Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:55 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:39 pm Third act and Post-League story changed my perspective on the game entirely, from a pretty generic simulator to a genuine experience with tons of emotion in there. Definitely the new favorite of modern Pokémon. I haven’t been much of a fan since Diamond and Pearl. Pokémon Sword was decent but the climax fizzled the experience.

This game made me feel like I was watching the anime again.
That’s exactly how I felt. I’m doing to postgame to now.

Did you do any of the school at all?

Also Jnavs, this won’t be a spoiler for you, but the evolution
Spoiler:
of the dolphin is cool.
Honestly no I didn't do any of the school stuff, when it was introduced alongside the three separate journeys I was just itching to get out and explore the open world. Recently I was thinking I might go back and actually experience the classes once I've done everything else in post.

Also,
Spoiler:
Do you mean Donphan the elephant pokemon with the paradox form or Finizen the new actual dolphin pokemon who transforms into a superhero :lol: :lol:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah the
Spoiler:
dolphin

A lot of Pokémon actually seem to based on a lot of tokkattsu stuff. I’m pretty sure Lowkix (is that it’s name) is based off of Kamen Rider. Likewise, the pseudo legendary is basically Godzilla lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:10 pm Yeah the
Spoiler:
dolphin

A lot of Pokémon actually seem to based on a lot of tokkattsu stuff. I’m pretty sure Lowkix (is that it’s name) is based off of Kamen Rider. Likewise, the pseudo legendary is basically Godzilla lol.
That pokemon evolution cracked me up when i saw it, it's so silly you can't help but love it.

I agree, I've also heard Lowkix is based off of Kamen Rider, I really wanted to use it on my initial playthrough but we all know how well bug-types fare in Pokemon games. It's also Psychic, but these days Psychic pokemon get wiped by like half of the new types.

Needless to say I spent countless hours trying to get an Adamant nature Frigibax, because I needed a perfect nature version of Pokemon's Godzilla lol. I also find it really fascinating that they went with what seems like Showa Minya for first form, Heisei Baby Godzilla for second form, and.. Godzilla of some kind for the final form.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:10 pm Yeah the
Spoiler:
dolphin

Honestly it does look a lot like KR. I already named Cyclizar “Kamen Rider” because of the green and the bike motif, but might need to go back and name one of my Lokix after a Rider as well.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Time will tell if it has the same replay value as Sword & Shield (read: if it will get a DLC) but based purely on the main story, this has been the best Pokémon game since Gen 5, hands-down. I'm not one of those obnoxious fans who hates every new game, either; I enjoyed most of the Gen 6-8 games but I had problems with all of them. Scarlet wasn't perfect but it innovated some features that were hurtin' for innovatin', it introduced some great new designs/moves/abilities and it managed to be challenging. The last time I struggled with a main-game NPC fight in Pokémon was Ghetsis in Black & White! Most of the late-game battles forced me to get strategic in this one.
Spoiler:
Special shout-out to Paradox Pokémon, they're all amazing!
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm Time will tell if it has the same replay value as Sword & Shield (read: if it will get a DLC) but based purely on the main story, this has been the best Pokémon game since Gen 5, hands-down. I'm not one of those obnoxious fans who hates every new game, either; I enjoyed most of the Gen 6-8 games but I had problems with all of them. Scarlet wasn't perfect but it innovated some features that were hurtin' for innovatin', it introduced some great new designs/moves/abilities and it managed to be challenging. The last time I struggled with a main-game NPC fight in Pokémon was Ghetsis in Black & White! Most of the late-game battles forced me to get strategic in this one.
Spoiler:
Special shout-out to Paradox Pokémon, they're all amazing!
Pretty much in agreement with you here.

One thing I mean to say to Jnavs, is that while the school stuff is tedious, especially if you do it post-game, it provides a lot of really interesting flavor text and completion to all the school. stuff. The classes provide nice rewards early on (but again tedious mid/to late game), and it's a fun and small change of context taking actual tests. Works well as a tutorial for some of the new mechanics as well.

To discuss spoilers (I'm assuming you've done everything):
Spoiler:
I liked that the main plot wasn't just "save the world", or "stop an evil team". There were elements of a major threat (if all these Paradox Pokemon escape Area Zero it will be a big problem), but it managed to use emotion, and interesting ideas ahead of that which was far more compelling. I liked how the game built up Nemora, Arven, and Penny as distinct characters with various motivations and interests, and it all clicked together in the finale where you venture down into Area Zero. I liked all the little back and forth as you ventured down into a mysterious place, fighting strong and weird pokemon as a group, before big reveleations. I thought throughout my entire playthrough "isn't it weird that we haven't met the Pokemon Professor yet?", and the few lines of dialogue we got through the AI on the Rotom phone while upgrading Koraidon/Miraidon, were simple enough to buy that "maybe they'll just make meeting them special". Arven having a strained relationship with their parents further added intrigue, and in the end it all made sense. Having an actual death in a pokemon game, added a lot of weight to the whole thing. On top of that, it's interesting how most of the game is a vertical climb, with the Mountain Peak, while Area Zero is a distinct descent.

Btw, the story has a lot of visual and thematic similarties to Annhilation, particularly the film adaptation. That had "Area X", an expanding shimmering place, where animals changed and turned into monsters+dopplegangers. I think it's a neat setting overall, especially for a Pokemon game.

I agree that the final NPC fight with the AI was really difficult, and it felt really special. The AI is the only trainer to use Paradox Pokemon, and the way they used a Masterball with them made it feel extra special. I agree the Paradox pokemon are awesome, and I like that unlike evolutions, it doesn't replace the original (like will people still use Primeape with Annihilape around?). I like Donphan, but now I can choose between Donphan or Great Tusk/Iron Treads. Likewise, the same goes for Tyranitar, and pretty much all the Paradox Pokemon. Similar to the Ultrabeasts, it also provides a lot of intrigue to where they came from. With Sun and Moon, we didn't see where they originiated, and Ultra Sun/Moon, while not perfect, showed a few bizarro dimensions where these pokemon lived, and I loved it (especially the Guzzlord area). I hope that in the DLC, we'll get a glimpse of where they are coming from.

Speaking of NPC stuff, now I'm going to complain. I feel like the game, with all it's new Pokemon, and story content, definitely feels really filling. As in, I feel like I had a good time of evolving and raising Pokemon, having fun Pokemon fights against various traines for a story, and exploration. However, it feels noticeable, if you dig in the game, that some things are being foreshadowed/sorely missing, and I wish they were just in the base game. It's the type of thing that the hype makes it dissapointing to find out you can't do it yet, and makes you wonder about the future.

They are:

-A Third Legendary (the Chamelon): I haven't looked at leaks, and this is based off of what you can find in game. However, in the Scarlet Book, which you can read the full version in the avademy, has a page discussing "the -isk Pokemon", which is a weird illustration, and a weird text about a pokemon that is covered in weird colors/crystals and sort of shifts into the background and looks like a disk. The AI/Professor, warns that "opening the door to the Zero Lab" will release a strong Pokemon", and sure enough when you do a bunch of Paradox Pokemon come running out. However, I assumed/thought, that it would be that third legendary, some sort of antagonistic force, perhaps the Pokemon that wounded Arven's Mabostiff, and wiped out all the research labs, and is making the crystals. I thought that after I beat the AI/Koraidon, that an invisbile giant chameoleon would reveal itself to have been on the sparkling shimmering walls, but alas that never happened. That felt dissapointing for it to hint at it in game, and then not happen. Even after the Academy Ace stuff, I thought that would be the perfect moment to have Arven approach you, and say that something still bothered him about Area Zero, and that you'd have to fight some Titan Paradox Pokemon that have escaped into the overworld, then go back to Area Zero, and fight the third Legendary. That never happened, and while my imagination is running wild here, I want to see more.

-Regional Forms:
Not counting Wugtrio/Toedscruel, there's only two regional forms: Tauros and Wooper. That's weird. I always prefer new pokemon, and maybe they thought that the Paradox forms+the covergent forms, filled this role, but it's still a bit strange. I could see them introducing a few new regional variants in a DLC (alongside a few new Paradox Pokemon).

-The Chinese Pokemon:
Another big mystery are the ruinious pokemon. There seems to be some implication that there will be some "final leader" of them, some sort of dragon(?) based on some of the descriptions in their Pokedex. Ms. Raifort is incredibly suspcious, and I'm wondering if they'll do something big with her.

-That upperight "northeast" portion of the map/battle facilities
Not sure if anyone noticed this, but there's an upperight corner of the map that you can't go into/visit. It's crossed out, similar to the way that Area Zero is. I honestly thought because it's so obvious, that that section of the map would unlock upon completing the main game. I thought that would be where some battle facilities/battle frontier would be found, and I was sad that there wasn't. Speaking of, the lack of battle facilities is dissapointing, especially in the basegame. While not everything needs to be the Gen 3/4 Battle Frontier, having even a Battle Tower, and tying a fun challenge to it, adds a lot of replaybility. It lets you construct a well-rounded 3 pokemon team, and have a challenge outside of leveling or other things. It's also a little more high stakes, and takes time. It's something that gives me the bulk of challenge, and raising my pokemon to the max (evs, good natures etc...) and I'm sad all of it is sorely missing.

-An expansion of the Ocean
For Koraidon/Miraidon being able to surf on water, there's surprsingly little reason to enter the water and go surfing. The Ocean only has a few small islands, with surprsingly no town/village out on the water. While Casseroyal Lake is big, that's pretty much the extent of your big surfing section. I'm imagining that the map will expand outwards, and you'll be able to surf pretty far out. There's the Canary Islands, and Morocco (not an Island, but maybe you could surf there), so it would make sense)

-The Ex-Staff/Bullies:
Not sure how serious Pokemon wants to get into bullying as an issue, and I get why they didn't show it, but I'm surprised we never get to see the bullies and how a little vague all the TeamStar thing is. I know that they're all supposed to be pathetic, but it was weird that they made a big deal about staff leaving/getting fired+bullies never being seen. Maybe up north, there will be a "bad academy", where the bullies gathered? Or another "evil school" formed from the ex-teachers? If I recall, Harrington (the only ex-staff member you meet), seems fine, but also alludes to a former staff member who sort of screwed up and it led to a big falling out. Maybe have a more traditional dungeon filled with trainers?

-Hassel's family:
Minor point, but Hassel, the Elite Four Member's sidequest involves him telling an unseen dragon tamer that he won't return to his family and lead them, even though his uncle or someone is supposedly ill. It might be nothing, but It would be curious to see what is going on there as a minor point.

Pokemon games, surprsingly leave a lot up to interpretation, and a lot of unanaswered questions. I don't expect half of these these questions to be answered, or have as much content as I'd hope. Pokemon Sword and Shield, as their base game, were alright and had a lot I loved, but also a lot I thought were lackluster. However, with the DLC, they felt like really big and complete Pokemon games. I already like Scarlet and Violet's main story mode way more than SW/SH, so I really hope it can do a lot to finish things.
Overall, really good, but some things are sorely missing. Right now I'm attempting to get all the new mons and complete my pokedex.

If anyone wants to help me out, and also wants me to help them out, let me know here.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Still been having a good time with Scarlet, that being said I've been playing it emulated and got a boxed copy enroute. Got some ideas to improve Switch performance when the time comes.

Almost done with the Titan story line and have been enjoying that a fair bit.
Here's my team on PC.
Gone with this set to match with an OC idea.

