Official "Toho-On-TV" Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Official "Toho-On-TV" Thread

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 pm Wow! The best evidence yet that they're shoring up the entire Toho genre library!
Theyre picking up several 50s, 60s and 70s films directed by Ishiro Honda. So far they haven't left their Showa comfort zone.
I say let 'em do it: we know how weird and difficult Toho is to deal with, and Criterion's longstanding relationship with them makes them best suited to the process which woukd likely break a smaller/newer distributor.
The Showa Godzilla set proved they're not going to treat Criterion any different than any other distributor.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:25 amThe Showa Godzilla set proved they're not going to treat Criterion any different than any other distributor.
You're looking at it reverse: Criterion is established and experienced enough to have the patience to deal with Toho long term. A smaller distributor may (rightly in my opinion) think dealing with Toho for such a large project isn't worth the trouble.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The full lineup.

Godzilla (1954), Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), Rodan (1956), The Mysterians (1957), Varan the Unbelievable (1958), Atragon (1963), Matango (1963), Dogora (1964), Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964), Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965), Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965), The War of the Gargantuas (1966), Destroy All Monsters (1968), All Monsters Attack (1969), Space Amoeba (1970), Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’ll be very curious to hear what kind of sources/transfers they use for the films we’ve yet to see (officially licensed) in anything better than SD on this side of the pacific.

I hope you guys are right and that, just like Godzilla, seeing these on their streaming channel means physical releases are in the pipeline!!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

They'll probably be whatever the current copies are that Toho uses.

As for physical releases. August Ragone mentioned on FB to not get your hopes up just yet.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:56 amAs for physical releases. August Ragone mentioned on FB to not get your hopes up just yet.

It took years to assemble the rights for the Godzilla set, so even if it is planned I imagine it might be years off.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Hearing folks with the Criterion Channel saying the newly added Honda filns have the Janus/Criterion logos at the beginning.

Seems like Criterion is fully trying to be the distributor of the entire Toho genre library. I hope they're able to rescue Gorath and Human Vapor.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:14 am
Seems like Criterion is fully trying to be the distributor of the entire Toho genre library.
People keep saying that but it's just wishful thinking. So far, the only films Criterion seems truly serious about are the Showa films.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ At the screenings of Return of Godzilla and Biollante earlier this year both had Janus/Criterion branding.

Also: the box set model has become a big part of their business. They’re on the hunt for notable directors or series and the first Godzilla set was a success.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:42 am ^ At the screenings of Return of Godzilla and Biollante earlier this year both had Janus/Criterion branding.
Someone elsewhere said that may have been temporary and you can't book those two films anymore.
Also: the box set model has become a big part of their business. They’re on the hunt for notable directors or series and the first Godzilla set was a success.
Outside of a second set with all of Honda's other sci-fi films (which seems doable) there's nothing else I'd care much about if they did.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyberdra_1
Ronin

Post by Cyberdra_1 »

For anyone who has Hulu, a few of the Heisei and Millennium movies are streaming there now, albeit dubbed only I believe.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Marathon on Comet today starting at 3pm EST.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Oh, apparently Godzilla is returning to Svengoolie next month! I believe this is the first time one will air since before criterion/janus acquired and began distributing the Showa films. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! will air on Jan 28. Also in January, Sven will begin airing in a 2.5 hour time slot so that the films can air in their entirety and not have to be edited! That's pretty cool.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Svengoolie will be showing Destroy All Monsters on the 29th of this month!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

DAM on Sven tonight!