Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by Jaqua92 »

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:41 pm
CyberZilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:01 pm
GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:54 pm

The director of the movie actually said that Godzilla ALONE defeated Ghidorah in Antarctica on Twitter. A simple 1v1, no powerups involved. Godzilla won.

If you've read the novels, you'd know that the KoTM novelization calls Godzilla Ghidorah's tormentor. Plus there's a line that strait up says "even without Mothra's help, Godzilla was still slaughtering Ghidorah". Not winning, not gaining the upper hand. Slaughtering.

And one last thing, Rodan's a pissant in that movie.
Hmm. It really doesn’t come off that way that Ghiddy is losing the Antarctic fight. Godzilla was definitely getting him, but it felt more even than anything when watching it.

And in Boston, even with the power up, Godzilla wasn’t getting enough damage on him, not til he went thermo. he did better than before until Ghidorah ate the generator. There’s a reason they had to distract Ghiddy before the final part of the clash.

Based on observable evidence from the film, this wasn’t as one sided as you posited.

No no no, not the one in the movie. When Ghidorah was originally frozen in ice, Godzilla soloed.

Seriously, if you get a chance, read the novelizations. (They're actually pretty great reads) Idk how to post images here, but I would show you the exact page. It does say Godzilla was finishing off Ghidorah before the one head ate the power grid

Logging in to dispute this.

Usually, if novelization contend contradicts on screen content, it's lesser canon - film takes canonical priority.

The film showed us, clearly, outside of the water, Ghidorah in 2019 outclassed Godzilla.

Godzilla was not slaughtering Ghidorah. An amped Godzilla fought evenly, with a slight advantage vs Ghidorah. Ghidorah casually amped himself, and more or less had Godzilla's life in his hands in less than a few minutes.

Ghidorah was clearly Godzilla's superior at this point in their lives. Godzilla was still king, but without Mothra's intervention, Ghidorah generally would have been able to kill an amped Godzilla. That's what happened.

Ghidorah is the most powerful monster in the MV, and would have destroyed Mechagodzilla too.

As for their non-existent Antarctica fight...all we know is that Godzilla won, and it ended with Ghidorah generally drowning.

I'd imagine their fight was near water and playing tl Godzilla's strengths. We don't know. There's no content in canon other than statement which provides any detail to their fight. All we have for canonical combat is Godzilla needing loads and loads of help to defeat Ghidorah, who found a way to put a nuke amped Godzilla at his mercy.

Ghidorah was out of Godzilla's weight class in that film.
Last edited by Jaqua92 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is the perfect conversation to bring up the r/whowouldwin Feat Hierarchy:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 am (i would have edited my last comment, but it was to late to)
The monsters and stuff in here look great. And they have a good human cast. They just wrote it all wrong here. The family drama is uninteresting and the side characters are either boring or annoying. And Ghidorah got nerfed to hard to feel threatening, it gets more clear how much he was disrespected in the novel.
Agree with most of this; I'll add that Rodan got an even shorter stick than King Ghidorah.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The director says Godzilla won the Antarctica fight, but that doesn't match what we see on-screen. Ghidorah casually dodges Godzilla's strongest base level attack, the atomic ray, and returns fire to put Godzilla on his ass. Ghidorah at this point has the advantage. He could press the attack, but the arrival of the Argo as an irritating distraction interrupts him. He decides, with no input from the grounded Godzilla, that he would prefer to go juice up with the volcano and put himself in an even more advantageous position. That's not a defeat, that's a voluntary forfeit.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

Jaqua92 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:52 pm
GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:41 pm
CyberZilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Hmm. It really doesn’t come off that way that Ghiddy is losing the Antarctic fight. Godzilla was definitely getting him, but it felt more even than anything when watching it.

And in Boston, even with the power up, Godzilla wasn’t getting enough damage on him, not til he went thermo. he did better than before until Ghidorah ate the generator. There’s a reason they had to distract Ghiddy before the final part of the clash.

Based on observable evidence from the film, this wasn’t as one sided as you posited.

No no no, not the one in the movie. When Ghidorah was originally frozen in ice, Godzilla soloed.

Seriously, if you get a chance, read the novelizations. (They're actually pretty great reads) Idk how to post images here, but I would show you the exact page. It does say Godzilla was finishing off Ghidorah before the one head ate the power grid

Logging in to dispute this.

Usually, if novelization contend contradicts on screen content, it's lesser canon - film takes canonical priority.

The film showed us, clearly, outside of the water, Ghidorah in 2019 outclassed Godzilla.

Godzilla was not slaughtering Ghidorah. An amped Godzilla fought evenly, with a slight advantage vs Ghidorah. Ghidorah casually amped himself, and more or less had Godzilla's life in his hands in less than a few minutes.

Ghidorah was clearly Godzilla's superior at this point in their lives. Godzilla was still king, but without Mothra's intervention, Ghidorah generally would have been able to kill an amped Godzilla. That's what happened.

Ghidorah is the most powerful monster in the MV, and would have destroyed Mechagodzilla too.

As for their non-existent Antarctica fight...all we know is that Godzilla won, and it ended with Ghidorah generally drowning.

I'd imagine their fight was near water and playing tl Godzilla's strengths. We don't know. There's no content in canon other than statement which provides any detail to their fight. All we have for canonical combat is Godzilla needing loads and loads of help to defeat Ghidorah, who found a way to put a nuke amped Godzilla at his mercy.

