Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: New Godzilla movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by miguelnuva »

Not the first time Godzilla's family disgraced him. In 1998 his cousin ran around New York using his name for free press and was chased out once the truth was found out.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:42 pm When I read articles like these all I can think about is how much merchandise means to Toho and how badly they want Godzilla to be a lifestyle choice.

Oh yeah, and movies too I guess.
Personally, I'll take modern day Godzilla merchandise prostitution Toho over anal early 2010s conservative "get rid of campy memories" Toho. Old school Toho wouldn't let comic book companies use any Showa Godzilla designs except 54, 62, and 64 because they wanted Godzilla to be taken more serious. The modern campy live action short films of Hedorah and Gigan would never have been made back under old guard Toho.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Eh, I'll take Toho of the past over "No, the American versions never existed, shut up and go buy Godzilla energy drinks" revisionist Toho of today.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

That's the same one though. It's all the same thing. The only difference is that they realized there is money to make from the campy Showa era films.

The truth is they didn't recognize the American cuts either by about the 2010s. I don't think its for "Fuck The American Versions" either. I think Toho is being cheap and risk averse, thinking that there are rights issues with these dubs and don't have the money (cheapasses they are), or the nerve (bullies that they are) to fight this in court. The 56 KOTM movie is still in circulation readily. Which infuriates me with their International Dubs being GONE on the Criterion releases. They COMMISSIONED IT THEMSELVES.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Okay...

A) I don't think the lack of the original dubs is a rights or money thing. It's a control thing. Toho has a vision about how these movies should be viewed.

B) isn't it interesting how the three missing dubs on the Criterion set (and streaming) are on the three films Krakken released back in 2014? Now THAT to me indicates a rights issue.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It probably is a rights issue. But I am still baffled as to how it could be a rights issue, considering Toho commissioned Ted Thomas' group for two of these, and Matthew Oram's for the other. It should be their own. They commissioned it. I've commissioned professionals for pieces of art that were not for private use, but for projects. That's part of the agreement one would think Somehow there's a rights issue there? Who knows. Maybe Uncle Ted is in a bad spot and in need of money.

Who knows whatever rights issues can pop up. Even recently Shin Godzilla had some rights issue when being released here that effected merchandise. For some reason the Monsterarts Shin was not imported to the US, specifically under a rights issue back in 2016. For all we know this new Godzilla movie will also have rights issues being released in the US.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The potential rights issues I'm talking about relates to Krakken licensing the international dubs from Toho and as long as Krakken has them no one else can use them. I could be wrong, but it's a possibility.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:07 pm ......

The potential rights issues I'm talking about relates to Krakken licensing the international dubs from Toho and as long as Krakken has them no one else can use them. I could be wrong, but it's a possibility.
Homie, lemme stop you right here. I am agreeing with your statement here. I am not arguing with you over if its a rights issue.

It is certainly your prerogative be so hostile or passive aggressive or whatever it is you're doing there. But I am going to ask you to stop please? I got no idea why they let you do this without any pushback from moderation.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:48 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:07 pm ......

Homie, lemme stop you right here. I am agreeing with your statement here. I am not arguing with you over if its a rights issue.

It is certainly your prerogative be so hostile or passive aggressive or whatever it is you're doing there. But I am going to ask you to stop please? I got no idea why they let you do this without any pushback from moderation.
I didn't read his post as hostile at all.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I'm sure ellipses are a manner of friendly and substantive communication
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The "......" indicates how confused I am that you kind of completely missed what I was getting at, even if you were agreeing with me.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I'm sure you tell all the ladies that.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:17 pm I'm sure you tell all the ladies that.
Considering I'm married I don't need to.

Also, .........

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:55 pm I'm sure ellipses are a manner of friendly and substantive communication
Are ellipses a new of form of texting passive aggressiveness or something? I've had debates and arguments with Legion1979 before and even I didn't think he was rude.

Anyways back on topic, I could see the dubs being rights issues. I wonder if Sony still has the us rights to Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Doesn't explain the classic media set since I thought classic media was bought out by criterion.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The dubs to Son of Godzilla and Mechagodzilla were on the Criterion set, are used on Comet TV airings and I believe are on the versions of these movies streaming on HBO Max.

The only Toho-produced dubs that are in this weird situation right now are for Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan. And "coincidentally" those were the three films released by Krakken.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:31 pm The dubs to Son of Godzilla and Mechagodzilla were on the Criterion set, are used on Comet TV airings and I believe are on the versions of these movies streaming on HBO Max.

The only Toho-produced dubs that are in this weird situation right now are for Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan. And "coincidentally" those were the three films released by Krakken.
Well, that just shows I haven't inspected my blu rays enough. I still use my sony dvds out of habit when I watch those and other Godzilla movies. I was under the impression that with the exception of Godzilla king of the Monsters 56 and king kong vs Godzilla, all of the criterion blu rays were Japanese language with English subs.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

On the Criterion set Astro Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy all Monsters, Megalon and both Mechagodzilla films all have dubs.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:27 pm On the Criterion set Astro Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy all Monsters, Megalon and both Mechagodzilla films all have dubs.
Thanks for the info. I will check out the blu rays. I haven't watched Megalon in some time and I'm in the mood for a campy entertaining film 😊.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:06 pm Minya disgracing his father’s corpse and taking his money is both hilarious and disturbing.
I quite literally clicked on this thread thinking "Man I wonder what news I can find here...." fully intending to write something constructive....

LSD, you know the admins aren't supposed to share leaks out in the open right? :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm not unable to believe Toho ignores dubs or international cuts because they're being revisionist or cheap, however I also think they just may not eealize there is a market demand for those versions. Look at the anime industry and how vocal the subs over dubs faction of the consumer base is and I wouldn't be surprised if Toho just assumed people were only interested in the original Japanese cuts. Also while they are improving, Toho hasn't exactly been very invested in what the non Japan fandom wants and I'd be surprised if there is any demand for the international cuts and dubs amongst the Japanese fandom.