2025 Armageddon - Asylum's DAM! The Return of Mega Shark, Sharknado, Mega Piranha, etc!

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

2025 Armageddon - Asylum's DAM! The Return of Mega Shark, Sharknado, Mega Piranha, etc!

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I gots a big ass grin on my face. Been wanting this forever!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: 2025 Armageddon - Asylum's DAM! The Return of Mega Shark, Sharknado, Mega Piranha, etc!

Post by Gigantis »

Holy crap! Even Mega Python vs. Gatoroid is getting repped! (Wait, is that Gatoroid or Crocosaurus?)

So I guess they all take place in the same universe now. The AMBU. Asylum Mockbuster Cinematic Universe. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: 2025 Armageddon - Asylum's DAM! The Return of Mega Shark, Sharknado, Mega Piranha, etc!

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:59 am Holy crap! Even Mega Python vs. Gatoroid is getting repped! (Wait, is that Gatoroid or Crocosaurus?)

So I guess they all take place in the same universe now. The AMBU. Asylum Mockbuster Cinematic Universe. :lol:
According to the trailer, the movie is "meta", taking place in the "real world", but apparently one where Asylum is known as a big studio and their films are beloved the world over. And some alien force is making them come to life to destroy it. Might be a Pixels type of situation, but with Asylum monsters instead of retro video games.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

No way, a movie with all of the Asylum monsters in one place? I've watched over 20 SyFy originals in the last two months. This is what I've been training for.

It's just too bad that this movie is going to be no different than any of the others. I'm betting that this one will end up being painfully stale and disappointing.
Last edited by Gojira 41mk11 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

So far we got:
- Mega Shark
- Sharknado
- 5-Headed Shark(s)
- Transmorphers
- Atlantic Rim
- Mega Piranha
- Giant Octopus
- Mecha Sharks from Sharknado 6
- Zoombies
- Mega Python
- Gatoroid
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:35 am So far we got:
- Mega Shark
- Sharknado
- 5-Headed Shark(s)
- Transmorphers
- Atlantic Rim
- Mega Piranha
- Giant Octopus
- Mecha Sharks from Sharknado 6
- Zoombies
- Mega Python
- Gatoroid
Where'd you see Transmorphers, or did I just see them and think it was an Antaltic Rim Not Jaeger?

I really hope their 100 foot Big Foot from... Big Foot, the Not Jigers from Jack the Giant Killer, 2010's Moby Dick and the Kollosus from MSvK pop up.

Quote of the Year:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:49 am I really hope their 100 foot Big Foot from... Big Foot (...) pop up.
Seconded here. In addition, give me Dinosauria (have no source on this name but I've heard a lot of people call it this) from Atlantic Rim and the invisible dragon things from Alien Convergence.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Looks like it could be fun.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

From premise alone I remember someoe on Deviantart doing an idea for a similar thing, but with a Final Wars-style bend (Mega Shark vs everymonster else)

Doesn't seem fun. The premise of "Asylum monsters in real world" needs a lot of self awareness to work, snd it doesn't seem like it has any.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Knowing Asylum each monster will get a minute of screen time and barely do anything. Missed opportunity to bring back a bunch of the actors from the included films and have them band together to save the day.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:53 am Knowing Asylum each monster will get a minute of screen time and barely do anything. Missed opportunity to bring back a bunch of the actors from the included films and have them band together to save the day.
I don't know. At least from the trailers, it looks as if Mega Shark and the Not Jaeger are going to have sizeable roles, just basing on what we see. I expect they'll get as much screen time as their own films. Really curious to see how Sharknado does, and if we see Mega Shark get sucked up into it. It'd be something if MS goes rogue and attacks the others, which we do see something of the sorts when it launches a 5-Headed Shark.

Eitherway, I REALLY hope this breathes life into the Mega Shark series. They're bad movies no doubt, but man do I just love them and wish we saw more like vs. Zombie Lobster, vs. Moby Dick, and vs. Big Foot. If I had any idea WTF I was doing, I'd be submitting Mega Shark drafts to Asylum every other day.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:51 amIf I had any idea WTF I was doing, I'd be submitting Mega Shark drafts to Asylum every other day.
Why let that stop you? It clearly hasn't stopped the Asylum! :pelops2:
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

2025 Armageddon is finally on Tubi, so I got a chance to watch it. This movie completely squandered its premise, so I guess it’s on brand for The Asylum, but still. The problem is that the monsters advertised are barely in the movie. Hell, there’s a sizable number of monster who are on the poster who don’t show up here. I’ll put the ranty details under a spoiler in case anyone cares about the purity of their 2025 Armageddon viewing.
Spoiler:
It starts off promising with a scene of Mega Piranha attacking a battleship and Crocosaurus walking around a city, but ultimately they both only get those single scenes before disappearing forever. They’re both killed off-screen in battles we never get a look at. The Mega Boa gets a total of two seconds on screen and then it also vanishes into the void. The majority of its presence is being talked about by the main characters in their bunker, a very common trend with this film.

