Should Toho re-adapt the Yamato Takeru myth?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Should Toho re-adapt the Yamato Takeru myth?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hi, LegendZilla here with my first new thread of the year. In the past, Toho adapted (albeit loosely) the legendary prince Yamato Takeru on to film. The studio has done it not once, but twice in the Showa and Heisei eras respectively even if the results were mixed at best. Since the myth is so iconic, is it worth a third try for the Reiwa era? If you agree, what steps do you think should be done to get it right? I suggest splitting the story into a trilogy, with each film focusing on the character collecting one item of the Imperial Japanese regalia.

Making it a trilogy could also provide more time to flesh out the characters and world a lot more. Regardless, what's your stance on a third attempt at bringing the iconic Japanese myth to life? If so, feel free to share suggestions of your own. Peace out and Happy 2023! ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Should Toho re-adapt the Yamato Takeru myth?

Post by Gigantis »

Toho wouldn't make a trilogy unless the first film did well. That's what they planned last time, and all the plans went down the toilet.

With that said, I think Toho should try making something different with the mythos. They're not against using Orochi considering a new version of him is being used in some other film, but I don't think the story itself is in the need to be remade thrice.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:59 am Toho wouldn't make a trilogy unless the first film did well. That's what they planned last time, and all the plans went down the toilet.
I think it all comes down to how execution. What killed their last attempt was ultimately the same issues as the latter Heisei Godzilla films. It could work as a trilogy if they filmed all 3 films back-to-back like the LOTR trilogy.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:02 pmI think it all comes down to how execution. What killed their last attempt was ultimately the same issues as the latter Heisei Godzilla films. It could work as a trilogy if they filmed all 3 films back-to-back like the LOTR trilogy.
I'm on this boat. I wrote an essay on the Showa version while I lived in Japan during college, more so as an excuse to finally see it more than anything else (Showa version is not available in the US). The original texts have a LOT going on, which the Showa version sort of gets into but the Heisei version fails to lay foundation for completely.

If it were to be adapted again, Toho would have to pull a LOTR-type situation as LegendZilla mentioned. Announce and FULLY COMMIT to doing the whole thing, broken up and carefully planned out so that the story and growth of the characters are properly handled. It's a tall order and I highly doubt the current Toho model would work for it, as most of their movies are either a one-and-done thing or a planned series that is often rushed and consequently falls flat (the 1994 version is a good example).

All of this, on top of finding a way to make it "stand out" and be memorable to movie goers.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Creature22 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:22 pm It's a tall order and I highly doubt the current Toho model would work for it, as most of their movies are either a one-and-done thing or a planned series that is often rushed and consequently falls flat.
Yeah, Toho 20 years ago, not so much. But with modern Toho I'd say it's worth a shot. Heck, Daiei filmed their Daimajin trilogy back-to-back in 1966.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:32 pm Yeah, Toho 20 years ago, not so much. But with modern Toho I'd say it's worth a shot. Heck, Daiei filmed their Daimajin trilogy back-to-back all the way back in 1966.
One thing to note though is that each Daimajin film is its own individual story. With something like Yamato Takeru, there would be recurring characters who would have to come back for each installment. I think the Gamera trilogy from the 90s would be a better comparison, but even so I'm not sure if current Toho would be able to fully commit to a multi-picture series like that and lay the groundwork to make it strong.

I think there'd be a lot of potential for them to drop the ball and rush it, or get cold feet and quit after "Yamato Takeru: Part 1" doesn't perform to their expectations. Both of these things are essentially what killed the 1994 version.
Last edited by Creature22 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Toho has maintaining a near total adversity to continuity between their kaiju films since 1999.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:00 pm ^Toho has been treating continuity between films as a weakness since 1999.
No they haven’t?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.