Dungeons & Dragons

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Dungeons & Dragons

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well The trailer finally dropped. It looks dumb but at least it looks fun. If nothing else it's a gigantic improvement over the previous attempts.

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

Post by Spuro »

'Dumb but fun' is about all I can ask for, honestly, because that's DND in a nutshell. I'm pleasantly surprised here.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

OK so the new D&D movie looks good.

Which stands out because The Rings of Power looks so bad.

By that I mean the Jeremy Irons movie came out within a year of The Fellowship of The Ring.

kaijufanforever
G-Force Personnel

Post by kaijufanforever »

Looks like a fun film to watch, though this is coming from a guy who knows squat about D&D

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, I gotta say, this looks wild. I saw the trailer this morning, unexpectedly, attached to a YT video before work. And I REALLY wanna see this.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The previous 2 direct to video D&D movies were not good but I give them mad credit for actually sticking to actual spells and creatures from the D&D universe. That first one was pretty much D&D in name only.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So in terms of the vibes it gives off.

This is basically Guardians of the Galaxy but in a fantasy setting?

Looks like it could be actually fun however I just might wait for it until rental or NetFlix.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I've played quite a few D&D games. Oh trust me part of the fun is when a plan falls apart and everyone has to start improvising.
That's kind of what my group liked about the first Guardians of the Galaxy it had very 'group of people are being played by D&D players' and they kind of stumble through an adventure.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Another good title for this movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Fantasy Edition.

:P

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:07 pm Another good title for this movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Fantasy Edition.

:P
You JUST said that two posts above, lol.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Looks like a good time to spend at the cineplex. Hopefully, along with my movie viewing schedule being destroyed this year ,and missing everything I planned to see. I hope to reverse my luck soon on that front. Likewise this flick will reverse the bad luck D&D has had trying to get to the big screen previously. As was pointed out in Cecil of Good Bad Flicks in his review of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS:Wrath of the Dragon God

My ideal D&D flick would be a live action adaptation of the 80's animated series. Which was done quite superbly a few years back as a Brazilian car commercial of all things.
Last edited by The One and Only on Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

The One and Only wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:00 am My ideal D&D flick would be a live action adaptation of the 80's animated series. Which was done quite superbly a few years back as Brazilian car commercial of things.
This was my first time seeing this commercial and I was blown away! I was actually moved to see their joy at finally returning home.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Looks way too goofy for me. I was hoping for something more serious, not like Guardians. Regardless, the footage doesn't look good anyway.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Alright, everyone, I have a very strange request.

If you choose to see this movie, please, please pirate it. Don't give Hasbro a dime for this, if you can avoid it.

https://gizmodo.com/dnd-wizards-of-the- ... 1849950634

To make a very long story short, Hasbro is planning to swing its weight around and pull some legal strings to completely demolish the TTRPG industry by revoking and monopolizing the Open Game License that the industry has built itself on over the past twenty years. Everyone is going to be affected. Large publishing companies, smaller indie developers, virtual table top websites, artists, streamers, musicians, DMs, players, etc. Tens of thousands of people, maybe more than that, will be forced out of business if Hasbro pushes this through.

Spread the word. Don't pay money for this film.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:03 pm Alright, everyone, I have a very strange request.

If you choose to see this movie, please, please pirate it. Don't give Hasbro a dime for this, if you can avoid it.

To make a very long story short, Hasbro is planning to swing its weight around and pull some legal strings to completely demolish the TTRPG industry by revoking and monopolizing the Open Game License that the industry has built itself on over the past twenty years. Everyone is going to be affected. Large publishing companies, smaller indie developers, virtual table top websites, artists, streamers, musicians, DMs, players, etc. Tens of thousands of people, maybe more than that, will be forced out of business if Hasbro pushes this through.

So Hasbro is trying to ruin dnd?

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:53 am
Spuro wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:03 pm Alright, everyone, I have a very strange request.

They and the upper management of WotC are hellbent on ensuring every last dime of money goes into their pocket. They are attempting to replace the current open game license with one where they have absolute control over all 3rd party content and are paid 20-25% royalties of all revenue made over 750K, and also the right to straight up steal and sell anything you make under their new license and not pay you a dime or acknowledge you for it. Any and all systems that ran under the old OGL now either have to comply to WotC/Hasbro's new license and risk having their stuff stolen or just be shut down on a whim if WotC decides it, or close shop and find employment and jobs elsewhere, because Hasbro/WotC upper management are that three year old kid on the playground refusing to let anyone else play with their toys.

Naturally, the DnD community on the internet is in an uproar over this, as are the communities for over a dozen other systems. Lawyers are threatening legal action against Hasbro, and the current sentiment is to either boycott any and all Hasbro/WotC products, or if you don't want to abandon your DnD games fully, pirate the stuff and don't give them any money.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Giratina93 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:11 am
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:53 am

They and the upper management of WotC are hellbent on ensuring every last dime of money goes into their pocket. They are attempting to replace the current open game license with one where they have absolute control over all 3rd party content and are paid 20-25% royalties of all revenue made over 750K, and also the right to straight up steal and sell anything you make under their new license and not pay you a dime or acknowledge you for it. Any and all systems that ran under the old OGL now either have to comply to WotC/Hasbro's new license and risk having their stuff stolen or just be shut down on a whim if WotC decides it, or close shop and find employment and jobs elsewhere, because Hasbro/WotC upper management are that three year old kid on the playground refusing to let anyone else play with their toys.

Naturally, the DnD community on the internet is in an uproar over this, as are the communities for over a dozen other systems. Lawyers are threatening legal action against Hasbro, and the current sentiment is to either boycott any and all Hasbro/WotC products, or if you don't want to abandon your DnD games fully, pirate the stuff and don't give them any money.
Oh I think I have heard stuff about that. Big dnd channels like Critical Role are going to get heavily affected if the no homebrew thing goes into play.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A new trailer has dropped today. Enjoy.

Although, WOTC'S money grab seems to killing what enthusiasm it had from some quarters already.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I'm gonna risk it all saying I actually enjoyed the first movie though I'm not familiar with the overall franchise and it's been 7+ years of having seen it for the last time. Can anyone tell me why the Jeremy Irons flick is so hated?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:03 am I'm gonna risk it all saying I actually enjoyed the first movie though I'm not familiar with the overall franchise and it's been 7+ years of having seen it for the last time. Can anyone tell me why the Jeremy Irons flick is so hated?
I think it boils down to just coming as so low budget, cheap and hammie. It's a goofy movie with some really, REALLY bad CGI. Movie is corny ass fun though. Might have to give a rewatch soon.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?