Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: New Godzilla movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Honestly don't know. Still it's been largely quiet since the initial "leak".
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:31 am Honestly don't know. Still it's been largely quiet since the initial "leak".
Prolly won't get more till we start seeing some merchandise listings. That's when we get the whole "Unknown Kaiju A" and "Unknown Kaiju B" type of stuff that helped fuel the Shin Godzilla "leaks".

I will say, I really hope this is more than a Godzilla origin story/solo film and we get a fight or two. And it stays away from the evolving Godzilla concept.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that this person will be the composer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naoki_Sat%C5%8D

They've composed nearly all the other films by Takashi Yamazaki, and all Toho films. While I haven't listened to Eternal Zero's Soundtrack, Always sunset was filled with good and memorable music.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:57 pm Speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that this person will be the composer:

They've composed nearly all the other films by Takashi Yamazaki, and all Toho films. While I haven't listened to Eternal Zero's Soundtrack, Always sunset was filled with good and memorable music.
I am not familiar with a lot of this but DBSSH has some of the best music of the franchise imo

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:08 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:57 pm Speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that this person will be the composer:

I am not familiar with a lot of this but DBSSH has some of the best music of the franchise imo
Not a Dragon Ball fan but I've heard a bit of the Super Hero music and I can second the excitement.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:17 am
Gigantis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:47 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:17 am......what?
I'm pretty sure he was joking Legion.
Obviously but still....
It was late and I was feeling in a silly mood. Guess my sleep deprived humor didn't land. :oops:
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at one point ages ago, didn't Legendary reach an agreement with Toho to partially finance films on their end? I think I remember this being a thing around the anime trilogy's release or something.
Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is a thing do yall think it could play into this movie's budget or?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Legendary is not involved whatsoever in Toho Godzilla films but the Toho would be more involved in the MonsterVerse and plus some other films.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:36 pm Legendary is not involved whatsoever in Toho Godzilla films but the Toho would be more involved in the MonsterVerse and plus some other films.
Ahhhhhhh gotcha

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

phillipw1954 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:33 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:36 pm Legendary is not involved whatsoever in Toho Godzilla films but the Toho would be more involved in the MonsterVerse and plus some other films.
Ahhhhhhh gotcha
It does bring the question of who's gonna distribute this film hear in the US, Funimation did Shin Godzilla and it seems that several Japanese releases in America have done better than anticipated though granted they were films based on popular anime series stateside so I wonder how Toho's gonna push this film internationally.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont think that's worth worrying about. Toho is going to push the crap out of this thing internationally, because that's how Toho is now. It probably won't get a wide theatrical release, but it will be easy enough to see.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

There was an article I saw on Variety where former Crunchyroll staff got hired by Toho International to make a proper Godzilla e-commerce site.

https://variety.com/2022/biz/asia/godzi ... 235445261/

Not going to think too hard about it, but it's reasonable to guess this is some kind of digital infrastructure investment. Former CR staff that had experience in distributing and marketing anime to larger audience working for Toho now. With two new major movies in the pipeline within the next two years, I don't think it's a coincidence that these two were hired.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

When I read articles like these all I can think about is how much merchandise means to Toho and how badly they want Godzilla to be a lifestyle choice.

Oh yeah, and movies too I guess.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Well we're at end stage capitalism. Movies are expensive to make, merchandise revenue is probably more lucrative than ticket sales.

It's alright, it will probably all be over in a decade or so. Godzilla as a merchandising cow will be the least of our concerns.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:42 pm When I read articles like these all I can think about is how much merchandise means to Toho and how badly they want Godzilla to be a lifestyle choice.

Also the fact that in 20 or so years Japan's population will take a big hit. This isn't a problem exclusive to Toho, but a lot of Japanese toy companies are having difficulty because the Japanese youth population is rapidly shrinking. The only way to increase your funds is to diversify abroad, which is what Toho and many Japanese companies are desperately trying to do.

I'm mixed on my opinion on this: on one hand I'm not really in favor of rampant consumerism, but at the same time I'm hypocritical for buying all this stuff. Godzilla merchandise is really the only thing I spend my extra cash on, and I think most people have a hobby/thing they invest in. For some people it's shoes, others it's trading cars, their car, watches, etc... For me it's Godzilla and I sort of just accept that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:28 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:42 pm When I read articles like these all I can think about is how much merchandise means to Toho and how badly they want Godzilla to be a lifestyle choice.

Also the fact that in 20 or so years Japan's population will take a big hit. This isn't a problem exclusive to Toho, but a lot of Japanese toy companies are having difficulty because the Japanese youth population is rapidly shrinking. The only way to increase your funds is to diversify abroad, which is what Toho and many Japanese companies are desperately trying to do.
Maybe the next solo Godzilla reboot could tackle the issue of Japan's shrinking population. That and they could try to critique late-stage capitalism and its effect on society.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:49 pm Maybe the next solo Godzilla reboot could tackle the issue of Japan's shrinking population.
They should make it a sequel to All Monsters Attack. Ichiro sits at home alone. Instead of being a latchkey kid, Ichiro is riddled with dementia, and to the dismay of his extended family, routinely dissapears from the house and wanders the nearby abandoned factory, once a highpoint of Japanese industrilization. There, he fantasies about Monster Island, and the decrepit elderly monsters that live there:
Godzilla dies of old age. Minya stuffs his father's body in a large refrigirator and continues to cash Godzilla's pension check long after he's deceased. The film ends with Ichiro and Minya drinking one-cup sake and smoking Peace cigarettes, before Ichiro is taken away for vagrancy.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

A Film By David Lynch

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:02 pm They should make it a sequel to All Monsters Attack. Ichiro sits at home alone. Instead of being a latchkey kid, Ichiro is riddled with dementia, and to the dismay of his extended family, routinely dissapears from the house and wanders the nearby abandoned factory, once a highpoint of Japanese industrilization. There, he fantasies about Monster Island, and the decrepit elderly monsters that live there:
Godzilla dies of old age. Minya stuffs his father's body in a large refrigirator and continues to cash Godzilla's pension check long after he's deceased. The film ends with Ichiro and Minya drinking one-cup sake and smoking Peace cigarettes, before Ichiro is taken away for vagrancy.
I would have gone in a different direction. In my imagined sequel, Ichiro’s dementia makes it increasingly harder for him to distinguish reality from fantasy. He continues to have conversations with a fully grown Minya about overcoming the challenges of old age. As the film progresses, it becomes difficult for the audience to determine which elements are real and which are imagined. By the end, Ichiro passes away but in his mind he has taken up permanent residence on Monster Island with his kaiju friends.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Minya disgracing his father’s corpse and taking his money is both hilarious and disturbing.
For Emperor and Empire!