Godzilla vs Destoroyah Cut Ending

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla vs Destoroyah Cut Ending

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Is there anywhere to watch GvD's cut ending? I understand that it was filmed, and I've tried to find it, but I haven't been able to find it. Has anyone been able to watch this?

For those who don't know, originally the freeze rays were going to tear holes in Destoroyah's wings, preventing him from flying away. Now, as he is literally melting down, Godzilla grabs Destoroyah by his head horn and beats him to death. This was cut to just having Destoroyah disintegrating after being hit by the freeze rays because they didn't wanna take away from Godzilla's death
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs Destoroyah Cut Ending

Post by Legion1979 »

It's been on every Japanese home video release of the movie. Is it on YouTube?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Haven’t found a YouTube copy yet, but google turned up this video on Facebook. I don’t even have Facebook and was able to watch it so hopefully it works for you

https://www.facebook.com/SuperGodzillaG ... 056653089/

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Holy shit.

Really. Holy shit.

As bad as the final film was, we were that close to having it be straight up terrible. Who knew that actually having Godzilla be the one to kill Destoroyah would somehow make for a worse ending than the one we got?

If that was supposed to be Junior at the end, I would never be able to tell (and that's saying something, because I didn't know it was Junior the first time I watched the damn movie, and I never knew until I looked it up on the internet). As far as this ending goes, it almost looks like it implies that Godzilla's rashes came off and he lived.

I'm thankful that this was deleted, because this would've been one of the most confusing/misleading movie endings ever.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why anyone would rank this movie beneath Megalon frankly baffles me. Had this film not been presented as a send off to a whole era, would’ve you gone easier on it since it wouldn’t have had as much to live up too?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:31 pm Why anyone would rank this movie beneath Megalon frankly baffles me. Had this film not been presented as a send off to a whole era, would you have gone easier on it since it wouldn’t have had as much to live up too?
No. In fact, had it not had the status as a send-off to an era, we would’ve treated it roughly the same as Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla—which is even worse.

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
Also, why the skreeonk are you even bringing Godzilla vs Megalon up? That had nothing to do with what I said above.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:01 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:31 pm Why anyone would rank this movie beneath Megalon frankly baffles me. Had this film not been presented as a send off to a whole era, would you have gone easier on it since it wouldn’t have had as much to live up too?
No. In fact, had it not had the status as a send-off to an era, we would’ve treated it roughly the same as Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla—which is even worse.

Also, why the skreeonk are you even bringing Godzilla vs Megalon up? That had nothing to do with what I said above.
You placed GVM above GVD in another thread.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:42 pm Holy shit.

Really. Holy shit.

As bad as the final film was, we were that close to having it be straight up terrible. Who knew that actually having Godzilla be the one to kill Destoroyah would somehow make for a worse ending than the one we got?

If that was supposed to be Junior at the end, I would never be able to tell (and that's saying something, because I didn't know it was Junior the first time I watched the damn movie, and I never knew until I looked it up on the internet). As far as this ending goes, it almost looks like it implies that Godzilla's rashes came off and he lived.

I'm thankful that this was deleted, because this would've been one of the most confusing/misleading movie endings ever.
You understand that clip is not the complete ending of the film, right? It’s just the scenes/shots that were cut during editing after filming wrapped. These scenes would have fit in to the ending we did get where appropriate. Like, rather than destroyer exploding as soon as he hits the ground you'd see the clip where he stands up for the final beat down from Godzilla and then we’d see the shot of him exploding that’s in the film. And then we’d have gotten the full meltdown sequence but with the extra couple shots seen in the clip inserted appropriately. And we’d have seen the same (or similar) zoom through the fog to grown up junior, just with the additional closeup shots added.

Added in 1 minute 42 seconds:
It’s not really an alternate ending. It’s just the pieces of the ending that were removed during editing.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:34 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:01 pm

You placed GVM above GVD in another thread.
Then bring it up in that thread. Not this one.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I would if I remembered which one it was.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Is it not on Youtube? Huh. I remember back in the day one of the biggest criticisms was about GvD's ending and people writing (was in G-Fan's letter section?) that having Super-X3 kill Destroyah and not Godzilla was insulting, and some seemed angry to find out that in the original cut there were these deleted bits that had Godzilla be the one to defeat Destroyah before he melts down.