The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

Post by JAGzilla »

NSZ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:04 pm:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The hell is this crotchety cynical-ass take?
:lol: Eh, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. Everything else in the movie was intimate, small-scale, traditional Predator, and then there's this 'epic' extravaganza where he's mowing down dozens of dumb cannon fodder in over-the-top fashion. Tell me that scene would have felt out of place in a Star Wars or MCU movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:36 pm
NSZ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:04 pm:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The hell is this crotchety cynical-ass take?
:lol: Eh, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. Everything else in the movie was intimate, small-scale, traditional Predator, and then there's this 'epic' extravaganza where he's mowing down dozens of dumb cannon fodder in over-the-top fashion. Tell me that scene would have felt out of place in a Star Wars or MCU movie.
JAG, that sequence is in no way out of place. Feral goes the entire movie advancing from one level to the next.

From snake to wolf to bear to spear & bow-wielding Comanche to firearms-wielding Europeans and then finally to someone with the right brains to kill him.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

All right, that's fair. It was still too much for my liking, though.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Alien and Predator are a big part of my sci-fi upbringing - done podcasts & retrospectives on the films with AvPG, on my website and the likes. Since I'm a 90s kid, my first exposure to both of them was a mag article on AvP - so I'm one of those people who really does like AvP for what it is, the comic book version of those creatures. The Queen in that one is absolutely rad. I'm pretty much fond of all the films of both series -- even Resurrection and Covenant -- with the exception of Prometheus (the absolute bottom line pit of narcissistic, pseudo-intellectual idiocy) and The Predator 2018 (the least said the better).

My go-to film? Easy one...
Last edited by Omegamorph on Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just finished Aliens . Effectively my first viewing; I'd only previously seen it once, circa 2007, and all I remembered was how much Sergeant Johnson ripped off Apone. Johnson even went so far as to reuse some of Apone's lines. :lol:

But yes, absolutely fantastic movie. If those weren't the greatest practical effects ever put to film, they have to be a damn close second place, and I don't know what first would even be. And they hold up perfectly against anything Hollywood is putting out today. It's so sad that this art form has been abandoned.

And the same goes for every other aspect of the movie. It's all top-tier stuff. Easily one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.

Interestingly, I seem to have mentally mixed this up with another movie. I distinctly remember a scene involving the Marines holed up in a building or tunnel with a large blast door. A swarm of aliens (or whatever type of monster they actually were) was approaching, and the Marines set up automated machine gun turrets outside the door to thin the swarm out, which ended up being at least partially successful. Was that Alien 3, maybe?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. It's in the Aliens director's cut.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

The only part that bogged Aliens down for me was the giant extravagant explosive battle(s) between the Xenos and the Marines. It was a good concept in theory, but Disney obviously stuck their greedy, condescending noses in at this point and decided that the drooling masses couldn't possibly get through the movie without being spoonfed their daily dose of Big and Dumb.

And then we had to have that MCU moment where our heroine takes on an entire Xeno hive with one gun and escapes a nuclear explosion, then proceeds to go toe-to-toe against the Xeno queen with just a glorified forklift, throwing her story arc out the window. *sigh* But the rest of the movie was good enough that I'll let that stuff go.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ How on earth does that destroy her character arc? Wasn't her character arc building up to that moment the whole movie?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Spuro wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:28 am ^ How on earth does that destroy her character arc? Wasn't her character arc building up to that moment the whole movie?
I think you may be taking Spirit Ghidorah's comment a bit more seriously than it was meant.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's possible I deserve some of that. :mrgreen: Hey, that was my impression while watching, though.

And while the Predator vs. trappers battle is mostly a matter of taste, I'll go ahead and defend my take on Naru's knife fight. Her goal was to become and be taken seriously as a hunter and warrior, but she was unable to actually kill anything that mattered. She lost the deer, hesitated to shoot the hawk, fell out of the tree while fighting the cougar, was cornered by the bear, blundered into a trap while fleeing the Predator. Defeating the Predator should've been her first victory, her big, triumphant moment. How does pwning a bunch of French guys fit into that? And I'd be glad to be corrected here, if I missed something.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

It seems Roland Emmerich almost made his own version of 'Alien vs. Predator' back in the 90s:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If the Debont Godzilla film had actually got made, Emmerich would've made AVP instead.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I really want to track down a copy of Predator: Concrete Jungle. Can't believe I lost my old copy. I miss that era of AVP, hell I still play AVP Extinction every now and then.

I put like over 100 hours into Predator Hunting Grounds, sure it should've been way more of a better game but honestly I made a lot of good memories playing that during quarantine. I encountered some real Predator fans on there, the kind that just wanted to have fun. Man, imagine a Predator single player experience with an online mode like Red Dead 2.....
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:29 pm I really want to track down a copy of Predator: Concrete Jungle. Can't believe I lost my old copy. I miss that era of AVP, hell I still play AVP Extinction every now and then.

I put like over 100 hours into Predator Hunting Grounds, sure it should've been way more of a better game but honestly I made a lot of good memories playing that during quarantine. I encountered some real Predator fans on there, the kind that just wanted to have fun. Man, imagine a Predator single player experience with an online mode like Red Dead 2.....
I still have mine AND code breaker to give myself infinite energy. I had a lot of good times playing back in 2005. It is a travesty that there isn't a AAA single player Predator game. In competent hands, it could truly be a fantastic game.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Some people's day may have been made, a samurai era Predator film is rumored to be in the works.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:32 am Some people's day may have been made, a samurai era Predator film is rumored to be in the works.
Great! Another opportunity to totally butcher the Predator design again!
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Predator: Hunting Grounds should have a story mode where you play as a Young Blood (of your own design and gender) that goes around the world, hunting various people and animals, slowly gaining more weapons and experience all the while.

And then, in the final level of the game, your Predator goes to a biomechanical H.R. Giger planet where you undergo a rite-of-passage hunt and fight Aliens. (With the original 1979 design, of course; not the shitty Resurrection or Requiem looks.)

And the Aliens aren’t just dispatchable goons like in AVP (2010) or AVP 2; each Alien is a full-fledged boss that your Predator has to fight to win. And if you start the level by managing to kill an Alien with a ranged weapon (plasma caster, smart disc), the AI of every Alien you fight from there on will adapt Alien: Isolation-style to dodge and avoid your ranged attacks.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Would anyone else would like to see what an extended, director's cut of THE PREDATOR ?
On the subject of the story of a Predator flick set in another era. I can't help but think of the story behind of NECA'S 100th Predator figure, the Alpha Predator. I always thought that might an interesting tale to tell in a flick.
Last edited by The One and Only on Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The One and Only wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:52 pm
Would anyone else would like to see what an extended, director's cut of THE PREDATOR ?
No, no I would not lol
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I’m not sure if The Predator warrants a longer cut. It’s a very flawed film from its core, even though it has some decent ideas and some… very questionable ones, to say the very least.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The Feral Predator from PREY as some inevitiabley expected will be getting an action figure from NECA this September.
https://toywiz.com/neca-prey-feral-pred ... e-version/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.