Ghidorah was out of Godzilla's weight class in that film.
If I remember correctly, Michael said that Ghidorah was shot out of the air and was trapped beneath the ice by Godzilla, kinda like in FW. That one small guidebook that came with a Shin Godzilla statue also states the same thing.

I would argue against the novelization being a lesser canon. In a lot of media, they provide the most details. Think Hunger Games. The books explain why some of the characters are afraid to go I to the sewers in the 3rd book, but the movie version doesn't explain it.
I at least personally view the novels on the same level of canon due to a lot of media I read and watch having more detailed books. I can get why others wouldn't feel the same way.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:14 pm The director says Godzilla won the Antarctica fight, but that doesn't match what we see on-screen. Ghidorah casually dodges Godzilla's strongest base level attack, the atomic ray, and returns fire to put Godzilla on his ass. Ghidorah at this point has the advantage. He could press the attack, but the arrival of the Argo as an irritating distraction interrupts him. He decides, with no input from the grounded Godzilla, that he would prefer to go juice up with the volcano and put himself in an even more advantageous position. That's not a defeat, that's a voluntary forfeit.
Not that Antarctica fight. That was a tie cause of Monarch interference like you said.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

I'm not gonna keep posting about this very much, I normally try to avoid arguments.
But from what I've seen, base Godzilla and Ghidorah are equals (as supported by the previously mentioned guidebook and Micheal). Amped Godzilla is superior to Ghidorah (as shown in the novelization and in how Ghidorah didn't lay very many hits in the fight on screen). And amped Ghidorah beats Godzilla. (Why are there so many amps in KoTM?)

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Is it just me or does this Behemoth creature at the end here look kinda familiar?
Hi!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:14 pm Is it just me or does this Behemoth creature at the end here look kinda familiar?
If I was Legendary I'd be getting my lawyers on standby, but that's just me lol

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:29 pm
Gotschiller wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:14 pm Is it just me or does this Behemoth creature at the end here look kinda familiar?
If I was Legendary I'd be getting my lawyers on standby, but that's just me lol

If it was just the design, I wouldn't think much of it, but with the title....hmmm. Yeah, the resemblance is pretty striking. I checked some of Behemoth's art and even the hands match. We'll have to see more of this.

Any chance this might actually be official and connected to the MV, but just isn't being advertised as such?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I still love a lot more of this movie than most, except for that one time, but in retrospect I do think more and more often it was a mistake to center the film around Madison specifically, and that focusing on Mark and Emma as a couple in itself would have been smarter, taking seriously a relationship between two adults dealing with their grief differently. Could have also formed a stronger parallel with 2014.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Kongqueror
Ronin

Post by Kongqueror »

JVM wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:10 am I still love a lot more of this movie than most, except for that one time, but in retrospect I do think more and more often it was a mistake to center the film around Madison specifically, and that focusing on Mark and Emma as a couple in itself would have been smarter, taking seriously a relationship between two adults dealing with their grief differently. Could have also formed a stronger parallel with 2014.
Mark was the focus moreso than Maddie.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Damn, can't believe this movie is 4 years old already.
4 years later, I'd say it's a respectable 7/10, B-tier movie. Definitely has some pretty low lows like some of the humor, the oxygen destroyer, the villain plot and the overuse of weather effects and color palates, but its highs are pretty astronomical. Gave us the best Ghidorah since Showa, a couple decent characters to balance out the duds, an utter MASTERPIECE of a musical score, some fascinating worldbuilding, great updates to the classic Toho pantheon, (mostly) pretty cool easter eggs, some cool new Titans and it's the first American Godzilla movie that 100% embraces that it's a Godzilla movie. Not quite in my top 10 but definitely in my top 15.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Wed May 31, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Four years since this movie let me down more painfully than any ever has (at least until JW: Dominion became a thing).
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Four years since one of the most unforgettable theatrical experiences of my life. My opinion on the film is infinitely sour today, but there's no way in hell a movie is ever going to make me feel the way this one did at opening.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

When you really love this movie but everybody still keeps talking about how trash it is, and you still can’t understand the sheer hatred for it:

Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Four years later it’s still divisive. Oh well. Art is subjective.

This one still remains one of my favorites to revisit. As an experience, it’s awesome, and I’ll never forget the times I saw it in theaters. It’ll always put a smile on my face when I turn it on for a rewatch, flaws and all.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I know the majority of people have either loved this movie from the beginning, OR, they liked/loved it initially and have soured on it.

But is there anyone else like me who were initially like warm on it but have grown to love it with time?

It’s now firmly in my Top Five G films. I adore it.

I just wish the leaks and trailers hadn’t hyped me up in a way that was impossible for the finished film to deliver on. It’s probably my biggest movie going regret of my life that I was robbed of that absolutely amazing first experience that so many of you had.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:29 pm I know the majority of people have either loved this movie from the beginning, OR, they liked/loved it initially and have soured on it.

But is there anyone else like me who were initially like warm on it but have grown to love it with time?

It’s now firmly in my Top Five G films. I adore it.

I just wish the leaks and trailers hadn’t hyped me up in a way that was impossible for the finished film to deliver on. It’s probably my biggest movie going regret of my life that I was robbed of that absolutely amazing first experience that so many of you had.
I'm kinda on the same boat, especially after GvK failed to really follow through on a lot of potential plot points this set up, and Up From The Depths is in the same boat as you. I also have some friends that were critical of it at first but they've warmed up to it over time.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I love seeing and hearing this :).

And right on, Up From the Depths is a good example of this!