And here's my planned team for Console. Black was my last Pokémon game for years before getting back in with Sword and Shield which are now my favourites in the series. And pleased to see Scarlet and Violet continue with the quality of life additions.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Yep, I've played the whole game. In reply to some of your comments:
Spoiler:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pm I liked that the main plot wasn't just "save the world", or "stop an evil team".
I agree about the story being improved. It had some actual emotional weight and spent more time developing its characters, which was very refreshing for a series that's been so "cut and paste." They've been trying to subvert the "evil team" stereotype since Gen 7 but I think this is the first game to do it well with "villains" who turn out to be misunderstood kids that just want to be themselves.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pm-An expansion of the Ocean
Absolutely agree, I tried to explore the sea all of once and got bored in 10 minutes after realizing there just ain't much out there. Here's hoping we'll get a Battle Frontier across the sea...
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pm-The Ex-Staff/Bullies
I also suspected the bullies and/or complicit staff members would come into play at some point and was disappointed when they didn't. That lack of payoff felt like a letdown, especially since I saw the "Penny is Cassiopoeia" twist coming immediately.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pmPokemon Sword and Shield, as their base game, were alright and had a lot I loved, but also a lot I thought were lackluster. However, with the DLC, they felt like really big and complete Pokemon games. I already like Scarlet and Violet's main story mode way more than SW/SH, so I really hope it can do a lot to finish things.
Agree on all of this. The SwSh DLC massively expanded the replay value and if ScarVi DLC does the same, they might just be my favorite Pokémon games.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pmOverall, really good, but some things are sorely missing. Right now I'm attempting to get all the new mons and complete my pokedex.

If anyone wants to help me out, and also wants me to help them out, let me know here.
I'd be game to do some trading and battling. You can PM me your friend code if you want.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Another thing I thought was cool, was how well the Paldea Pokemon represent Spain. While past generations have tried to keep the Pokemon sort of like where the original Pokemon may originate from, Paldea examplifies it.

For example:
Dolphins are relatively common in Southern Spain.
Marmots (which the Pawmi line is based on are also common).
Birds make up a substantial portion of Spain's fauna. At first, I was surprised how many new "bird" Pokemon were introduced, and how you can basically find a ridiculous amount of birds in the region, but it made a lot of sense after reading that.
Chamelons and other lizards are also relatively common (explaining the legendaries, Cylizard, and a few others).
Olives (nuff said)
Iberian Swine (with Lechonk)
Both dogs in game are based on the Catalian Sheepdog to some extent.
The Lokix are based on grasshoppers which are evidently common in spain as well.
Spoiler:
Tauros is based off a bull, a "friendly" way of referencing bullfighting/Spanish bulls.
Many dancing Pokemon that rpresent Flamenco dancing (the Quaxly line, Oricorio)
Braxicalibur is based on Spinosaurus/some other dinos, which were first discovered as fossils in Spain
There's still some outliers, like what's going on with the
Spoiler:
sushi pokemon
, but overall, it's really fascinating to learn about a different geographical locations fauna through Pokemon. Not saying it's some super educational thing, but it adds a lot to me personally for the region. Really well-done.

Now I just want a region based on Italy!

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Glad someone else got some Annihilation vibes from this game as well.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Beat the final story yesterday.

Best in a really long time and suprisingly well written for Pokémon. The music was really good too.

Edit: With context this is even funnier.
Last edited by SUPERTOHOREMIX on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:18 pm Yep, I've played the whole game. In reply to some of your comments:
Spoiler:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pm I liked that the main plot wasn't just "save the world", or "stop an evil team".
I agree about the story being improved. It had some actual emotional weight and spent more time developing its characters, which was very refreshing for a series that's been so "cut and paste." They've been trying to subvert the "evil team" stereotype since Gen 7 but I think this is the first game to do it well with "villains" who turn out to be misunderstood kids that just want to be themselves.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pm-An expansion of the Ocean
Absolutely agree, I tried to explore the sea all of once and got bored in 10 minutes after realizing there just ain't much out there. Here's hoping we'll get a Battle Frontier across the sea...
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pm-The Ex-Staff/Bullies
I also suspected the bullies and/or complicit staff members would come into play at some point and was disappointed when they didn't. That lack of payoff felt like a letdown, especially since I saw the "Penny is Cassiopoeia" twist coming immediately.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pmPokemon Sword and Shield, as their base game, were alright and had a lot I loved, but also a lot I thought were lackluster. However, with the DLC, they felt like really big and complete Pokemon games. I already like Scarlet and Violet's main story mode way more than SW/SH, so I really hope it can do a lot to finish things.
Agree on all of this. The SwSh DLC massively expanded the replay value and if ScarVi DLC does the same, they might just be my favorite Pokémon games.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pmOverall, really good, but some things are sorely missing. Right now I'm attempting to get all the new mons and complete my pokedex.

