WHO HATES... Showa...!? Whaaaat? (Ignoring '54)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What is your stance on original series (1955-1975) Godzilla films?

I consider these films flawless masterpieces.
5%
I love these films.
67%
I like these films.
16%
I am neutral on these films.
3%
I dislike these films.
2%
I strongly dislike these films.
1%
I literally hate these films.
2%
I have never seen these films.
2%

Total votes: 92

shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: WHO HATES... Showa...!? Whaaaat? (Ignoring '54)

Post by shadowgigan »

I love these films and they only get better with age. Watching Godzilla as an adult is different than it was as a child.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 am I love these films and they only get better with age. Watching Godzilla as an adult is different than it was as a child.
You mean because of how they let you transport yourself back into a time when you were generally happy without any serious concern in the world, compared to now when it feels like just existing is a war fought in the deepest bowels of hell itself? They're a little drop of light in the darkest void of adulthood. :lol:

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Or...OR...the older you get the more you start to see more in these movies that you were just incapable of understanding when you were younger. That played a big part in it for me at least. Additionally, the more I learn about these films as an adult the more interesting they become.

But of course I support your hyper cynical take as well. Because that's definitely a factor.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:02 am
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 am I love these films and they only get better with age. Watching Godzilla as an adult is different than it was as a child.
You mean because of how they let you transport yourself back into a time when you were generally happy without any serious concern in the world, compared to now when it feels like just existing is a war fought in the deepest bowels of hell itself? They're a little drop of light in the darkest void of adulthood. :lol:
Basically this. And there is just something genuine about the films that I struggle to describe.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:14 am Millennium as the best huh. Thats a rare one lol.
Ya, I guess I'm one of a kind.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That is dark, Mac Daddy, but does have some truth. They do bring back memories of seeing them on Super Scary Saturday or a Sunday afternoon. Now I'm lucky just to get a weekend off.

But I also go with Legion on this. I'm able to appreciate more of what these films have to offer.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:02 am
This brings me back to a moment I had at G-Fest a few years ago when discussing Destroy All Monsters -- it is one of my favorite films in the franchise, even as a 'younger fan' at least until recently, I guess, and I have my own reasons for it, but the other fellow seemed more interested in reminiscing about what it was like to watch it than about the film itself - discussing making popcorn, calling friends on the phone to say it was on, how 'back in those days' it was a big deal for it to air on TV and you couldn't pause, the legendary deleted scene that everyone under 25 has seen on youtube a billion times, etc. but once I asked him questions about the film, he seemed to just shrug and go "its just a movie", not for any lack of fondness for the film but it was clear his joy came more from a place of nostalgia than any analysis of what the film contains. Nothing wrong with that inherently but 'it's just a movie' wasn't an answer I was expecting after that kind of conversation.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

JVM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:53 pm "its just a movie"
damn, the urge to hit him back with a "cool story, bro" would have been too much.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Experience just adds to a film. I grew up seeing these movies on tv, but the first time I got to see one on a movie screen seemed much more satisfying.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

I agree. I wasn't trying to discount the experience side of enjoying a film. Just seemed a bit dismissive of the person to say "it's just a movie" in that situation.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

Most fans don't like the Showa era films for these common reasons, and it's sad because they were a product of their time, and they did not have the resources and massive budgets like most modern films these days. They had shoe string budgets like modern day Steven Seagal films, honestly, but that does not mean they are bad.

• Guy in a rubber suit
  • Bad dubbing
  • Cheesy and weak
  • Not threatening
  • Terrible actors and actresses
  • Production values
  • High turnover between films
  • Etc...

These films were just a product of their time, and we need to respect the effort they put into these films, but everyone has their own thoughts on this and in my 30 years in this franchise these are the common issues I see.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

What's this most fans talk? Most fans like the Showa movies, and its generally agreed that the Showa movies had overall better production values when compared to later films.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Amp87 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:27 am Most fans don't like the Showa era films for these common reasons, and it's sad because they were a product of their time, and they did not have the resources and massive budgets like most modern films these days. They had shoe string budgets like modern day Steven Seagal films, honestly, but that does not mean they are bad.
You've been spending too much time on Reddit. Most Godzilla fans love the Showa series. As to these "common issues":

