Godzilla : Kaiju Daishingeki (Game Gear)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Godzilla : Kaiju Daishingeki (Game Gear)

Post by LegendZilla »

Do any of you mind if I bring up this overlooked gem of a game? Have any of you played it? If so, what's your opinion? I think the best way to describe it is Godzilla 2 for the NES done right.

For over a year now, I've been playing this game almost non-stop! Feedback will be much appreciated. Peace out.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla : Kaiju Daishingeki (Game Gear)

Post by G1985 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:52 pm Image

Do any of you mind if I bring up this overlooked gem of a game? Have any of you played it? If so, what's your opinion? I think the best way to describe it is Godzilla 2 for the NES done right.
I own it, have played it, and completely agree with your assessment that it is "Godzilla 2 for the NES done right". It's one of my favorite Godzilla games!

Carrerasaurus
Yojimbo

Post by Carrerasaurus »

I think a better description for this game would be "The two Godzilla games on the NES merged into one, but keeping only their best qualities." It has map mechanics reminiscent of Godzilla 2, and a combat system reminiscent of the original G:MOM, with energy bars and a time limit. This might be my favorite Godzilla videogame, and surely it's my favorite game in the entire Game Gear library.
The debug mode is a sweet feature if you want to play with kaiju that are unplayable in the Story Mode, or make normally impossible matchups like Moguera VS. MechaGodzilla, or even make everything CPU controlled so you can watch the game play itself.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

One caveat for anyone who is thinking about hunting down a used cartridge:

The game has a save / restore game option, which employs a small battery soldered inside the game cartridge to retain the saved game file. Nearly thirty years later, the battery will almost certainly be long dead (or burst inside the cartridge). Unless you open the case and use your soldering skills to replace the battery, attempts to save your progress will be erased as soon as you turn your Game Gear off.
Last edited by G1985 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.