm also starting to wonder why this is a mini-series and not just an ongoing at this point. It seems like IDW's approach now is to have this and Rivals, serve as their ongoing series. I am starting to get antsy and want to see some more announcements for the future of IDW stuff.

I said this in another unrelated thread, but I'm starting to think this series is more of a test-run for a Godzilla TV animated show aimed at elementary and middle schoolers. Some of it feels like it's flexible enough that they can insert more monsters and action, and a lot of it feels like concept art (what would Kumonga look like).
I feel like All Hail the King being greenlit was entirely dependent upon sales and could have very well ended on that Xilien reveal cliffhanger. As for why they don't go the ongoing route now, I don't know, but I don't mind too much. In theory being able to plot out story arcs ahead of time by having extended breaks in-between could be preferable for the creative teams while also allowing for better art and writing; I'm sure the ROE team would've killed for that approach. ;) I don't know if I can say this series has necessarily benefitted from that, but hopefully they can confirm if its getting a sequel sooner than later.

I feel you on future IDW announcements. Beyond Biollante vs. Destoroyah, we don't have any idea what else is coming out the later half of the year. Whatever is to follow All Hail the King, I do hope they announce it within the next couple months, as I look forward to these comics each month. :) Kinda sucks when we go months without anything.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I hope they use more obscure. Maguma vs. Ganimes or something.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Realized I never shared my thoughts on Rivals: Rodan vs. Ebirah! In short, I loved it, easily one of the best of this series. Opting to have Godzilla sit this one out was wise, and this issue was just a blast start to finish.

The issue as a whole was non-stop action focusing on two fairly overlooked kaiju (well, more so one than the other, of course, but even Rodan gets the short end of the stick when compared to the other Big 5) with an incredibly unique setting the likes of which we will never see again in a Godzilla story - what's not to love? I like how no time was wasted in having all hell break loose - we only spend a few pages establishing the characters and setting, after which things never slow down again for even a moment. The only slight problem was that there was just a bit too much going on at times, like Biollante's presence, which felt forgotten at several points (unless I missed it they didn't even mention she escaped to begin with until she was already wreaking havoc).

They really took advantage of that setting, too, more than I thought - while it could've been cool to see more of the actual fight, we see more than enough to satisfy me, and focusing on the elevator itself was the right choice. The covers made me think most of the fight would take place back on the surface, but I'm actually glad it didn't. The art was wonderful, too. Always a big fan of expressive kaiju, and seeing some of Rodan’s expressions like his pain when his wings were shredded, and the insane berserker Kiryu (though Ebirah isn’t a very “expressive” kaiju, haha). Good sense of motion to the action too, which can be a challenge for some artists.

Also, a very minor thing, but even as a cis man, I was happy to see a nonbinary protagonist in a Godzilla story. Gotta be a first for the franchise, right? Pretty rad if you ask me.

The world-building in this issue was fantastic like LSD said, to me harkening back to the earlier days of IDW’s comics where these worlds felt truly populated by their monsters. I know I brought it up here before, but the majority of IDW’s more recent comics, including past entries of this series, have taken a more restrained approach to the world-building with most opting to treat the kaiju as these almost mythical and rarely-seen beings. It’s a cool take for sure, but I much prefer a world like this that goes ham and presents to us a world where a kaiju battle can be a part of everyday life instead of a once-in-a-lifetime event (not to mention how studying the kaiju could yield great benefits for mankind). This comic proved that sometimes it isn’t even just about the number of cameos you have, either, as there weren’t too many relatively speaking, but the presence of more is felt through the Easter Eggs and references. Kiryu’s appearance highlights the fun this issue had – despite only having a few pages, they hinted at Kiryu having control issues similar to his film, here looking half-crazed with hints that they may lose control over him as if Godzilla’s spirit can take over. Plus Godzilla being woken up by his activation suggests he has a similar story to his movie, but it still felt unique enough.

Didn’t care much for the ending though. I’m all for open-ended or even just unresolved conclusions – Legends #3 remains one of my favorites – but it didn’t work here because it felt more “unfinished” than open-ended. Cliffhangers are all well and good but this one was just weird.
Spoiler:
I don't get what they were trying to reveal with the doctor's eyes either. Just trying to hint she was an alien? But then... why? What purpose does that serve? If that were the case, they should have also revealed she was secretly trying to mind-control the captive kaiju or something. I don't know, it's just weird and leaves you more confused than anything. Though I will say I was pleased to see Baby Godzilla (further confirmation that IDW appears to have free reign over Toho’s lot, as they did not have his rights years ago). As LSD said, its about damn time a child of Godzilla shows up (in a story that doesn't even really feature Godzilla himself, no less), though I wish it was more than one panel!
Lovely issue. I want to see more like this; as much as I love the issues that have more substance than pure action, this is the right way to handle the latter. And for a oneshot comic, I can't ask for much more.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:22 pm I hope they use more obscure. Maguma vs. Ganimes or something.
Shockirus vs the Giant Condor….IDW, make it happen! :mechanikong:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Haven't read any of Rivals yet since I buy the trade paperbacks, but I have more than a handful of dream issues.

Gorosaurus vs. King Ghidorah (or DesGhidorah) in Prehistoric times.
Manda vs. Megalon (Seatopia vs. Mu Ancient War)
SpaceGodzilla vs. Destoroyah
Rodan vs. Megaguirus
Battra vs. Hedorah
MechaGodzilla vs. Moguera
Godzilla vs. Sanda/Gaira (Adapt the canceled 1970s film)
Gigan vs. Orga (Nebulans vs. Millennians galactic war)

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:12 am Full cover for the trade of Rivals: Volume 1 has been revealed... and it has Gigan on it despite him not being in the first batch.

Can't help but find that amusing. Artist EJ Su said he did it over a year ago, which is why Gigan is there; Matt Frank's Japanese cover, which was presumably done much more recently, actually has the right monsters on it. A little surprised they evidently never tried to fix this one.
Looks like they actually managed to fix this after all, though Battra was largely covered up by text anyways. Still, props to Mr. Su for being able to redraw this on time, I know they usually can't fix covers like this since they're done so far in advance (as ROE can attest to).

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:53 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:12 am Full cover for the trade of Rivals: Volume 1 has been revealed... and it has Gigan on it despite him not being in the first batch.

Can't help but find that amusing. Artist EJ Su said he did it over a year ago, which is why Gigan is there; Matt Frank's Japanese cover, which was presumably done much more recently, actually has the right monsters on it. A little surprised they evidently never tried to fix this one.
Looks like they actually managed to fix this after all, though Battra was largely covered up by text anyways. Still, props to Mr. Su for being able to redraw this on time, I know they usually can't fix covers like this since they're done so far in advance (as ROE can attest to).

I used to work at that comic shop you got that scan from! There were a surprising number of other G-Fans there besides myself.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm Haven't read any of Rivals yet since I buy the trade paperbacks, but I have more than a handful of dream issues.

I’d recommend picking up individual issues every now and then to insure this series continues. A lot of these series die because people don’t buy them and just wait for the trades (not singling you out, as I’ve done this before myself). :gordon:
Gorosaurus vs. King Ghidorah (or DesGhidorah) in Prehistoric times.

I don’t care who they pit him against….these comics need more Gorosaurus :keizer:

Manda vs. Megalon (Seatopia vs. Mu Ancient War)
Agreed…a no-brainer that would be an intriguing matchup and with loads of story possibilities. :antonio:

To be honest, I would have much rather seen Titanosaurus take on either Megalon or Manda instead of Mothra in the next Rivals issue. :Megalon:
MechaGodzilla vs. Moguera
Throw in Jet Jaguar as well against MG or Moguera….would love to see JJ kick Kiryu’s ass :mugal:
Gigan vs. Orga (Nebulans vs. Millennians galactic war)
Naah, too similar to their team up and subsequent clash in ROE… Orga vs Hedorah would be interesting though… :Hedorah:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Here's a Rivals issue match up no one would think of:

MINYA OR GODZILLA JR VS. MOTHRA LARVA!

I think it would have potential to be a funny light hearted issue. Imagine the Larva bitting Minya's tail and shooting his Atomic breath.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:42 pm Here's a Rivals issue match up no one would think of:

I think it would have potential to be a funny light hearted issue. Imagine the Larva bitting Minya's tail and shooting his Atomic breath.
Maybe not a full issue, but I can see a 4-6 page backup in the next Godzilla vs. Mothra issue. Maybe with art by Guirihuri!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:42 pm Here's a Rivals issue match up no one would think of:

I wouldn’t be against it. The inherent problem with this series is unfortunately it’s rival title. On one hand, we want these monsters to fight substantially, but at the same time this is one of the few chances to shift focus away from Godzilla, ala legends.

I wonder if they’ll do 3 monsters at once, or get more chaotic with their rosters.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Mmm Minya vs. Mothra Larvae sounds cute.
Or maybe it starts as a foot race!
Minya runs, Mothra starts swinging with her webbing. Minya: HEY!!! *spits smoke circle to blind Mothra and she crashes into trees.*

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Minilla vs Gabara: The Rematch

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

First look at Mothra vs. Titanosaurus interiors by Ferio Wind! Out in just over a month!

Titanosaurus encourages preorders!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Art looks...decent. It's clear and easy to tell what's going on, and I like the coloring. Lots of lines, which I'm personally a little iffy on, but I feel like it will make the "wind" from Titanosaurus and Mothra really shine. The style adds a lot of "animation" to the comic; it's easy to imagine the helicopter blades twirling around as the egg rises out of the water.

With Titanosaurus rampaging in the city, I realized it's been a LONG time since we've seen a monster go on a rampage in a city solo that wasn't Godzilla. Anyways looking forward to this. I buy digitally using an American Amazon account (on account of me no longer living in the US) but I do like Titanosaurus telling everyone to pre-order. Should be more fun jokes and edits like that!