I'd be game to do some trading and battling. You can PM me your friend code if you want.
Same here! Definitely need some fellow friends into Pokémon!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Scarlet and Violet is the most unpolished Pokemon game I have ever played.

Scarlet and Violet IS THE MOST FUN POKEMON GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

There are reasons to complete the three main stories, but there is no one forcing you to go through all the routes a certain way. When they meant complete freedom, they meant it. I keep getting sidetracked because I keep exploring. Sometimes I run into larger scarier Pokemon I have no business challenging at the moment, and that in of itself is quite a thrill. Reminds me of Legends Arceus for sure.

More of this please Game Freak. In terms of the mons designs, I like them all a whole lot with the exception of the Pawmot line. Tho I find Pawmot to be quite a strong Pokemon. Designs, etc, are all subjective. This is why I ignore folks who talk about the designs being lazy/good/etc. That kind of stuff is always subjective.

The core elements of the game are excellent. Framerates and graphics can always be patched. A broken gameplay element? Very unlikely. Also, I applaud the continuation of Nintendo/Game Freak's policy to make entry into competitive Pokemon even easier. Bottle Caps can be used at Level 50! Nature changing mints are not hidden behind Battle Points Paywall. They are expensive BUT YOU CAN BUY THEM WITH MONEY!!! Evolution items generally are more easily available. Player customization is great too! Hairstyles for everyone!

But also why did they continue this TM bullcrap? Gen 5 started a real cool system where TMs are not single use. That sucks.

Anyway, I love this game a bunch.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:45 am Bottle Caps can be used at Level 50!
Wait, what?!? Brb, gotta go buy a shit ton of bottle caps for my teams...

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Bottle Caps are expensive as hell. 20,000 Poke Dollars, but at least you don't need to count on chance, or Battle Facilities to get one. Egg moves are also easier to get now. Building on the last game, where someone who knows the move can teach it to another party member during a picnic.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

These quality of life improvements are amazing. It's going to make competitive battling a breeze. I do not miss the days where training up one competitive team would take 10+ hours of hard, tedious work.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Let's not even get into how many DAYS it can take to even get the perfect IV Shiny Pokemon.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

I officially love how egg raising is handled in Gen 9. The picnic mechanic makes the process faster and more fruitful.
Got my team up and running alot quicker as a result.

Especially soo early to add. I hope they carry this over into future games.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

SUPERTOHOREMIX wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:34 pm I officially love how egg raising is handled in Gen 9. The picnic mechanic makes the process faster and more fruitful.
Got my team up and running alot quicker as a result.

Especially soo early to add. I hope they carry this over into future games.
Honestly the new egg mechanics have been nice. I’ll sink my teeth into the more later on, but it wasn’t hard for me to get the hang of it when I tested it.
Also: one of the coolest new features is transferring egg moves between Pokémon just by having them in the picnic together and keeping a move slot available. That’s how I got belly drum on my Cetitan without needing to breed another. Very helpful if you need to save some time/would rather use a Pokémon you already bonded with.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I was confused and thought the egg stuff was tedious, but it's literally just "put down your switch for a bit and check every 5 or so minutes". What I like too is that you can get a multiple amount of eggs at once. It's great and really quick when you're doing other things.