Your views on the concept of "voting with your dollars" or supporting those you don't align with

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Your views on the concept of "voting with your dollars" or supporting those you don't align with

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:45 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:28 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:18 pm
Remember, no ethnical consumption under capitalism! ;)
I’d take capitalism over eating ethnic minorities :freak:
This wasn't a what-about-X statement. ;)

I'm well aware of the problems with other systems, but I was just making a point that due to the way of how money flows, eventually, regardless of your political beliefs, it will reach someone you don't like/agree with. The controversy and issue to me is how direct and obfuscated that pipe-line is.
-_- It was a joke about you spelling ethical wrong -_-
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your views on the concept of "voting with your dollars" or supporting those you don't align with

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:15 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:45 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:28 pm

I’d take capitalism over eating ethnic minorities :freak:
This wasn't a what-about-X statement. ;)

I'm well aware of the problems with other systems, but I was just making a point that due to the way of how money flows, eventually, regardless of your political beliefs, it will reach someone you don't like/agree with. The controversy and issue to me is how direct and obfuscated that pipe-line is.
-_- It was a joke about you spelling ethical wrong -_-
Oh fuck I didn’t notice that. Lmao sorry. :lol:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:28 pmI’d take capitalism over eating ethnic minorities :freak:
Same thing.

*Ba-dum-tish*
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Always found this to be a pretty meeeeh subject. Like you can hate a director all you want, but there's more than just a DIRECTOR that goes into making the film. Look at Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2. The director is a pedo, but the movies themselves were more than just his own making. The actor behind the titular creature, the crew, the cast... But they never get the recognition by some horror fans because of what the director did. I like the movies while acknowledging the director is total scum.

Now, if said director was actually IN the movie, such as Cosby in his own show... Well, I never really watched Cosby Show to begin with. And have no plans to at all.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ It's a shame Little Bill will probably never be seen again, though. My younger siblings watched it for years, and it was a solid kids' show.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:11 am ^ It's a shame Little Bill will probably never be seen again, though. My younger siblings watched it for years, and it was a solid kids' show.
Or Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids/The New Fat Albert Show/The Adventures of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. That was another classic.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

A good friend and I recently had a lengthy subject about this topic. I look at it like this: I'm not going to continue contributing money to someone who is outed as a terrible person, but I'm also not going to stop enjoying things that they made in the past or pretend that their work sucks because they're a bad person. I'll provide a few examples.

Back in my freshman year of college, this same friend's favorite actor was... Kevin Spacey. He introduced me to American Beauty and it became one of my favorite movies. Not long after that, it came to light that Kevin Spacey was a predatory ephebophile and watching his movies started to feel kinda icky. But that wasn't enough to make me suddenly decide to hate American Beauty, or The Usual Suspects, or any of his other films. I continue to enjoy those films but if Spacey somehow uncancels himself and gets another movie made, I'm not watching that shit.

The subject we discussed primarily was Kanye West. This friend happens to be Jewish, so I wanted to hear his thoughts on Kanye's anti-semitic remarks. He feels the same way I do; we already knew Kanye was a shitty person and had to "separate the art from the artist" to enjoy his music to begin with. Neither of us is going to remove the Kanye songs we enjoy from all of our playlists. We're also never going to buy another album from the man. The fact that I haven't enjoyed any of his recent work makes that decision easier, I'll confess, but I wouldn't feel right throwing money at a very influential public figure who openly hates Jewish people, especially when my two best friends are Jewish.

The one I've seen a lot of discourse about recently is Hogwarts Legacy. I'm aware lots of people are boycotting the game due to J.K. Rowling's transphobic viewpoints. I was never planning to play the game anyway and I'll admit that this one doesn't hit as close to home because I don't know any trans people. All the same, I wouldn't feel good about throwing $70 into the pocket of a wealthy and vocal bigot. But what if she was dead?

This brings me to one of my favorite film directors: Alfred Hitchcock. Let's not mince the words; the man was a creep who absolutely would've gone the way of Harvey Weinstein today. He exhibited all manner of predatory behavior toward his leading ladies that was pretty disgusting. He also made several of the greatest films of all time and is the defining auteur of the thriller genre. Knowing about his creepy behavior paints some of his films in a new light but it doesn't stop me from loving them. Plus, he's dead, so I don't feel too guilty about throwing $15 at a steelbook Blu-Ray of Psycho.

I think a sad reality most of us would rather not face is that almost anything we consume will have at least one shitty person involved with its creation. We have to choose where we draw our lines. I know where I draw mine and I don't judge other people on where they draw theirs, whether they're more willing to throw money at a toxic creator or they have a hard line of not consuming any media made by one, even one who's long dead. But I do judge people who consume a shitty creator's work and defend their shitty behavior. My buddy told me that one of his friends actively defends Kanye being anti-semitic. I think that's just fucked up.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy