Gamera vs. Garasharp

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Gamera vs. Garasharp

Post by Shenanigans »

I imagine that pretty much everyone here first heard of Gamera vs. Garasharp as being the ill-fated 1972 Gamera project abandoned as a result of Daiei’s bankruptcy after Gamera vs. Zigra. A short film outlining the major bullet points of the supposedly lost story with new artwork and miniatures was released in 1991 as part of a Laserdisc set... and I feel like that's about all that was known for a while (at least to me). However, in recent years the project has apparently been reclassified as an original short film created exclusively for that 1991 Laserdisc set, per sources listed on Wikizilla, and is in fact not based on a lost film after all.

Still a lot of mysteries surrounding this thing though. I continue to see conflicting reports on what exactly it is and what it was intended to be, as the rumor persists that it is based on a scrapped film. I'm fairly positive one of the Shout Factory Gamera DVD's that featured this short in its entirety also described it as being based on a lost film (been some time since I watched it though).

What is known for sure is that more Gamera films were planned in the early 70’s, with the one that got furthest along being the tentatively-titled Gamera vs. the Two-Headed Monster W, in which Gamera would have fought a winged, two-headed serpent kaiju (apparently designed in part to be a sort of arch nemesis for Gamera as King Ghidorah was to Godzilla, IIRC?). While I've seen others assume this project morphed into Gamera vs. Garasharp before being scrapped, its also possible that Garasharp was merely inspired by the character of W and came much later, as is now believed to be the case.

It does certainly seem odd that they created the character and story of Garasharp, complete with several miniature models and sets, specifically for a three-minute clip on a Laserdisc set - especially with how... "incomplete" the given story seems with the majority being told through concept art alone. And yet, that is almost word-for-word what the short's supervisor said of the project in an interview ("The creator of the film announced that it was the un-produced Gamera movie. But Garasharp is a character which was made specifically for the bonus track of the LD set." ~Noriaki Yuasa). Even so, there may be more to Garasharp’s creation than meets the eye, whether he was actually intended to appear in an earlier film as the long-standing rumors insist or if he really was created exclusively for the short film that merely drew inspiration from some old, scrapped ideas. And if it’s the later – what exactly was the purpose of the short, if there even was one?

The short was directed by Nisan Takahashi, the screenwriter of all of the Showa Gamera films who made a couple attempts to revive Gamera during the Heisei period; most notably, he was trying to get a straight-to-video movie called Gamera vs. Phoenix made in the mid-90’s before the franchise (thankfully) took the big-budget reboot turn instead. Perhaps Gamera vs. Garasharp was intended to be something similar?

Regardless of all the rumors and speculation, one thing seems clear - there are some key details missing from the short film as it was presented, none more pressing to me than what the hell Marukobukarappa is doing there. (BTW, while Garasharp's origins are contested, Marukobukarappa was indeed created in the Showa era during the development of Gamera vs. Viras; concept art can be found on Wikizilla.) Methinks there are still more answers yet to be uncovered.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't done a whole heck of a lot of research on this and only began digging deeper into it over the last week, so I'm sure others may be able to supply more info. But, regardless, I'm interested in hearing what others think of this peculiar little oddity of Gamera's extended history nonetheless. Garasharp's a pretty rad monster IMO, fits right in with the Showa kaiju style.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gamera vs. Garasharp

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This has always been a major source of intrigue for me as a Gamera fan. Lost film or not, there's something unique to having a strange little minature and original monster neatly tucked away on a laser disc, never to be seen again, with contradicting stories. Yusasa was the Honda/Tsubaraya of the Showa Gamera series, so there's no reason to not take what he said at face value, but the quote that Wikizilla cites is still a bit ambigious and I personally think it can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

The quote that Wikizilla cited from Yusasa is this:
The creator of the film announced that it was the un-produced Gamera movie. But Garasharp is a character which was made specifically for the bonus tr[a]ck of the LD set
Who is he reffering to as the creator? Yusasa presumably filmed the minatures and helped put them together. The writer, Nisan Takahashi? The creator of the Laser Disc set? Some unknown entity/producer that existed during the downfall of Daiei?

