Gigantis the Fire Monster - 1.85:1 Theatrical Reconstruction

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Gigantis the Fire Monster - 1.85:1 Theatrical Reconstruction

Post by Space Hunter M »

"What you are looking at gentlemen, is the formation of the world, as science has been able to reconstruct it for you..."

For the foreseeable future, it looks like Gigantis is never going to get better treatment on home video than a dated video master made in the late-80s, so I've taken restoration matters into my own hands. Gigantis, like every one of its Academy shot contemporaries, was matted to the 1.85:1 aspect for theatrical distribution in the late 1950s, and the title and credits are clearly blocked for the format. Working over the afternoon, I have about and hour and five minutes in the can already.

It's been cobbled together with footage from the 2009 Splendid DVD, the Classic Media 2006 DVD, and soon hopefully, an SP mode recording of the original title card. Video is synched to audio from Classic Media DVD. All reel change induced missing frames mimicked, as no other audio source is currently available for me to work with. Edited with Sony Vegas 10.0, a transparent version of the Classic Media video track above the main video serving as a guide for ultra-precise placement of shots and frames. Footage not found in the Japanese cut will revert to the CM DVD, asymmetrically pillarboxed to 1.66:1, and the shots not found on the German DVD will be patched with footage from the 2008 HV broadcast of the Japanese cut. Japanese portion of the CM DVD currently serving as placeholder. Future updates may include (please take "may" extremely lightly) all U.S. exclusive footage sourced from a new 16mm telecine, should such an event ever come to fruition. Will be issued after or around the same time my Japanese version restoration is completed. An open matte Academy version will also be available at a later date.

In short, the best possible quality version of this cut available outside of a hypothetical new full length 35mm scan of this bizarre, hysterical chapter in Godzilla's history.

This reconstruction will soon be available on select torrent sites you may inquire about via PM.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Gigantis the Fire Monster - 1.85:1 Theatrical Reconstruc

Post by MaxRebo320 »

"This is good. This is good."
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

MaxRebo320 wrote:"This is good. This is good."
couldnt have said it better myself
Resized Image

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Gonna render and stream this as soon as I get the LP/SP mode Gigantis title and the Teenagers From Outer Space DVD.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Space Hunter M wrote:Gonna render and stream this as soon as I get the LP/SP mode Gigantis title and the Teenagers From Outer Space DVD.
Sounds great, I can't wait to see the American version in its original aspect ratio. I'll probably order a DVD in the near future, I want to have a permanent copy.

It's awesome that we have fans like SpaceHunterM who put more effort into preserving Toho movies than Toho does. Especially for neglected titles like 'Gigantis', which has always had a rough master.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

A variety of screenshots from the latest render: http://imgur.com/a/FUGjh#0

cheshire22
Ronin

Re: Gigantis the Fire Monster - 1.85:1 Theatrical Reconstruction

Post by cheshire22 »

Is this available?
Resized Image

Insert this side into recorder ^ Do not touch the tape inside

70sMonsterKid
Ronin

Post by 70sMonsterKid »

Would love to get this as well.
Any chance it's available?

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

No news about it ?

BlakeRL
Ronin

Post by BlakeRL »

Space Hunter M wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 pm This reconstruction will soon be available on select torrent sites you may inquire about via PM.
Hi Space Hunter M

I tried to PM you but do not have authorization to view member lists or profiles apparently ((Dialogue Popup: You are not authorised to view the member list or profiles.)) but I desire to obtain a copy of this Gigantis the Fire Monster 1.85:1 U.S. Theatrical Reconstruction render if possible and if it has been completed.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or guidance on how/where to obtain this and thank you for your time and effort in creating this project!

Sincerely,
BlakeRL

Godzilla@1
Ronin

Post by Godzilla@1 »

I would like to obtain a copy of Gigantis the Fire Monster restoration that you did Space Hunter M. I love when hardcore fans restore Godzilla or any movies on their own. Please message me.

BlakeRL
Ronin

Post by BlakeRL »

Godzilla@1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:41 am I would like to obtain a copy of Gigantis the Fire Monster restoration that you did Space Hunter M. I love when hardcore fans restore Godzilla or any movies on their own. Please message me.
Hi Godzilla@1

Have you by chance been able to find this reconstruction?

Thanks in advance

Godzilla@1
Ronin

Post by Godzilla@1 »

No unfortunately I wasn't. I really want this reconstruction because it's a great Godzilla movie.

BlakeRL
Ronin

Post by BlakeRL »

Godzilla@1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:33 pm No unfortunately I wasn't. I really want this reconstruction because it's a great Godzilla movie.
Hi Godzilla@1

Still trying to locate this and if/when I ever do I will let you know!

Godzilla@1
Ronin

Post by Godzilla@1 »

BlakeRL wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:56 pm
Godzilla@1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:33 pm No unfortunately I wasn't. I really want this reconstruction because it's a great Godzilla movie.
Hi Godzilla@1

Still trying to locate this and if/when I ever do I will let you know!
Thank you. Please contact me when you locate this great movie.