Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I think Monster X counts as an original kaiju, it bares a closer resemblance to Seabones from Ultraman than it does to anything from the Godzilla series. Keizer doesn't count because it's just quadrupedal Ghidorah and Salunga doesn't count because he's Gabara with a bit of Baragon. I see those two as "reimaginings" of existing kaiju. And yeah yeah, Monster X is proto-Keizer, but he has a different name and a distinct design. Much cooler, too. Just my two cents.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I think Keizer Ghidorah counts as a new kaiju, in the same way Desghidorah does. It IS new, it's just a derivative of one. Thinking Pokemon here. Not so much a regional form, but like those convergent evolution mons in Scarlet and Violet.

I do admit it is kind of weak, but I think it counts for something. I think Kiryu is almost there, the public at large sees it as Mechagodzilla. For trademark purposes, its marketed as Mechagodzilla, but to some fans (me included), I can't call it Mechagodzilla because Kiryu is their name and is ALMOST their own character.

Kinda like Batman (Terry McGuiness) is still Batman, but is their own character.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kiryu is treated as more living than machine in the duology, and that does set it apart from the pure robot MGs.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MechaGodzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah and Godzilla all have at least one variation that you can argue can stand as their own character.

For Mothra there is Leo(I can't remember if Leo has his own trademark). MechaGodzilla there is Kiryu. Ghidorah has Void Ghidorah from TPE(Death and Keizer are varied enough) than Godzilla has G98 and to a lesser degree Shin Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:55 pm MechaGodzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah and Godzilla all have at least one variation that you can argue can stand as their own character.

For Mothra there is Leo(I can't remember if Leo has his own trademark). MechaGodzilla there is Kiryu. Ghidorah has Void Ghidorah from TPE(Death and Keizer are varied enough) than Godzilla has G98 and to a lesser degree Shin Godzilla.
Leo's trademark is asspull "unique" power ups and the dub team being incredibly confused on its gender.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:54 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:55 pm MechaGodzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah and Godzilla all have at least one variation that you can argue can stand as their own character.

Leo's trademark is asspull "unique" power ups and the dub team being incredibly confused on its gender.
We need a like button on the forum, this is gold.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Agreeing with Miguel, that was kinda funny :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

You know thinking back to about how Godzilla Jr is a trans kaiju on twitter or something to that effect I'm surprised Leo hasn't been used as the LGBTQ kaiju stand in. Leo has a rainbow form and has been giving both male and female pronouns before to my understanding.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rodan has one too, in the form of those oversized pteranodons in Singular Point.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I think Heisei Rodan is a distinct character from the Showa version. It's just nobody here likes that version or any Rodan who isn't "Godzilla's equal" apparently.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 pm I think Heisei Rodan is a distinct character from the Showa version. It's just nobody here likes that version or any Rodan who isn't "Godzilla's equal" apparently.
I mean, I like Millennium Rodan, but that guy absolutely got his ass kicked. :lol:

Heisei Rodan was just always the weakest design wise for me.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Heisei Rodan always came off as a prehistoric brainlet imo. He knew how to do damage but there never seemed to be much going on in that noggin beyond "Protect Brudder and go brrrrr"
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

At least Showa and MV have some semblance of intelligence.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Heisei has a mostly good design, but was just let down by Heisei execution. Power wise, he honestly wasn't bad. He gave Godzilla a fight, damaged Mechagodzilla and took a serious beating before he went down, and then used the last of his strength to give Godzilla a boost. Can't argue with that as a last stand.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

My only issue with Heisei Rodan is his generic design. Character-wise I like him a lot.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:47 pm Heisei has a mostly good design, but was just let down by Heisei execution.
I agree with this. Heisei Rodan looks beautiful in the Pipesorks trilogy games, where he’s far more mobile and flexible. Not to mention larger, and with a smaller head and larger wing spawn to compensate for his increased size.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I know this may be sacrilege because of their CGI and being from an American production but GKOTM has my favorite incarnations of Rodan and ESPECIALLY King Ghidorah. I guess you can make an argument that this was accomplished because of the CGI, but my reason for them being my favorite incarnations is because of how they perfectly captured both Rodan and KG as CHARACTERS and not merely monsters. I think GKOTM is the first American film based on Toho's characters to actually treat them as characters with personalities, emotions, and desires of their own even if those desires are as simple as "fight" or "destroy". Personally I also feel that this KG was the moat frightening he's ever been since GTTHM.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I can understand that take. Summoning a CATEGORY SIX hurricane is scary. I've lived through a category 5, twice in my life. They were scary moments for sure. A six is something I daren't imagine.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GKOTM is easily my fav incarnation of Ghidorah we've ever had. He's everything I've ever wanted from the King of Terror and regardless of what issues I have with the movie his portrayal was a true highlight.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That's something the Monsterverse has been fantastic at, is utilizing the advantages of CGI to load the kaiju down with life and personality. There are any number of lame, soulless CGI monsters out there, but Legendary brought in people who care to animate Godzilla and friends. Whatever issues I have with the actual movies, the monsters are consistently great.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio