Toho International buys stakes in some Frederator properties

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Toho International buys stakes in some Frederator properties

Post by John Pannozzi »

So, yeah, Toho International has bought 50% stakes in three American animated series from Frederator (itself part of Genius Brands International’s Wow! Unlimited Media); namely Bee and Puppycat, Bravest Warriors, and Catbug, a spin-off of Bravest Warriors currently in development:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/toho-i ... 235479523/
Friends don't lie.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Toho International buys stakes in some Frederator properties

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Until reading this article, I had never heard of Bravest Warriors. Looking into it now though, it's by the creator of Adventure Time and is positively recieved, so maybe that's pretty big? Seems like they also might continue it. Interesting.

My basic brain is telling me not to look into this too seriously; Toho like many Japanese companies are looking to globalize and expand their business outside of the country. Likewise, this seems like the type of thing they might want to put on Japanese TV and services here. Remember that TOHO produces and distributes a lot of animation films and television to general audiences. In that frame of mind, this decision makes sense and shouldn't be surprising.

My galaxy brain is telling me they'll make a new Godzilla cartoon through Channel Fredeator and it'll be similar to Godzilla Monsters and Protectors in terms of tone and content.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:21 pm My basic brain is telling me not to look into this too seriously; Toho like many Japanese companies are looking to globalize and expand their business outside of the country. Likewise, this seems like the type of thing they might want to put on Japanese TV and services here. Remember that TOHO produces and distributes a lot of animation films and television to general audiences. In that frame of mind, this decision makes sense and shouldn't be surprising.

My galaxy brain is telling me they'll make a new Godzilla cartoon through Channel Fredeator and it'll be similar to Godzilla Monsters and Protectors in terms of tone and content.
Hoping your galaxy brain winds up being the accurate one lol.

Interesting that they have Bravest Warriors in their possession. That show kinda has a tragic backstory once you look into it, it was created by the same person that made Adventure Time, was supposed to be a YouTube original, but management affairs made it crash during it's later years. This video goes a bit more in depth.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This is the downside of having given up standard TV service years ago. I'm totally out of the loop these days when it comes to cartoons. I'd never heard of any of these shows. I know Frederator for Fairly Odd Parents and some other shows of that time. Didn't even realize they were behind Adventure Time . I don't know if they're the studio I'd pick to make a Godzilla cartoon, if that's what's happening here, but then again, they might lean hard into the goofy, Showa-style wackiness that's largely missing from kaiju media today. Properly executed, that would be a very good thing.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hang on let me call the super president of Toho - Mr. Shimatani, Chairman of Toho Co. Ltd, a major subsidiary of the Hankyu Hanshin Toho Group. I'll ask him what this is all about.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Could this pave way for Toho making more acquisitions and/or mergers in the future?