• Guy in a rubber suit
- All of the Heisei and Millennium films also had "guys in rubber suits." Only the worst elements of the MonsterVerse kids crowd object to this. Most fans embrace it.
  • Bad dubbing
- I'm not huge on dubs in general but most of the Showa dubs are a lot better than the Heisei/Millennium dubs where the same four voice actors do every film.
  • Cheesy and weak
- Cheesy, sometimes, for sure. That's part of the charm. Again, most fans don't have an issue with this, only some edgelord newcomers. Weak? Not quite sure what you mean but if we're talking film quality, even the worst of Showa is a masterpiece compared to Space Godzilla.
  • Not threatening
- I guess? Didn't think anyone watched these movies to feel "threatened." They're about spectacle, not scares.
- The acting in the Showa series isn't always stellar but, on average, it's vastly better than in later Godzilla films. Most of the series' fan favorite actors (Takarada, Mizuno, Sahara, Tsuchiya, Hoshi, Adams, Kubo, etc.) appeared in the Showa films.
  • Production values
- The production values for these films were actually quite good and the practical effects work was often more impressive than Western films of the same era. It's during the Heisei series that these movies fell behind in terms of effects quality.
- Not sure what this means.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Why are people even dignifying this Reddit level nonsense?

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:39 am
Amp87 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:27 am Most fans don't like the Showa era films for these common reasons, and it's sad because they were a product of their time, and they did not have the resources and massive budgets like most modern films these days. They had shoe string budgets like modern day Steven Seagal films, honestly, but that does not mean they are bad.
You've been spending too much time on Reddit. Most Godzilla fans love the Showa series. As to these "common issues":

• Guy in a rubber suit
- All of the Heisei and Millennium films also had "guys in rubber suits." Only the worst elements of the MonsterVerse kids crowd object to this. Most fans embrace it.
  • Bad dubbing
- I'm not huge on dubs in general but most of the Showa dubs are a lot better than the Heisei/Millennium dubs where the same four voice actors do every film.
  • Cheesy and weak
- Cheesy, sometimes, for sure. That's part of the charm. Again, most fans don't have an issue with this, only some edgelord newcomers. Weak? Not quite sure what you mean but if we're talking film quality, even the worst of Showa is a masterpiece compared to Space Godzilla.
  • Not threatening
- I guess? Didn't think anyone watched these movies to feel "threatened." They're about spectacle, not scares.
- The acting in the Showa series isn't always stellar but, on average, it's vastly better than in later Godzilla films. Most of the series' fan favorite actors (Takarada, Mizuno, Sahara, Tsuchiya, Hoshi, Adams, Kubo, etc.) appeared in the Showa films.
  • Production values
- The production values for these films were actually quite good and the practical effects work was often more impressive than Western films of the same era. It's during the Heisei series that these movies fell behind in terms of effects quality.
- Not sure what this means.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not talking about other eras in the franchise just this specific time period these are just issues i have seen for the past 30 years from other fandoms i use.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

The amount of people in this fandom that take issue with the Showa series is extremely low. Most of them are actually contrarians. I hate that word because its usually used just to dismiss people's arguments but in this case that's literally what it is. Edgy kids, mostly, who feel the need to show off how "cool" they are for not liking the classics. Reminds me a lot of the edgy twats that say Slipknot is more metal than Black Sabbath. Most of these kids end up growing out of it, probably because half of what this franchise is IS the Showa era.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's also the MonsterVerse diehards who got into that series first, probably will never become hardcore fans of the Japanese stuff and see the oldest films as crap not worth their time.

Again, low level Reddit shit.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:45 am It's also the MonsterVerse diehards who got into that series first, probably will never become hardcore fans of the Japanese stuff and see the oldest films as crap not worth their time.

Again, low level Reddit shit.
And I suspect with time the "monsterverse diehard" archetype will die off. They will either integrate with the rest of the fandom and appreciate the older films or will just move on to another fandom in a few years time.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Provided Godzilla keeps going years into the future, and I hope it does, eventually the MV films will become the older films. They may face the same attitudes when compared to the future Godzilla films.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I'm kinda the odd man here in that I'm kinda half and half on Showa. On the one hand, I've gained a lot more appreciation for them and I love most of the Honda movies and the Mechagodzilla duology. But on the other hand, I just can't get into the other Fukuda films, Raids Again, AMA, or vs Hedorah.