Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by LegendZilla »

One's enjoyment of SP may largely come down to tolerance for style over substance. Other than that, it may provide them with something to intellectually gloat over.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:50 pm One's enjoyment of SP may largely come down to tolerance for style over substance. Other than that, it may provide them with something to intellectually gloat over.
Oh come on, the show has plenty of substance. I'm not going to argue it exceeds on all fronts (in fact I would agree there are a lot of areas the show could improve on), but has a lot of different things to appreciate that aren't superficial or purely stylistic. It's got some great staged fight scenes for those wanting an action fix (although is much weaker when it comes to the Godzilla sized threats), it has what I'd consider to be a rather compelling story and contrary to popular criticism, does have a central character arch (in the development of Jet Jaguar). And the things to "intellectual gloat" over can also lead to further speculation, discussion, thought, as hard science fiction works should (I had an excellent conversation with a computer scientist on another site regarding the show's use of data encryption as both inventive and thought provoking). The series also tosses around some philosophical undertones that further explore and compliment the concepts the show is working with for more liberal arts type intellectual engagement.

And just to show I'm not a singular point ultra fan I'll concede that the method of communicating the sci fi exposition was clunky and left a lot to be desired (although I'm impressed with how they meaningfully tied it into the climax's resolution), the "homages" to shin godzilla came off as a crutch, and the kaiju sized action scenes were underutilized.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:50 pm One's enjoyment of SP may largely come down to tolerance for style over substance. Other than that, it may provide them with something to intellectually gloat over.
Just because people liked this when you didn't doesn't mean that they are wrong to like it. This is really rude.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:38 pm.
And just to show I'm not a singular point ultra fan I'll concede that the method of communicating the sci fi exposition was clunky and left a lot to be desired...
Mind you thats largely just Toh Enjoe's writing style. He's apparently pretty infamous for it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:02 pm
Mind you thats largely just Toh Enjoe's writing style. He's apparently pretty infamous for it.
I have heard that it his style, and when I initially watched the show I wasn't really bothered by it (full disclosure I am someone with a background in stem so it wasn't too jarring). Upon further reflecting on the show, my opinion has changed. I recognize there are times when Toh Enjoe is much more precise and efficient in his exposition (a la the rubix cube), and other times when I think his self indulgence becomes more of a hinderance than an aid. But I do enjoy the show overall.
He Jock it Made of Steel

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Ironically, this sounds like an attempt of intellectual gloating.

SP has substance. You may not like that substance, but it is present. It’s okay for people to enjoy something you didn’t resonate with.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Singular Point has won the Best Media award at the 53rd Seiun Awards
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:12 pm
Ironically, this sounds like an attempt of intellectual gloating.

SP has substance. You may not like that substance, but it is present. It’s okay for people to enjoy something you didn’t resonate with.
You more or less took the words right out of my brain. As Terasawa already stated, that just sounds flat-out rude.

Added in 26 seconds:
NSZ wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:42 am Singular Point has won the Best Media award at the 53rd Seiun Awards
As I feel it deserves.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

NSZ wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:42 am Singular Point has won the Best Media award at the 53rd Seiun Awards
Nice! Was beginning to wonder what happened with that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

A lot of cool info is still coming out of the novelization. When red dust appears on land it creates Anguirus, in water it produces Rodan, and the Kumonga are created by parasites feasting on the corpses of dead. Anguirus is also a species like the Rodan with individuals appearing in the southwestern United States. It was also the fight between Jet Jaguar and Anguirus that inspired Shiva to start work on Mechagodzilla.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

It’s a pretty fun and trippy watch when you’re blown. It makes the jargon sound hella cryptic. I think the series is fun overall and there are a number of ways to perceive it.

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:22 pm A lot of cool info is still coming out of the novelization. When red dust appears on land it creates Anguirus, in water it produces Rodan, and the Kumonga are created by parasites feasting on the corpses. Anguirus is also a species like the Rodan with individuals appearing in the southwestern United States. It was also the fight between Jet Jaguar and Anguirus that inspired Shiva to start work on Mechagodzilla.
Then how did Godzilla Aquatilis get created if the Rodans were created from Archetype in the water? :shock:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

My theory the other mutations are kinda like side effects of the red dust. Godzilla is the actual Singular Point trying to manifest itself in our world and the red dust is a byproduct of this.

Added in 2 hours 49 minutes 51 seconds:
Another tidbit I found. The SP in the series in an abbreviation for species not Singular Point. Godzilla SP is the in-universe scientific name for the creature. Because it's ability to evolve is unlike anything science has ever seen it's impossible for them to categorize it. Thus it was given the name Godzilla SP as a placeholder.

Follow this account for more. She slowly post new tidbits as she makes her way through the novel.

https://twitter.com/KyoeiToshi?t=d4BLJE ... FyAZg&s=09

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Thanks for the sharing the info Tyrant Lizard King this just makes me want to see season 2 become a reality even more.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I don't hear enough love for the SP soundtrack.
Singularpoint came on my playlist today, and it blew me away how much of a.... traditional Godzilla vibe, I guess, it had, until it goes a little.... bigger and more operatic.
Most every track, especially the action/monster tracks remind me of how much I perceived the show to be a radical reinterpretation of the Showa series but still strongly rooted in the style and vibe of the Showa series.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:33 pm I don't hear enough love for the SP soundtrack.
Singularpoint came on my playlist today, and it blew me away how much of a.... traditional Godzilla vibe, I guess, it had, until it goes a little.... bigger and more operatic.
Most every track, especially the action/monster tracks remind me of how much I perceived the show to be a radical reinterpretation of the Showa series but still strongly rooted in the style and vibe of the Showa series.
I am constantly returning to that soundtrack, it’s so well made. Every version of Alapu Upala is so good and stands out as unique.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm going to go off the head canon that SP is a result of what Godzilla Earth is doing every time we see him sleep. He's trying to manifest in a lower reality.

Ghidorah was doing the same thing in Planet Eater, but he's from he's from a higher reality than Godzilla Earth.

In all seriousness, the more I hear about Ultima, the more I think they should just use Void Ghidorah in SP. They sound like they do the same thing.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:01 am In all seriousness, the more I hear about Ultima, the more I think they should just use Void Ghidorah in SP. They sound like they do the same thing.
That's bound to piss off a lot of people around here.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Tbh I'm not mad about it, I love Void Ghidorah.
Don't know if I love that name, but yknow.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Void Ghidorah does fit with the narrative