The main characters talk about the monsters as a substitute for showing them. In the Crocosaurus attack, the characters say “There’s a giant crocodile and shark!”, but Mega Shark is only shown for three seconds brushing against a boat. They don’t even hold the shot long enough to let her go back underwater. The Atlantic Rim robot doesn’t fare much better. It appears off-screen, has a fight with the Colombian military and Mega Piranha off-screen, gets taken down and controlled by one of the main characters off-screen, and then finally appears to knock out a Transmorphers robot and then fall apart. After its initial 10 second fight, it spends an hour of runtime as an unusable pile of scrap. When they finally fix it, it fights a monster chimera (who just kinda came out of nowhere?) only to get its arm torn off and then never be seen again.

Mecha Shark is the most egregious example of this. The characters read off a list of The Asylum’s movies in a bunker, see Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark on the list, and decide that’s what they need to fight back against the invasion. Throughout the rest of the movie, the president will just occasionally say the status of Mecha Shark in throwaway lines. He says that there’s an entire fleet of Mecha Shark under construction, and he’ll say they’re fighting monsters, but that’s it. The Mecha Shark fleet is not shown until the very end, where they’re swimming for a single shot, then get sucked up by the Sharknado and blown up. How climactic, a total of three or four shots for something teased throughout the entire thing. The Giant Octopus also suffers from the same problem as Mecha Shark, but he isn’t lucky enough to even make a single appearance save for a incredibly brief cameo in the climax. Six-Headed Shark gets hyped up when the characters figure out he’s next with their movie list, only to get torn apart by Mega Shark in a 30 second “fight” which accounts for basically all of the latter’s screen time. Six-Headed Shark is effectively gone for the rest of the film, and I hope you weren’t too keen on seeing Mega Shark, because that’s all she does. She eats a creature which is far smaller than herself and that’s it.

Sharknado just forms at the very end because they needed a cool effect, sucks everything up, and then disappears as the commandeered alien mothership send all of the creatures into a big glowing space orb. Despite the copious amounts of exposition found in this movie, nothing that happens in the finale has any explanation. The resolution to this movie is one of the main characters hitting a red button to make all the monsters disappear (hardly something they needed an alien ship for), and then, finally, a bunch of shafted monsters make their grand return. Crocosaurus, Six-Headed Shark, Mega Piranha, and the Giant Octopus all appear (with their old models) for about 5 seconds to fill up the screen, and that’s that.

Basically, 2025 Armageddon is a movie that advertises itself as a big crossover event of all The Asylm’s monsters akin to DAM, but in practice it’s a bunch of repetitive exposition, increasingly unfunny meta jokes, and a stock estranged siblings plot to a background of a bland bunker. They say that naval bases are getting wiped out by Mega Shark, they say they’re launching desperate all-out assaults on monsters across the globe, they say humanity is being forced underground, but the monsters themselves are seldom shown. I think it’s safe to say Final Wars Hedorah has more of a presence than most of these creatures. The only time I bothered to count, Mega Shark, is roughly 48 seconds, and that’s better than most.
Tl;dr: This movie is lame the monsters have barely any presence.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Such a bummer to read that summary. That movie sounded like quite the premise on here but they still fucked up big time.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt I'll be seeing this one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Sounds about on brand for Asylum.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:36 pm Sounds about on brand for Asylum.
The fact that people were actually expecting anything different... Really goes to show that it wasn't just easily confused grandmas keeping this company in business. :P
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Dyrakro wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:10 am Such a bummer to read that summary. That movie sounded like quite the premise on here but they still fucked up big time.
I mean, it’s Asylum, what did you expect?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

They should've called it Armageddon Endgame.

Do you guys think that Mega Shark and Crocosaurus could've survived being submerged in lava much like how Heisei Godzilla has?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Of course, they could, providing Asylum uses them for future projects.