Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Maritonic »

Let's not do whatever the hell moogabunga is doing.

Revert back to normal conversations. Do not engage. Thank you.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

I liked the new godzilla mottif it isnt like amazing or long but it is a remade of the BAAAM TAA DA DA DA DAAA from KKvG onwards or at least thats how I've always felt about the new short theme used in this film

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Janjira-York wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:31 am I liked the new godzilla mottif it isnt like amazing or long but it is a remade of the BAAAM TAA DA DA DA DAAA from KKvG onwards or at least thats how I've always felt about the new short theme used in this film
It sounds like "similar enough to be recognizable but legally distinct" music you'd hear in a parody.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Smuggers wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:10 am
Janjira-York wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:31 am I liked the new godzilla mottif it isnt like amazing or long but it is a remade of the BAAAM TAA DA DA DA DAAA from KKvG onwards or at least thats how I've always felt about the new short theme used in this film
It sounds like "similar enough to be recognizable but legally distinct" music you'd hear in a parody.
Kinda, yeah, but it wasn’t bad imo. however, the parts that represented Mechagodzilla were a nice twist on the theme that felt fresher and used in a better way. It was a twisted mirror version of Godzilla’s theme and it worked for me.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Pròiseilvenator
Yojimbo

Post by Pròiseilvenator »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:14 pm Agreed. Someone asked me how I felt leaving the theater after watching it the first time and I remember saying that I had a good time, and that I was very surprised by how Team Kong I was. Godzilla was a big d*ck in the film. Bordering on out of character. Mileage with that may vary. I’ve gone back to thinking that it’s ok in keeping with his previous depiction in these films but I did think initially that it felt like a totally different version of Godzilla.
I know this post is a bit older but I think it's extremely relevant to my own thoughts on the movie.

Disclaimer: I loved both previous MV Godzilla movies as well as Skull Island. I hated this one.

There was definitely an aspect of "Gotta show how great Kong is," but that didn't bother me more than other things. I think Kong is an awesome character, and he deserves some love/time to shine for sure. But he really was the main character here in a way that Godzilla wasn't. As someone who loves to write, I've learned from experience to be wary of when the plot drags characters along, rather than the other way around, and it clicked with me the other night that this is exactly what happened to Godzilla.

A few people have mentioned he was a huge dick in this movie, and the above poster initially felt like it was out of character. I think this is due to the character's poor writing in the movie. He does all of two things in this movie, which are rage and attack. I'd have been fine with those in addition to some other characterization, but it was so strange watching him just indiscriminately destroy stuff after his previous appearances.

I'm not going to spend any time on Godzilla's breath through the hollow earth, because that was just... childish. Even more childish than most of the human plots in this film. I generally liked the plots in the previous movies, but I'm gonna need some more convincing that children and a random goober are capable of infiltrating top secret locations on the other side of the globe... I honestly don't know how this script got OK'ed after the fantastic films we'd previously been gifted.

The other thing that actually bothered me was them taking this opportunity to bring in Mechagodzilla. I figured there'd be an external threat (no way they could actually risk making the fanboys mad either way, right?) that they had to team up for. I'd rather have just seen a decisive winner, but I understand the move. I just don't think this was the time to bring MechaG into the mix, I guess? They set up so well for Mecha Ghidorah, and then dropped a MechaG design that I can't stand (I'm sure some people love it, but it's so rounded and overdesigned as to be indistinct). We're just supposed to believe that the humans who could barely scratch Godzilla or MUTOs, and were basically helpless against Ghidorah's arrival, were suddenly able to make a machine capable of besting the two strongest kaiju on earth 1v1? I just can't. I'm a long time kaiju movie fan, and I guess that's where my suspension of disbelief ends.

I also wasn't as big a fan of the soundtrack this time around. It's hard to follow up the work of Bear McReery, and this one showed that in spades. Music is totally subjective though, so I'm sure some love it.

---

I would like to end on a few good notes though, because the movie did a few things very well!

I loved the first and (third? --- in a city, with Godzilla winning) fights between Godzilla and Kong. The first was in a unique location and used the environment to the fight's benefit. The third indeed looked like a brutal brawl that these kaiju were always destined to have. I don't remember the second fight as much (Kong victory?), but I think I remember it just being a bit too brief. I could be mixing things up, and if I am, I'm sorry!

As a paleontologist/geologist I think the hollow earth is too silly to take seriously, but I really enjoyed some of the lore and history they put into it. The temple location was just freaking cool, and Kong's axe was simply badass. Maybe this should have just been a kong movie, and they could have fought later?

TLDR; I thought the plot of this one was silly and poorly done. Godzilla was dragged by the plot, and Kong has never looked better or been more sympathetic. While the movie set up some cool lore, I think MechaG was wasted here.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Well stated!

I do think GvK is ultimately the weakest of the new films, while also being the most easily accessible for general audiences. I do agree about Kong as well. I love Kong, and he's never been better. Even though Wingard is more of a Godzilla fan, I think he really shines at the Kong stuff. It's not even like he didn't do well with Godzilla....he did...we finally got to see Godzilla act more like the classic Toho version.

