Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Executive Hamster
G-Grasper
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:12 am
Location: Jacksonville
Contact:

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Executive Hamster »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am
...that's just how I would have broken them down.....
Why? Why would you have broken them down that way? Why would you have thought that was a better idea then just giving them actual separate names?
Image
Ave Satanas!
Member of the Satanic Temple
I'm not gonna say anything productive....I'm just gonna tell you the Heisei series is better.
My collection: https://www.instagram.com/executive.hamster/

User avatar
miguelnuva
Justiriser
Posts: 16762
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:46 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am
...that's just how I would have broken them down.....
Why? Why would you have broken them down that way? Why would you have thought that was a better idea then just giving them actual separate names?
Because they all took place in the Heisei era. The same way We only have Showa and Heisei Ultraman and how Gamera the Brave is a Heisei Gamera film.

I also didn't say it was better I said that's what I would have done but Toho has already created names thus no need to fix what isn't broke.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

User avatar
xenotactics
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:25 am

Gamera Rebirth

Post by xenotactics »

Is there already a board/thread for this that I'm not seeing?

User avatar
Voyager
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7210
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: On a boat

Re: Gamera Rebirth

Post by Voyager »

xenotactics wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:59 pm Is there already a board/thread for this that I'm not seeing?
It’s in the Gamera board.
I’m just a Hunka Hunka Burning Love, ahhh!

When things go wrong, don’t go with them.

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5789
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am Shin and the anime films are Heisei 3(3rd series in the heisei era.)
Reiwa era starts with Godzilla 2023
Does this mean Return of Godzilla is Showa?

Legion1979
Sazer
Posts: 13660
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Legion1979 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:45 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am Shin and the anime films are Heisei 3(3rd series in the heisei era.)
Reiwa era starts with Godzilla 2023
Does this mean Return of Godzilla is Showa?
It was made in the Japanese Showa era but it's part of the Heisei film series, which I think is the more important category.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Justiriser
Posts: 16762
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by miguelnuva »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:45 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am Shin and the anime films are Heisei 3(3rd series in the heisei era.)
Reiwa era starts with Godzilla 2023
Does this mean Return of Godzilla is Showa?
ROG is apart of the heisei series. My fan made names are only that because Godzilla had 2 additional heisei series before the Reiwa era but as I've said before Toho has their own names for their movies.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

User avatar
king_ghidorah
G-Grasper
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by king_ghidorah »

Seeing as how the new Bandai figures drop in April and June I’ll guess that the anime drops in April or May

User avatar
xenotactics
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by xenotactics »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 am Seeing as how the new Bandai figures drop in April and June I’ll guess that the anime drops in April or May
But is it an anime? I thought it was looking more likely to be live action?

User avatar
king_ghidorah
G-Grasper
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by king_ghidorah »

Definitely anime

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by UltramanGoji »

xenotactics wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 am
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 am Seeing as how the new Bandai figures drop in April and June I’ll guess that the anime drops in April or May
But is it an anime? I thought it was looking more likely to be live action?
It's animated.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Keizer
Posts: 9285
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:35 pm
xenotactics wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 am
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 am Seeing as how the new Bandai figures drop in April and June I’ll guess that the anime drops in April or May
But is it an anime? I thought it was looking more likely to be live action?
It's animated.
Source?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:41 pm Source?
Image
Image

User avatar
xenotactics
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by xenotactics »

Well, I this could be quite good news (to those of us for which it is news, anyway). Gamera's being battle-ready and heroic kaiju with a special affinity for secret weapons (the elbow blade reveal, the plasma cannon, and plasma fist) would probably lend itself well to the medium.

Speaking of the elbow blade & plasma cannon, I've always wondered if those shades of Guyver were intentional.

Also good news is that if this is anime, that perhaps leaves the door open for Kaneko to get a shot at creating whatever it was that he had in mind. His coming out in support of this project could also have been a bit of a tease, like "hey, I've got some ideas for more Gamera as well."

User avatar
LegendZilla
Keizer
Posts: 9285
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by LegendZilla »

xenotactics wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:00 am Speaking of the elbow blade & plasma cannon, I've always wondered if those shades of Guyver were intentional.
Both are owned by Kadokawa after all.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xenotactics
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by xenotactics »

Apparently, Kaneko had wanted to include the elbow blades in the GotU, and Kadokawa objected, so he settled for a scene where the blade is produced as a "secret weapon." One of the really interesting things about the Kaneko trilogy is how Gamera seems to be continuously evolving in appearance as well as developing (or revealing) new weapons.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Keizer
Posts: 9285
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by LegendZilla »

xenotactics wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:59 pm Apparently, Kaneko had wanted to include the elbow blades in the GotU, and Kadokawa objected, so he settled for a scene where the blade is produced as a "secret weapon." One of the really interesting things about the Kaneko trilogy is how Gamera seems to be continuously evolving in appearance as well as developing (or revealing) new weapons.
So Heisei Gamera is essentially Shin Gamera.

User avatar
Executive Hamster
G-Grasper
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:12 am
Location: Jacksonville
Contact:

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Executive Hamster »

No? Not really, at all?
Image
Ave Satanas!
Member of the Satanic Temple
I'm not gonna say anything productive....I'm just gonna tell you the Heisei series is better.
My collection: https://www.instagram.com/executive.hamster/

User avatar
Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:18 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Janjira-York »

theme song or riot

User avatar
xenotactics
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by xenotactics »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:05 pm
xenotactics wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:59 pm Apparently, Kaneko had wanted to include the elbow blades in the GotU, and Kadokawa objected, so he settled for a scene where the blade is produced as a "secret weapon." One of the really interesting things about the Kaneko trilogy is how Gamera seems to be continuously evolving in appearance as well as developing (or revealing) new weapons.
So Heisei Gamera is essentially Shin Gamera.
I wouldn't say that. I feel like there's a sense that something apocalyptic is building and that Gamera is equipped to change shape in order to combat it. It seems a bit like he doesn't even realize that he has some of these weapons at his disposal until some sort of reflex takes over.

The Revenge of Iris Gamera's design actually seems kind of parallel to a male salmon during spawning. He's gotten more powerful, he's developed like a beak, and his elbow blades evolve to face forward. It's like his body is responding to something atmospheric or instinctual and changing so that he's strong enough to face it. I hope that they'll take inspiration from some of Kaneko's ideas, specifically, as they're depicting Gamera's abilities and design(s) in this new thing.

Post Reply