Ultraman Nexus (2004-2005)

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Ultraman Nexus (2004-2005)

Post by darthzilla99 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Ever since the Heisei era began, every Ultra show (with the exception of Powered), relied exclusively on original monsters without bringing back the classics. This lasted until 2004 with Nexus, when audiences by the masses got tired of all-new monsters every show and began craving old favourites.
Small correction, but the first Cosmos movie did have Baltan as the antagonist to Cosmos.

I have my The next region 2 dvd, which has English subs.

I started on nexus back when it was on crunchyroll. It definitely has great themes and character development. I know this nitpicking, but the miniatures for the vehicles were bad, even compared to tiga. I'm guessing since they were pushing the cgi, the miniatures effect quality went down a little even compared to both max and earlier ultra shows.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

People being "tired of new monsters" isn't what brought the return of Showa kaiju. The series was in a freefall and nearing its end following the failure of Ultraman Nexus - Which had NOTHING to do with its cast of kaiju, but its placement on TV. It was marketed and put in with children's shows when the series itself was originally envisioned and supposed to air later in the day and target a mature audience. Having Max pull a full 180 and be more akin to a Showa series and using kaiju from Ultraman and Ultraseven was an experiment that worked, and a formula they then perfected with Mebius and continue to use to this day (now with even more toy gimmicks!). The use of classic characters is an attempt to draw in long time, older fans to tune in while still keeping it modern to attract the next generation.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

ok...so I just finally finished Nexus via the Mill Creek DVD set. I guess I never fully watched it to the end, which would explain why I dont even remember the latter host (Ren), or how it ended. :lol: . Every time I went to watch the show I got about a dozen episodes in, and got distracted by other things. So those first few episodes I knew well, but the latter ones were all new to me.

It was an interesting series, despite some of the jarring changes late in the show. Perhaps an attempt to course correct, that just didn't work. In hindsight some 18 years later, it is definitely a solid entry in the franchise. I enjoy it for what it is.

I'm glad they actually connected the dots between The Next and Nexus (even if it was via MIB amnesia). I thought it was going to be left as something vague told in a novel or Manga adaptation, but glad it was actually shown. I'm unclear on a few things however...

The host for the majority of the series (Himeya) was pretty clearly shown to have died, not sure how he appeared at the very end. Also Ren the latter host was supposed to be dying because the cure he needed wasn't developed, yet he still lived "somehow"??? I mean I'm all for happy endings, but not when there isn't a clear explanation, or maybe I just missed it.

The idea of an Ultraman who's power can continually be passed is a neat Idea. Tiga played with that a little bit, allowing the will of children to resurrect him once before. Also later, Zero would be shown to have this ability (having 3 hosts so far I think?), and now in retrospect, I can understand why the Captain in Ultraman X was able to be the host of Nexus on a couple of occasions (which seemed random at the time).
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^
Spoiler:
We see a few dead characters in the final montage, right? I assumed it was not meant to be taken literally.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Mid-way through the series. First time watching it in over 10 years, so fair to say I forgot a good chunk of details. I've recalled a lot of the important details, but stuff I completely forgot. Especially about the second host/dunamest. Galberos still remains my favorite kaiju of the series, and a favorite all around, but I really did forget how cool Nosferu and Kutuura were. For some reason, all I could remember about Nosferu was the hostage situation stuff, and remembered being bored by it. Now it's one of the better arcs.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Kutuura is one of my all time favorite ultra-kaiju. Nosferu is up there too, for sure.
Man, might be time to rewatch Nexus soon.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just finished the series. And man, still as good as I remember. However, you can really tell they were crunching to get the finale down after their episode count was dwindled. It really sucks. I think with just a couple more episodes, the final two would have been so much more with a bit more build up.

Quote of the Year:

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Yes, you really feel like those last few episodes are on fast-forward to fit everything in. That's my one substantial critique of an otherwise classic series.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Esmael is the most underrated hybrid boss monster in the series. I think he looks really cool. Nosferu is such a cool sinister looking monster, probably one of my absolute favorite Ultra monster designs. I also really like Golegolem. Oh can't forget Mizorogi. Love that guy. First half is probably my favorite, partially because Mizorogi was a fun villain and because I just prefer Himeya over Ren as a character.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

So I just started watching this show earlier this week and so far I'm not very impressed with it. I just don't know what it is I'm just not getting into the show. Perhaps its because I remember when it first came out that it was hyped as one of the best, if not the best Ultra show to date. I'm not very far though into the show so perhaps it gets better. I'll be watching episode 9 later tonight.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Maybe it's not your thing... but, I do think it's around episode 10 or so where everything clicks into place.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:59 pm ^ Maybe it's not your thing... but, I do think it's around episode 10 or so where everything clicks into place.
I'm currently on Episode 13 which is the second to last episode on Disc 2 and its gotten slightly better but still not enjoying it that much. I just feel like they're forcing the show to be edgy for the hell of it.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Anybody else find the "dun dun dun dun dun dun dun NEXUS" commercial sting stuck in their head over a year and a half after watching the show?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I watched it in 2016 and it still pops in from time to time!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Love both theme songs. The 3rd ending theme Burning Red Pulse is quite the banger too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I just finished off the main show last night and honestly, I just couldn't get into it. The monster designs where pretty cool as well as some cool concepts for the Ultraman mythos but overall, I just couldn't get into the story at all.

Probably going to check out Ultraman the Next later tonight or tomorrow.

PC Specs