It's weird, it's like the parts of this movie are greater than the whole.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:06 am Well stated!

I do think GvK is ultimately the weakest of the new films, while also being the most easily accessible for general audiences. I do agree about Kong as well. I love Kong, and he's never been better. Even though Wingard is more of a Godzilla fan, I think he really shines at the Kong stuff. It's not even like he didn't do well with Godzilla....he did...we finally got to see Godzilla act more like the classic Toho version.

It's weird, it's like the parts of this movie are greater than the whole.
Now that a year has passed...the movie did the things it did well fantastically.

But it felt like it was written by a 10 year old Godzilla fan with no writing skills.

A total disaster of a plot in terms of execution.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It was the only film purposefully written for children. I don’t think it’s poorly made as much as it suffered from COVID things and a constantly changing script.

Combining these elements with the target audience of children and you get a very different sort of film. I like it a lot but depending on the day it can be number two, three or four in my Monsterverse rankings.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:08 am It was the only film purposefully written for children. I don’t think it’s poorly made as much as it suffered from COVID things and a constantly changing script.

Combining these elements with the target audience of children and you get a very different sort of film. I like it a lot but depending on the day it can be number two, three or four in my Monsterverse rankings.
I wouldn't say Godzilla vs Kong was written for children, it was written for people that like modern blockbusters.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:08 am It was the only film purposefully written for children. I don’t think it’s poorly made as much as it suffered from COVID things and a constantly changing script.

Except it's not a kids movie... Why do people keep saying this kind of stuff? It's a sci-fi action film. As are all the Monsterverse movies. This is like when people call Revenge of the Sith a "kids movie" despite the fact that numerous children are slaughtered in that film. A true "childrens' movie" is one specifically made for kids, like Despicable Me. Or hell even most of the Showa movies.

Also Godzilla is not Captain America: he doesn't have morals. On a character alignment chart, he is simply chaotic neutral: a wild animal that will attack anything that poses a threat to him. He is not "good", and he is only a "hero" in the other MV films because he took care of the bigger problem and didn't care enough about humans. Godzilla behaving more antagonistic in this film was awesome. If you want to talk about character assassination, watch the Star Wars sequels in regards to the original cast, or watch Thor: Love and Thunder and witness how Marvel has decided to firmly cement Thor as a clown.
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

“Why do people keep saying this stuff?”

Because the director literally says it in the commentary!!!

It’s not a “children’s movie” in the same way as something like Shrek but in just the same way Star Wars was made for children, with them as the intended audience, so was GvK.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:42 am “Why do people keep saying this stuff?”

Because the director literally says it in the commentary!!!

It’s not a “children’s movie” in the same way as something like Shrek but in just the same way Star Wars was made for children, with them as the intended audience, so was GvK.
I want to ask, does it being a “children’s movie” make it worse in your eyes?
Not even trying to be insulting, genuinely curious.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It doesn’t to me. But I think it’s triggering some people on here.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The majority of Godzilla films are children's films in some ways. If GvsK is one then so is the entire MV and even the mcu. Is Wingard saying it's a kids film or saying it's made for kids to follow along.

To being up the rots example. My Uncle and his wife were having a star wars marathon as they and I are big star wars fans. My three cousins enjoyed the OT and the PT but when it was time for RoTS my aunt thought two of my cousins were old enough for it and they haven't watched that one yet. So yes it can be made for kids to watch, follow along and enjoy without being a kids film.

These are blockbuster films trying to attract the largest audiance most of all.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can anyone give the actual Wingard quote, and full context of it, instead of paraphrasing it? I'm curious to see what he said.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

The exact quote I’m referencing was from a video interview or commentary. I checked and a friend of mine remembers seeing it too.

But he alludes to it in these other two interviews as well:

"He doesn’t want to fail anyone in the crowd, including himself, but most importantly, he wants to land a K.O. for the playground posse.

“I wanted it to feel heightened,” he says. “When kids watch this film, I want them to imagine these as being big toys in a really cool-looking city and they’re playing with them.”"

https://filmschoolrejects.com/godzilla- ... interview/

And this one with Collider

https://collider.com/godzilla-vs-kong-a ... interview/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:53 pm "He doesn’t want to fail anyone in the crowd, including himself, but most importantly, he wants to land a K.O. for the playground posse.

“I wanted it to feel heightened,” he says. “When kids watch this film, I want them to imagine these as being big toys in a really cool-looking city and they’re playing with them.”"

https://filmschoolrejects.com/godzilla- ... interview/

And this one with Collider

https://collider.com/godzilla-vs-kong-a ... interview/
Ah yeah, thanks for the context. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I think that he doesn't say something like, "they're just for kids, stop complaining". Seems like a reasonable thing to say actually, and at the same time, I don't think anyone should be too upset by remarks like that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

An incredibly fun movie, but not the best written. Covid hit this thing hard

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

After witnessing what an incredible antagonist Shun Oguri played in Yakuza 6, i'm still disappointed with how little of a role he had in GvK. He easily could've been a memorable antagonist with a better script, especially piloting Mechagodzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

Agreed. At least the novelization fleshed him out.