The G-Fest Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Re: The G-Fest Thread

Post by Beast Blood »

As a single female who doesn't care for relationships, the last thing I would want when going to an event is to be harassed by lonely men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:06 pm Do any girls go to G-Fest? I would love to meet a woman who likes Godzilla and kaiju
One thing I've realized over time is that it's more important to just find someone that's acceptive or mildly curious in your interests. You don't need to find someone that has the exact same interests at you. You're the master of Kaiju and Godzilla and shit. Be happy in your own interests and also be satisfied that YOU know them, not anyone else. I've sort of accepted that I have very specific knowledge about various topics that will eclipse lovers of mine (and they'll eclipse me!) so I don't need anyone to be as obsessed as me as anyone else.

Also, fair warning, showing up to an event with the interest to do bad things is always an omen of failure. :P
Just go to G-Fest or whatever con, make some friends and have fun!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Well that got weird.

G fest is tons of fun. I’ve been a few times over the years and most recently got to take my kids for the first time which was pretty great. My wife (who is definitely not interested in Godzilla) has been a real trooper and tagged along every time I’ve been. Though she did mention after taking the kids that, as they get older and easier to manage, perhaps any future G fests could be a father-sons bonding experience... lol.

Gotta be honest, the deodorant comment last page cracked me up. There can be some interesting aromas waiting in some of the lines... Hopefully I’ve never been a contributing member of that crowd, but with the AC problems and insane heat in 2019, I may well have been...

As someone else mentioned, try to plan your schedule ahead. The way the schedules overlap there’s just no way to see and do everything. But also try to leave some time in your schedule to just wander around. I always discover something unexpected just walking around. Or you might decide you need that extra time to revisit an exhibit or display that you wished you had more time with.

Also be prepared for something to go wrong and screw up your meticulously planned schedule at some point. As others mentioned, just have a good attitude and be ready to have fun and go with the flow.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

What, you guys don't try to pick up women at a convention mainly attended by young guys trying to get good deals on Bandai figures?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Remind me to bring up kaiju speed dating next year when the email soliciting panel ideas goes out
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I mean, the dealers room is a lot of fun, I won’t lie. But if anyone is so focused on it that they forego other parts of the convention, they’re really missing out. The guest panels are incredible opportunities (especially when they have suit actors, directors, special effects guys, and Star actors from your favorite kaiju films!). And there’s so many other fun activities and diversions! I always go to at least one screening at the Pickwick (usually I try to make a few of them because they are almost always fun and memorable. It’s a shame they don’t do 35mm projections anymore though), hit up the model and art displays, and attend a few panels on topics I’m curious about.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Despite my wife getting unsuccesfully hit on at G-Fest I'd say its really very innocent there especially when compared to other conventions. I've seen big breasted cosplayers being followed by weird dudes taking pictures for hours at other cons. My wife is like canofhumdingers wife. She has ZERO interest in this stuff but is very supportive of me and my hobby. Thats probably the best you can hope for in finding a girl out there that likes our hobby. Its pretty rare to find a girl that likes Godzilla. But finding one that will support you and accept it is an easy compromise to make

Added in 13 minutes 1 second:
canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:37 pm I mean, the dealers room is a lot of fun, I won’t lie. But if anyone is so focused on it that they forego other parts of the convention, they’re really missing out. The guest panels are incredible opportunities (especially when they have suit actors, directors, special effects guys, and Star actors from your favorite kaiju films!). And there’s so many other fun activities and diversions! I always go to at least one screening at the Pickwick (usually I try to make a few of them because they are almost always fun and memorable. It’s a shame they don’t do 35mm projections anymore though), hit up the model and art displays, and attend a few panels on topics I’m curious about.
I spent the vast majority of my time at the panels. Ed G and Steve Ryfle had one on Ishiro Honda that I really enjoyed and John Lemay had one on the lost films and that one was really eye opening to me as I hadn't read his book at the time. The dealer's room is fun but I didn't spend a ton of time in there. Funny story this guy was selling some SH Monsterarts at retail prices. At the time Heavy Arms Kiryu was going for like $250-$300 on eBay but this guy was selling for like $95. This kid behind says to his mother very loudly "wow mom look this guy is selling all of these figures at the original prices but he can get a lot more for them!" He said this not once but TWICE. I turned to him and his mom and gave him the ssshhh sign. I think he finally got it when I did that and stopped talking. Sure enough a hour later I went back and the prices were jacked up to eBay prices. Luckily I got the figure at $95. Little bastard almost ruined it though
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

There are at least some vendors who make a point of selling stuff at reasonable prices as opposed to what they could get. I think I got the King Kong Lives DVD for like $16 when it was going for something like $50 online. I mentioned it to the guy and he was like "Yeah, but we didn't pay that much for it, so we don't need to charge that much."
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Beast Blood wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 am As a single female who doesn't care for relationships, the last thing I would want when going to an event is to be harassed by lonely men.
Well, i'm not looking to ask people out on dates. I just want to be friends. And maybe after a while of knowing each other, who knows.

Youmacon has a speed dating event last time i went there.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Anybody else going this year? I've went once, in 2018 with my Father and best friend at the time. We had a lot of fun. I bought the 1964 Godzilla MonsterArts repaint, and the GVKG/GVM Blu Ray. My friend bought a Japanese art book for one of the Godzilla Earth movies if I can remember correctly.
I plan to buy a lot more stuff this year!

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Haven't been before this year, it's pretty nice so far. Some nice deals in the vendor's room, and also some neat panels, like the one about the history and connection between Tokusatsu and pro Wrestling.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Hey, if anyone wants to do like an impromptu Battle Lines Meet up, reach out and let’s plan it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just went through day 1 of G-Fest.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Got some good grabs in the dealers room. Also got my lady into it and she even found some things she really liked (big Ghidorah and Rodan fan). Some really killer cosplays at the costume parade this year.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I got the Mezco Kong (the normal sized one), and had a very fun time. I really liked plaing the old Godzilla video games they had set up. I was really bad at the Dreamcast game.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Today, I had the honour of meeting the Omni Viewer in the flesh!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Man I haven't been since 2010. I'll always remember because we stopped to watch them flming Transformers Dark of the Moon downtown. It was also Sue's 10 anniversary at the Field Museum.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Was gonna put this in Ruined my Day but figured it was better put here. The Pickwick Theater is closing its doors on January 8th.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 pm Was gonna put this in Ruined my Day but figured it was better put here. The Pickwick Theater is closing its doors on January 8th.
Oh, no! What a huge shame. :(
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 pm Was gonna put this in Ruined my Day but figured it was better put here. The Pickwick Theater is closing its doors on January 8th.
That's terrible! What happened?

Some of my best theater experiences were in that theatre during G Fest. Also G2014 too, that was awesome
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you