Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by king_ghidorah »

He was also really great in the latest Japan Sinks miniseries which is on Netflix fyi

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Is it wrong to like the Monsterverse? Like I’ve seen a lot of dislike for it and I’ve been questioning if I should like it or not.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:39 am Is it wrong to like the Monsterverse? Like I’ve seen a lot of dislike for it and I’ve been questioning if I should like it or not.
Of course it's not wrong. We're talking about movies, here. Entertainment. It's all for fun. Watch what you want, like what you like. Ignore fandom factions and rivalries. None of that shit actually matters at all, and you absolutely should not be letting internet 'dislike' get in the way of you enjoying your hobby. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is a moron not worth listening to.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:39 am Is it wrong to like the Monsterverse? Like I’ve seen a lot of dislike for it and I’ve been questioning if I should like it or not.
No, not in the slightest. Just because others dislike something, doesn't mean that you should dislike it for that reason. Personally really enjoy the Monsterverse. Now unless the Monsterverse has done something problematic that I don't know about, there is no reason that everyone should dislike it.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I think it's also worth keeping in mind that fans complain because they care. If someone is going to take the time to go online and type up a post tearing a movie apart, that's a sign that they don't dislike the movie as much as they let on. They really care about it a lot, and are invested enough to think about it and talk about it. Maybe they want it to be better or different, true. But speaking for myself, if I honestly don't like a movie, I forget about it and move on with my life.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Thank you guys for helping me, I do have a problem above taking things too personally, I gotta stop doing that. It will cause unnecessary problem along the way

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, MonsterVerse has become one of my favorite "eras" of the franchise, easily. The Godzilla design itself is starting to replace the Godzilla I visualize when someone says his name, in which case it was the Heisei design for as long as I can remember.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

"IF YOU LIKED SOMETHING IN MONSTERVERSE AS YOUR FAVORITE YOU NEVER LIKED ORIGINAL GODZILLA SERIES IN THE FIRST PLACE"

That sure would be a silly thing to hear wouldn't it? The MV movies to me are kinda hit or miss, but I can't deny they've been overall good for the brand.

It's kinda like Transformers in that sense. The Geewun boomers will cry all the way, but never admit that the Michael Bay movies, despite their huge ass flaws, have been very good for the brand. Without the success of the movies, there would never be the kind of renaissance the series is going through right now.

Also MVGodzilla's probably one of my favorite designs and incarnations, and its kinda crazy how huge of an influence it is in terms of design.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Probably preaching to the choir here but still, nope. Not in the slightest. In the end of the day an opinion is an opinion no matter how subjective or objective it might be in nature, and getting personal over it is frankly a waste of time. You like something? Continue liking it! People can have different reasons for enjoying a certain piece of media and that’s fine, variety provides a longevity of discussion. Criticism can provide legitimate arguments regarding the assessed quality of a film or show, but it still shouldn’t tell you how to personally feel about it- this notion is ridiculous.

Personally speaking although I do have my qualms and issues with how the MV handled certain things plot wise I still enjoy the hell out of it, and the positives outweigh the negatives for me in terms of how it portrayed Godzilla, Kong and the rest of the classic Kaiju. Frankly I find appreciating what those movies imo did right much less tiresome than constantly going on about what they did wrong.

Not even gonna elaborate on the “if you like/don’t like X you are not a real fan” mentality, in a franchise with so many different iterations, tones and approaches I can’t stress enough of much of a counterproductive and pretentious mindset it is to have. Unfortunately inescepable with the nature of what fanbases are, so best to just give it the blind treatment.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Speaking as someone that doesn't like the MonsterVerse that much, please don't let my abd others more negative feelings on it stop you. Like what you like!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Monsterverse was the best thing to happen to this franchise. If it weren’t for 2014 this fandom would still be in stasis lock.

No one thought Godzilla would ever get another chance at Hollywood. We got that.

No one thought we’d get Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan in an American Godzilla film. We got that.

Everyone thought due to the absolute legal chaos that is the Kong license, we’d never see Kong and Godzilla in a film together again. We got that.

Whoever says the Monsterverse is some kind of stain on the franchise, or it’s fans should be looked down upon, isn’t thinking of the bigger picture.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

You guys are right, there were indeed some fans that were like harsh on the others fans, like moge, he was calling everyone it is who likes the current state of the monsterverse a idiot, And I got a frustrated but I didn’t wanna get in trouble, so I left the server for a bit, i’m sorry this was pathetic of me to do

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Nah, wouldn’t go that far but yeah- this is an endeavor really not worth getting emotional or angry about. In every large and diverse enough fan base there will always be more extremely opinionated people and frankly taking their points to heart is fruitless. Just go on and like what you like or dislike what you dislike, more civil discussions are always present.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The Monsterverse was great for Godzilla just like Shin was. Someone of us liked shin, some the MV and somone liked both. There bas been some Godzilla for all of us and new fans alike.

Only people I feel bad for are fans that hated the MV and the Reiwa era from Toho.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:12 pm Nah, wouldn’t go that far but yeah- this is an endeavor really not worth getting emotional or angry about. In every large and diverse enough fan base there will always be more extremely opinionated people and frankly taking their points to heart is fruitless. Just go on and like what you like or dislike what you dislike, more civil discussions are always present.
You’re correct about Conversation it’s not worth getting angry or emotional about it is I don’t really do well with harsh situation, add that to the I take things too personally, And it kind of becomes a mess

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Don't worry about liking the MV, there's nothing wrong with that. Plus, you have every right to enjoy what makes you happy and fills you with imagination.

Now, if everyone's fav Godzilla film was TOMG like it is mine, then I would have to unleash Order 66 :P Ha...ahahaha....ha. Kidding.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:38 pm Don't worry about liking the MV, there's nothing wrong with that. Plus, you have every right to enjoy what makes you happy and fills you with imagination.

Now, if everyone's fav Godzilla film was TOMG like it is mine, then I would have to unleash Order 66 :P Ha...ahahaha....ha. Kidding.
Quietly puts away TOMG Blu-Ray I was about to watch for the 1000th time

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:00 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:38 pm Don't worry about liking the MV, there's nothing wrong with that. Plus, you have every right to enjoy what makes you happy and fills you with imagination.

Quietly puts away TOMG Blu-Ray I was about to watch for the 1000th time
:mugal: I'm watching, always watching.

:lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BehemoththeGreat
Young Farmer

Post by BehemoththeGreat »

So, does anyone have any info on Jessica Henwick's character? I know that her character was supposed to be a reporter.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

What are everyone's thoughts on the licensed music being used in the movie? Personally, while I was indifferent to "Over the Mountain" and that Elvis song, I really liked "Air That I Breathe" as the closing song, I felt it really helped to end the movie on a feel-good note
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you