Youtuber and Archivist RickdaSquirrel actually found someone to translate the LD, which included stuff that directly contradicts Yusasa's statement:
0:10 This is an uncovered future project which was never realized. 0:15 We've polished and recreated its highlights with illustrations and miniatures
It would not surprise me if:
A. Whoever was responsible for designing and the creator of Garasharp, probably pitched it as an idea for a full-fledged film, or more cohesive short film. However, it wasn't taken seriously at all, in contrast to Gamera vs. W, and was shot down immediately, but was repurposed for this short.

B. The idea that it was a lost project, stated by the creator in the LD, was an outright lie, meant to drum up hype for Gamera.

I honestly lean towards B, but it's still murky. Anyways, beyond the origin, there's still a lot of fun stuff to discuss about this short.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Garasharp itself is a nice design and interesting foe for Gamera.

Based on Yusasa, it sounds like they mixed unused footage with a new kaiju to give viewers an extra reason for buying a movie and/or create speculation among fans to keep Gamera in their minds to generate interest in future installments.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Any info on that mushroom-looking monster?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:19 pm Any info on that mushroom-looking monster?
Pretty much next to nothing other than it's name, and some concept art:

You can see Murokappa being listed there. What's interesting to note is that it's listed next to "Others" "その他” implying it probably wasn't all that important, compared to some other creatures on the page.

My guess is that the minature/figure was made based on that design probably because it would never seriously be considered for a film again. "We want another monster/thing to excite people, what do we have? Oh this concept art looks easy to make a model out of!"

Here's it as a suit:

I think what's going on here, in both relation to the "short" and Gamera franchise at large is that we know, compared to the Godzilla series, very little about abandoned projects/concept art and unused ideas. Sure, we know a little, about that flying squirrel monster that was replaced by Space Gyaos, W, and some Ice Giants, but after that it's dimminishing returns. Nothing like the wealth of information we have on unused Heisei Scripts, Biollante, Orga and other monster concept art, or anything that secretive. Likewise, I don't think there's such a drive to know super-secretive stuff about Gamera, although I'd love to be proven wrong.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I haven't done a deep dive into this, but this has always fascinated me as well. Especially because Garasharp is so interesting. There's something about the clunky designs in this that always freak me out in a good way.

Anyway, by sifting through this I think one could argue that the original point of contention may all be up to translation, turn of phrase and context. It's very possible that what was said, or at least meant, is that this WAS a lost film/concept but that they created a new Garasharp model as nothing previously existed for the film.

So it's both a lost film and also everything made for the short was made specifically for the laserdisc because there wasn't anything made previously, or survived.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The flying squirrel-like monster's name, btw, was Monga. Its name came from the Japanese dwarf flying squirrel or momonga (Pteromys momonga).
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed May 24, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:12 pm
The creator of the film announced that it was the un-produced Gamera movie. But Garasharp is a character which was made specifically for the bonus tr[a]ck of the LD set
Who is he reffering to as the creator? Yusasa presumably filmed the minatures and helped put them together. The writer, Nisan Takahashi? The creator of the Laser Disc set? Some unknown entity/producer that existed during the downfall of Daiei?
So, I'm thinking on what you've written and the quote, and here's my thought, which overlaps with some discussion we've had recently in other threads about the meaning of who and what is a fictional character.

It's possible Yusasa worked on the idea in the seventies for Gamera to fight a serpentine monster as seems to be confirmed, and Takahashi or whoever else this 'creator' is, used that as a basis for the villain of the short film, intending it to be sort of a continuation/development of Yuasa's original plan, but that Yuasa himself views Garasharp as a later, separate creation from the serpent monster he envisioned in the seventies, feeling he might have made different creative choices, such as the three heads, and therefore not see Garasharp as a continuation of the same idea.

So Garasharp could be s a separate character because of the different origin and final design, but at once they're both serpent monsters Gamera was meant to fight, so maybe these differences are not so important. We certainly recognize the different versions of Bagan as part of the same creature despite name and design changes, or that ape and octopus kaiju were earlier versions of Godzilla. It could go either way.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

After hearing about this short at first some few years back, I was all excited to see it! And shortly after watching most of the Showa films about...two years ago? I sought this down online to kind of "finish" the era as it was...and I was so disappointed. To me the problem is so much of it was told via concept art, and when we did see the miniatures, they didn't do much. I went in expecting some cheesy crappy yet still effort put into it small action piece - key word here being action, as in movement. Any motion really. And it just wasn't to be.

My dream is, whether miniatures and stop motion, or CGI, or suitamation, that someone comes back to this concept and these particular kaiju, and keeping to the Showa aesthetic, makes the short I dreamed of before watching this, the one where the characters actually move around and fight a bit. I'm really not asking for much, just that the promise of this short is lived up to one day, just a small self contained little Gamera adventure, a final hurrah of the Showa styled Gamera with a weird little snake monster and whatever the heck that other thing was supposed to be. That's all, that's all I want. At this point I'll take half assed hand puppets if I got to.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:15 pm After hearing about this short at first some few years back, I was all excited to see it! And shortly after watching most of the Showa films about...two years ago? I sought this down online to kind of "finish" the era as it was...and I was so disappointed. To me the problem is so much of it was told via concept art, and when we did see the miniatures, they didn't do much. I went in expecting some cheesy crappy yet still effort put into it small action piece - key word here being action, as in movement. Any motion really. And it just wasn't to be.

My dream is, whether miniatures and stop motion, or CGI, or suitamation, that someone comes back to this concept and these particular kaiju, and keeping to the Showa aesthetic, makes the short I dreamed of before watching this, the one where the characters actually move around and fight a bit. I'm really not asking for much, just that the promise of this short is lived up to one day, just a small self contained little Gamera adventure, a final hurrah of the Showa styled Gamera with a weird little snake monster and whatever the heck that other thing was supposed to be. That's all, that's all I want. At this point I'll take half assed hand puppets if I got to.
I know this might not be exactly what you wanted, but there's a comic that Matt Frank did featuring Garasharp that is featured in the Japanese Dark Horse collection. It's short, so once again don't get your hopes up, but it's something.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:35 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:15 pm After hearing about this short at first some few years back, I was all excited to see it! And shortly after watching most of the Showa films about...two years ago? I sought this down online to kind of "finish" the era as it was...and I was so disappointed. To me the problem is so much of it was told via concept art, and when we did see the miniatures, they didn't do much. I went in expecting some cheesy crappy yet still effort put into it small action piece - key word here being action, as in movement. Any motion really. And it just wasn't to be.

I know this might not be exactly what you wanted, but there's a comic that Matt Frank did featuring Garasharp that is featured in the Japanese Dark Horse collection. It's short, so once again don't get your hopes up, but it's something.
Eh, I really only have so much cash funds and storage space relegated to comic books, so unless it's something really special like Half Century War I'm probably not going to check it out. Especially with comics I feel a bit more judgy when it comes to the story/writing than I am with video - like my brain's saying if I'm giving up seeing character in motion then the story has to pick up slack I guess? At least if I'm spending money on it. Might be different if I had a local comic book shop, but I don't so I have to add shipping and handling to the costs which makes me a lot pickier.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:58 pmEh, I really only have so much cash funds and storage space relegated to comic books, so unless it's something really special like Half Century War I'm probably not going to check it out. Especially with comics I feel a bit more judgy when it comes to the story/writing than I am with video - like my brain's saying if I'm giving up seeing character in motion then the story has to pick up slack I guess? At least if I'm spending money on it. Might be different if I had a local comic book shop, but I don't so I have to add shipping and handling to the costs which makes me a lot pickier.
Luckily for you...
https://www.deviantart.com/kaijusamurai ... -last-hope

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:27 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:58 pmEh, I really only have so much cash funds and storage space relegated to comic books, so unless it's something really special like Half Century War I'm probably not going to check it out. Especially with comics I feel a bit more judgy when it comes to the story/writing than I am with video - like my brain's saying if I'm giving up seeing character in motion then the story has to pick up slack I guess? At least if I'm spending money on it. Might be different if I had a local comic book shop, but I don't so I have to add shipping and handling to the costs which makes me a lot pickier.
Luckily for you...
https://www.deviantart.com/kaijusamurai ... -last-hope
Free things are the best things - thank you! :D