Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by StardustGenius »

LiamNeesons wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 pm Not sure why people are acting like $250 for a 9” figure with die cast, lights and all of those switch outs is a shocking deal breaker. Pretty much falls right in line with the rest of the brand. Anime-Export had early bird preorders for $208.
It lines up with releases of characters like Combattler V, Mazinger, Getter Robo, Gao Gai Gar in this line. I'd say its in line with releases from Soul Of Chogokin. Its more than likely those folks don't know the general toy market outside Godzilla.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I hope they do a 2021 MG like this some day.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah that's just slightly more expensive than the SoC Gypsy Danger was.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I wish they'd reissue the SOC Big O Megadeus and add-ons, but that's not likely. I was debating between Kiryu and the Super7 Mechagodzilla (I know they are different, but for my shelf I just need one) and since they are almost exactly the same size, I hope I can swing the Chogokin, simply so it and my Music Box Godzilla will both be able to light up and blink at each other. Since it's not out till July, if any of my usual places carry preorders, that's plenty of time to save up for what I really WANT rather than compromising.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:42 pm I wish they'd reissue the SOC Big O Megadeus and add-ons, but that's not likely. I was debating between Kiryu and the Super7 Mechagodzilla (I know they are different, but for my shelf I just need one) and since they are almost exactly the same size, I hope I can swing the Chogokin, simply so it and my Music Box Godzilla will both be able to light up and blink at each other. Since it's not out till July, if any of my usual places carry preorders, that's plenty of time to save up for what I really WANT rather than compromising.
There is a MODEROID Big O coming soon. It should be in scale with Monsterarts.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I've never assembled one of their model kits, do you know how hard they are to put together, and how much paint they need?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 pm I've never assembled one of their model kits, do you know how hard they are to put together, and how much paint they need?
It's basically a Gundam kit, but since it's the Big O, it's larger, and thus more expensive. Paint is not necessary to complete the model, and stickers are available. Maybe SOME little glue is needed for some parts. This is usually for parts such as the head, or maybe horns in other types of robots. Folks who like to paint stuff, paint the details (or even the entire kit) themselves.

Basically if you want a ready to play/pose Big O without having to pay TOO MUCH, and it will fit in your Monsterarts shelf, this is the kind of model you want. Adding paint etc, is for modelers who like doing that, but it is not necessary for completion.

EDIT: Looking up, Big O will probably be out of scale with Monsterarts. Comes in at 9 inches. Maybe he'll fit in with Super 7...
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Actually, since my 'centerpiece' Godzilla is the musical light up one, my Kong is NECA Illustrated, and I have a SCV Biolante and Ghidorah 2019 on that shelf, being bigger but 'not really to scale' would work, especially if I can pull off Chogokin Kiryu. Thank you!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Special cor Ghidorah is on sale for 166 at gamestop. Just hot mine. Only 45 today if you use Klanna.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The Articulation Series is reporting an MSRP for Chogokin Kiryu of $319.99. Not HUGELY different from Mecha Ghidorah, but enough to make me question if I really NEED another robot dinosaur looking thing...

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Man, I didn’t realize the Comic-Con Kong figure was widely available now. I preordered it through Premium Bandai when it was announced they had a limited amount available back in July. Their site says they won’t ship until March 2023, yet it’s available now on Amazon. Now Bandai is busting my balls about trying to cancel my preorder, saying it’s a made-to-order item or something and can’t be canceled.

I’m paying about $10 more through Bandai, which isn’t a huge deal, and I’ll be getting the figure eventually anyway. But I feel I’ve missing something here. Like, I wouldn’t have preordered it at all through Bandai if I knew it was eventually getting a wide release. Now I’m stuck in their no-cancellation policy nonsense. This is just on me, right? They’re not screwing me over?
Last edited by Your Boy Leroy on Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:31 am Man, I didn’t realize the Comic-Con Kong figure was widely available now. I preordered it through Premium Bandai when it was announced they had a limited amount available back in July. Their site says they won’t ship until March 2023, yet it’s available now on Amazon. Now Bandai is busting my balls about trying to cancel my preorder, saying it’s a made-to-order item or something and can’t be canceled.
Yeah really funny how Premium Bandai acted like it was exclusive and then it became widely available and even shipped earlier. It’s good for collecting as a whole to make it so available, but I feel snubbed having pre-ordered and now having to wait longer than most to have it in-hand.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Ohhh, so it’s not just me then 😂

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Chogokin Kiryu is up at BBTS! $360. And then this afternoon the heat pump blows out to the tune of about seven thousand bucks...

I may wind up having to improvise a bit.

Last edited by Platypus Prime on Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:38 am Ohhh, so it’s not just me then 😂
Nope. Me too... :|
Size DOES matter!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Gamera ‘99 is up on BBTS (so probably others too). $130. Looks good but not good enough to double dip. Since I repainted the teeth on mine I’ve been perfectly happy with it.

But if you don’t have one, Gamera 3 is a really great Monster arts.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SC Ghidorah 2019 is on Amazon for 180 right now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So now that they're doing an improved Gamera 1999, I'm curious - are there any other past releases that people think could use an upgrade with newly resculpted parts?

For me its Mechagodzilla 1974. The whole figure is actually pretty shrimpy so a completely new version would be most ideal, but I've gotten used to the size by this point... but the head sculpt always looked off to me. I genuinely wouldn't mind double-dipping on a "special color" version that has actual paint and a new head (I'd probably just customize the original into Black Mechagodzilla).

Probably unlikely though when MG 1975 has yet to be done.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

BBTS is selling a "Defective Lootbox" that includes Hedorah, Kong, Ghidorah 2019 SCV, and a few other figures for $350
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/226481
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I had a $20 coupon on Amazon for the SHMA Event Exclusive Kong for some reason. I put my credit card reward points towards it too and ended up paying just $50 for the figure.
Last edited by Your Boy Leroy on Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.