Can Dinosaur work with Horror Genre

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Can Dinosaur work with Horror Genre

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Since dinosaurs made their way into the main stream they always been in either action movie or documentaries. But there has been a huge lack of dinosaur in the horror media, The only time dinosaurs have been fully exploited with this idea is Dino crisis, which have been shown to be a major success, so why not make more movies/games were there is more horror element with a dinosaurs idea
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Can Dinosaur work with Horror gene

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm Since dinosaurs made their way into the main stream they always been in either action movie or documentaries. But there has been a huge lack of dinosaur in the horror media, The only time dinosaurs have been fully exploited with this idea is Dino crisis, which have been shown to be a major success, so why not make more movies/games were there is more horror element with a dinosaurs idea
Well, it doesn't help that most dinosaur horror movies are also extremely low budget. Not all of them are bad. I still have a weakness for the Carnosaur movies. But a lot suck just because they're so low budget that they're not even so bad thay're good like the Carno trilogy, save a few exceptions. I think it can work, so long as it stays limited on what they show and how many dinosaurs there are. When the movie turns into survivor with dinosaurs in every other scene and all of a different species, the movie really isn't scary. Take a movie and pit a small party up against a realistic pack of raptors or something, and treat the raptors like you would a pack of wolves or a lion den... Then you have something that could actually be "scary."

Or hell, I know there's African legends of dinosaurs. Wouldn't be hard to make a movie centered around that specific one, maybe a found footage thing or something.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Carnosaur immediately came to my mind as well. There's also the film Dinosaurus. It's one those so bad it's good films but also sets the T-Rex up as the sole object of terror.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Fix that misspelling of genre it's unsatisfying

A dinosaur horror film could for sure work.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Can Dinosaur work with Horror Genre

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I remember this game, might be coming out this year but I don’t know. Looks pretty good even with the graphics
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wait, haven't dinosaurs always been something people love? Can a species of animals really be considered mainstream or not. Kids love dinosaurs. Jurassic Park was one of the biggest movies of all time 30 years ago. Its a billion dollar franchise. And there have been several horror movies with dinosaurs. Carnosaur comes to mind immediately.

I think the only reason they don't do dinosaur horror movies is the cost. All you need for a slasher film is makeup and a murder weapon. A convincing dinosaur isn't cheap.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

True, but CGI could always make a convincing dinosaur.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:39 am True, but CGI could always make a convincing dinosaur.
But it wouldn't be cheap. That's Legion's point: you don't see many dinosaur movies because they are expensive to produce.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Honestly, Jurassic Park 3 is the best Dinosaur Horror movie without it being an utter and total-gore fest. Likewise, I'd say that Jurassic Park is a horror film, albiet with some whimsy and magic, and definitely moments of all the subsequent Jurassic Park/World films contain horror elements.

Legion1979 has summed it up nicely (the horror genre is low budget, rated r films tend to be lower budget) and therefore it's difficult to make what you probably want.

Funnily enough, there's two DECENT (not amazing) Dinosaur horror films that I think you'd at least be vaguely interested in and are worth a watch. The Last Dinosaur (1977) and Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster birds (1977). Both are Japanese productions, and feature dinosaurian creatures eating people. I guess 1977 was a good year for dinos!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Dinosaur
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 1106194230

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of ... ster_Birds
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The first image that popped into my head was The Exorcist poster, only the priest is a raptor.
Not gonna lie, I'd watch The Jurassic Exorcist.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Syfy channel has shown horror films featuring prehistoric monsters. Poseidon Rex is one example.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Isn't that new Adam Driver movie attempting to market itself as a horror film?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Couple seconds long but it’s fairly good representation of what horror film with dinosaur could be

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:58 pm Isn't that new Adam Driver movie attempting to market itself as a horror film?
From what I saw it’s more action than horror, it probably will have some scenes that are scary but probably not the entire film

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Sure a post apocalyptic dinosaur film set after the K-Pg mass extinction would be a great horror story of you get Craig Mazin of Chernobyl involved.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

It can... The problem is movies try & fail too often, & games don't try enough. Script & BUDGET seem to be the biggest culprits. Although, the new movie "65" looks promising.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Yes but no. Hollywood only wants to make dinosaur films to see toys. I'd like to see a JP novel adaptation but no studio would fund something so gory they couldn't market it to children. The last great hurrah for horror was the eighties as far as mainstream gore is concerned.
Last edited by Malchik on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Does this answer your question?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

It absolutely can, it just needs the proper team to do it. It's unfortunate dinosaurs have the image problem of being just for kids, which the Jurassic World films did NOT help with, but t's not impossible to make a scary dinosaur movie again.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe Dino-ghosts could be a thing.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It might be possible to adapt the Bradbury story A Sound of Thunder into a horror film. I know a film has already been made based off it, and didn't do well with critics, but something more focused on a hunting party lost in the past might be one route.