Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by StardustGenius »

I prefer Heisei Mogera over Heisei Mechagodzilla by a huge deal. Heisei Mogera was Koichi Kawakita's itch for a combining super robot in a Godzilla movie finally scratched. The original concept art for Heisei Mechagodzilla, nowadays known as Combiner Mechagodzilla was THE design choice to go with, before bean counters decided to go with the finalized design.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:14 pm Here's an unpopular opinion: I prefer Moguera to Mechagodzilla overall, with the exception of maybe the Showa MG incarnation. Showa Moguera is a cool and creepy design, that feels like the epitome of a retro alien robot. It's creepy, menancing, and unique. It's not just a robotic doppleganger like Mechani-Kong or Mechagodzilla. Heisei MOUGERA is cooler than Heisei Mechagodzilla. It's got a utilitarian design I like, and I love how it moves around on it's treads. It's much more mobile, and feels like a real and big bulky machine. While the "face" is controversial, so is the Heisei MG, and at least with Moguera you can see some direct reasons behind the choices made to build a combatative robot. I think it's cool that Heisei Moguera can fly through space, and can seperate into two smaller machines with clear intent. I think it's executed better a machine to directly counter Godzilla than MG is. It's just got a unique design for a robot, and I definitely prefer it to Heisei MG, Kiryu, and the MV MG.
I confess that I never much cared for either of the Heisei robots but until now I preferred the appearance of Heisei MG over Heisei MOUGERA . You make some good points about the combat capabilities of Heisei MOUGERA and on reflection the final battle scene in SpaceGodzilla was an improvement over the battle with Heisei MG which always seemed overly stiff to me, especially when compared to the battle scenes from the Showa MG films.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I just can't put Heisei Mogera over MG. The design is more interesting than Mechagodzilla's weird pin-headed roundness, I'll give it that. But Heisei Mechagodzilla methodically kicked Godzilla's ass to the point where, for all intents and purposes, it killed him. That causes MG to leave so much more of an impression. Mogera looks cool and has neat abilities, but at no point is it presented as something that could realistically kill Godzilla or Space Godzilla, so it's a big comedown.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 pm I just can't put Heisei Mogera over MG. The design is more interesting than Mechagodzilla's weird pin-headed roundness, I'll give it that. But Heisei Mechagodzilla methodically kicked Godzilla's ass to the point where, for all intents and purposes, it killed him. That causes MG to leave so much more of an impression. Mogera looks cool and has neat abilities, but at no point is it presented as something that could realistically kill Godzilla or Space Godzilla, so it's a big comedown.
While I agree with you, I think a big issue stems from the fact that MOUGERA never engages with Godzilla directly (for more than a few seconds)and that by Heisei Standards, Spacegodzilla, the monster that Godzilla and Moguera fight is hillariously overpowered. Purportedly, most of MOGUERA's attacks are stronger/upgraded forms of the Heisei MG's. On top of that, the "Spiral Grenade Missiles" (the powerful missiles MOUGERA uses to blow up SG's shoulder cannons) are just a modified version of the G-Crusher strategy. Some of this is based in gobblygook from the guides, so you don't have to take it too seriously, but it would make more sense that MOUGERA is a direct upgrade.

However, we never really see Godzilla vs. MOGUERA which is a shame. MOGUERA just isn't shown to do anything super impressive by virture of being humbled repeatedly by SG.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But of course that COULD have been fixed with better writing, which is something this movie really needed across the board.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

^No kidding... Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla isn't necessarily the worst Godzilla film but I do think it has the worst script of any Godzilla film.* Is that unpopular? Probably not really.

Maybe this is unpopular: Space Godzilla, for all its incredible powers, is possibly the least menacing Godzilla enemy ever, which is a testament to how bad the film is. Kumonga - a giant fucking spider - is vastly more menacing, to go back to SoG for a minute. Hell, Gabara is more menacing and it only exists in a dream! It's honestly impressive that despite displaying such a huge variety of abilities, Space Godzilla never comes across as particularly threatening. It's just a big ugly thing for Godzilla to blast over and over until it blows up. To bring up another "lesser" Godzilla villain, Ebirah exudes more menace in both the scene where it destroys the Yahlen and the scene where it devours the two runaways than Space Godzilla does ever once in the movie. A giant shrimp/lobster with absolutely no special powers is scarier onscreen than an extraterrestrial, telepathic clone of Godzilla, and that's just sad. Lame name aside, I think Spacey has potential, it's just never realized in his mediocre mess of a movie.

*Of any live-action Toho film, that is.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 pm I just can't put Heisei Mogera over MG. The design is more interesting than Mechagodzilla's weird pin-headed roundness, I'll give it that. But Heisei Mechagodzilla methodically kicked Godzilla's ass to the point where, for all intents and purposes, it killed him. That causes MG to leave so much more of an impression. Mogera looks cool and has neat abilities, but at no point is it presented as something that could realistically kill Godzilla or Space Godzilla, so it's a big comedown.
While I agree with you, I think a big issue stems from the fact that MOUGERA never engages with Godzilla directly (for more than a few seconds)and that by Heisei Standards, Spacegodzilla, the monster that Godzilla and Moguera fight is hillariously overpowered. Purportedly, most of MOGUERA's attacks are stronger/upgraded forms of the Heisei MG's. On top of that, the "Spiral Grenade Missiles" (the powerful missiles MOUGERA uses to blow up SG's shoulder cannons) are just a modified version of the G-Crusher strategy. Some of this is based in gobblygook from the guides, so you don't have to take it too seriously, but it would make more sense that MOUGERA is a direct upgrade.

However, we never really see Godzilla vs. MOGUERA which is a shame. MOGUERA just isn't shown to do anything super impressive by virture of being humbled repeatedly by SG.
To be far, if we go based off feats, a single stray shot of the Plasma Laser Canon knocked Godzilla out cold for a short time (granted this was after fighting SpaceGodzilla for a long time) and the eye lasers did make Godzilla react in roaring pain.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 pm It's just a big ugly thing for Godzilla to blast over and over until it blows up.
Yep, you've just about summarized Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla.

Agreed that SG is one of the least menacning monsters, at least relative to what it's supposed to be. I also agree that Kumonga, and Ebirah, are way more menancing.

I think Godzilla vs. SG starts out solid at building up SG, with the warning from the cosmos, the destruction of the spacecraft, and the fight in space with Moguera. Then SG shows up, has an awkward as hell fight with Godzilla, and then just dissapears for no reason. Good build up that just fizzles out. SG is awesome...in all the extended media!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mogera in in a wired place where Toho days they needed a weaker Mech to name if for for SpaceGodzilla and then in film is stated to be an upgrade over Super Mechagodzilla.

As for SpaceG being meancing I have to disagree. He's a Godzilla that can fly he and Destroyah scared the poo at of me as a kid.

Kumonga is an unfair standard as it was a Spider 1 and was going to kill Minya right after killing Kamicuras.

I'd argue Hedorah and Mechagodzilla the only monsters more meancing then that. Maybe 60's Ghidorah?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Yeah, I'm gonna give an unpopular opinion: I never found Hedorah to be all that menacing. It's objectivity a strong foe for Godzilla but I just never got the same impact the way other Godzilla foes have done for me.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 pmMaybe this is unpopular: Space Godzilla, for all its incredible powers, is possibly the least menacing Godzilla enemy ever, which is a testament to how bad the film is. Kumonga - a giant fucking spider - is vastly more menacing, to go back to SoG for a minute. Hell, Gabara is more menacing and it only exists in a dream! It's honestly impressive that despite displaying such a huge variety of abilities, Space Godzilla never comes across as particularly threatening. It's just a big ugly thing for Godzilla to blast over and over until it blows up. To bring up another "lesser" Godzilla villain, Ebirah exudes more menace in both the scene where it destroys the Yahlen and the scene where it devours the two runaways than Space Godzilla does ever once in the movie. A giant shrimp/lobster with absolutely no special powers is scarier onscreen than an extraterrestrial, telepathic clone of Godzilla, and that's just sad. Lame name aside, I think Spacey has potential, it's just never realized in his mediocre mess of a movie.

*Of any live-action Toho film, that is.
Goddamn. I tried a habanero pepper once and had to chug milk until I puked. It wasn't half as spicy as this take.

Every word is true, though! I made a conscious effort to pay attention to the final battle last time I watched GvSG, trying to internalize the details, and most of it had still leaked away by the time the movie ended. Spacegodzilla just doesn't leave any impression on me at all because he's saddled with such a boring, forgettable movie. His design makes for a good toy, though, I'll give him that much. And he has piles of potential to do better.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 pm SG is awesome...in all the extended media!
Yes, he is. Loved him in Godzilla: Save the Earth and he was pretty cool in the IDW comics. I'm pretty convinced that a significant portion of Space Godzilla lovers forget how poorly he's handled in his actual movie and focus on their exaggerated fantasies about how "badass" he is, which are supported by a lot of the extended media.

Added in 59 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:32 am Goddamn. I tried a habanero pepper once and had to chug milk until I puked. It wasn't half as spicy as this take.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Added in 4 minutes 42 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:48 am Yeah, I'm gonna give an unpopular opinion: I never found Hedorah to be all that menacing. It's objectivity a strong foe for Godzilla but I just never got the same impact the way other Godzilla foes have done for me.
Nah bro. Hedorah is the most menacing Godzilla foe, bar none. It's really not even close.

Lunging out of the water at Ken and then ambushing his father? Made me scared to go in the ocean.
Creeping into the club as everyone looks on helplessly? Spooky as hell.
Pulling in the cars stuck in traffic? Still gives me the chills.
Dissolving people into skeletons with toxic smog? True nightmare fuel.
Drowning Godzilla in sludge? A terrifying display of power... and pretty disgusting.

She's a constant menace both to Godzilla and to the human characters on a level that no other kaiju has managed. This is exactly why I immediately gravitated toward Hedorah as a kid. Sure, King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla were cool, but Hedorah was cool and scary.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Yo if you think Ebirah is more menacing than Spacegodzilla, I've got a House Of Torture shirt to sell you. https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1 ... 78/photo/1

Also, everyone on this board horribly misuses the word mediocre. Mediocre means run of the mill and of moderate quality, unimpressive quality.

vs Spacegodzilla is BAD yo.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:57 am Nah bro. Hedorah is the most menacing Godzilla foe, bar none. It's really not even close.

Lunging out of the water at Ken and then ambushing his father? Made me scared to go in the ocean.
Creeping into the club as everyone looks on helplessly? Spooky as hell.
Pulling in the cars stuck in traffic? Still gives me the chills.
Dissolving people into skeletons with toxic smog? True nightmare fuel.
Drowning Godzilla in sludge? A terrifying display of power... and pretty disgusting.
Kaiju don't scare me. I'm scared of all kinds of stupid made-up shit and get rattled by haunted house movies, but kaiju just don't have that effect on me at all. But if there was a kaiju that was going to scare me, it'd be Hedorah. It does my heart good to know the Smog Monster has successfully spooked at least one person. Hedorah is one of the best-realized and effectively portrayed kaiju of them all, and deserves some strong emotional reactions like that.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillandEnthusiest
Ronin

Post by GodzillandEnthusiest »

Godzilla King of the Monsters is absolute dog crap. bland main character, a villain with the dumbest goals ever, the kaiju being obscured by rain and snow, and constant fan service. worst yet, it created a pretty insufferable fan base that makes cringe tribute videos and comics shipping kaiju.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Here's one.

SpaceGodzilla and Heisei King Ghidorah were more menacing and badass than Destoroyah ever was. Only in his future appearances in comics and video games did Destoroyah ever become a badass; in his debut film, he was a total loser that didn't live up to the hype.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I agree that Destoroyah wasn't as badass as it's often made out to be in its debut film. But I disagree that it's even less menacing that Heisei KG and Spacey. As I outlined above, Space Godzilla is about as un-menacing as a powerful kaiju can get. Heisei Ghidorah doesn't fare much better; his feats are very underwhelming in contrast to Showa Ghidorah and MV Ghidorah.

Between its distinctly cruel and aggressive behavior and its ability to continually adapt and take on new forms, Destoroyah is actually fairly menacing in my opinion. I'd even go so far as to call it the most menacing Heisei era Godzilla villain, if only because there's no true competition. To mention the couple of Heisei kaiju baddies I haven't referenced, Biollante is more tragic than scary and Battra is cool but not remotely menacing. Heisei Mechagodzilla is the only real contender.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:09 pm Sato's SOG score is a highlight of the film. Each kaiju has a nice theme, going from cute to scary.

I will say that Ifukube has more memorable scores, but Sato is also good.
Is this an unpopular opinion? I love Son of Godzilla’s score!

My favorite track is the moment of preparation leading up to the first weather control experiment.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Destoroyah's a dick and a huge sadist. Tanks a bunch of blasts that one shot Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla, and pretty wild in his rampage. vs Destoroyah falls short of things, but not in its titular monster. He's a beast. Way more menacing that Spacegodzilla for sure

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 pm ^No kidding... Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla isn't necessarily the worst Godzilla film but I do think it has the worst script of any Godzilla film.* Is that unpopular? Probably not really.
I’m still 100% onboard that it’s actually Godzilla vs King Ghidorah with the worst script for a Godzilla film. By leaps and fucking miles.

Now THAT’S an unpopular opinion around these parts. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.