A Reiwa Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars - Who and How?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

A Reiwa Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars - Who and How?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Watching Final Wars before reaching the Reiwa era in my annual Nov. Godzilla-thon got me into thinking what a Reiwa era Destroy Monsters/Final Wars-type of movie could be like, now that Toho has gone away with classic suits, props and miniature work for the most part. As for who, I'd imagine the main players would return again. Godzilla, Mothra, Anguirus, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah would be in for sure no doubt. I've always wanted to see MechaGodzilla in one of these types of all-star casts, let alone teaming up with the likes of Ghidorah against the Earth kaiju.

I really don't know how serious/goofy it should be. I'd say a less goofy than GFW, but maybe a bit more than DAM if that makes any sense.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Voyager
Keizer

Re: A Reiwa Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars - Who and How?

Post by Voyager »

Space Monster vs Earth Monster War

King Ghidorah, MG, Orga, Gigan, Megalon, Monster X, Moguera, etc, vs Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, Baragon, Gorosaurus, Varan, Manda,etc
For Emperor and Empire!

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

just make it about shin bs goo adaptiong powers, ultima p´hysics nonsesne and earth jsut being a juggernaut or something VS movie

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GFW meets GMK meets Shin Godzilla. Godzilla is an unstoppable evil force and all of the other monsters are guardian monsters, that's what's popping into my mind as the closest thing I can imagine to a battle royale monster film in this era.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Voyager wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:25 pm Space Monster vs Earth Monster War

King Ghidorah, MG, Orga, Gigan, Megalon, Monster X, Moguera, etc, vs Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, Baragon, Gorosaurus, Varan, Manda,etc
Of the ideas presented, I like this one the best. Make it with a light hearted but sincere tone that plays it straight and I think it would be a real winner. Make it so, Toho!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Reiwa era has been all over the place. One live action movie. Another live action movie that doesn't come out for another year. An anime movie trilogy. A anime TV show. This entire era is all over the place. It hasn't earned a Destroy all Monsters style blowout yet.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Agreed.

When the time does come, though, I want to see a multi-monster free for all battle. Ten or twelve+ monsters, everyone vs. everyone. Total chaos. We get things like that in the comics, but it would be something fresh and exciting for a movie to attempt.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I think such a film would be best split into 2 parts.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

A recreation of Bagan vs Everyone: Fallout.

Something along those lines is what I’d want to see.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:09 pm ^I think such a film would be best split into 2 parts.
Why?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:20 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:09 pm ^I think such a film would be best split into 2 parts.
Why?
Give each kaiju more time to shine and more time to flesh out the human characters. Just can't cram everything into one anymore.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

GOD
VS
ZILLA
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's my roster for a potential Reiwa-era DAM/GFW affair :

1. Godzilla
2. Anguirus.
3. Rodan
4. Varan
5. Mothra
6. Manda
7. King Ghidorah
7. Baragon
8. Gorosaurus
9. Kumonga
10. Jet Jaguar
11. Megalon
12. MechaGodzilla
13. Titanosaurus
14. King Kong
15. Offspring of Godzilla

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Can we please be realistic for a second? Like I said earlier, a DAM-style film isn't something the Reiwa era has earned yet. It's an era that doesn't even know what it wants to be.

Shit, what would a DAM style film in this era even look like? Is that something Toho could ever pull off right now? People are getting so far ahead of themselves with this thought exercise it's kind of pointless

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:32 pm Can we please be realistic for a second? Like I said earlier, a DAM-style film isn't something the Reiwa era has earned yet. It's an era that doesn't even know what it wants to be.

Shit, what would a DAM style film in this era even look like? Is that something Toho could ever pull off right now? People are getting so far ahead of themselves with this thought exercise it's kind of pointless
The subject of the topic is how and who, not being realistic. Tranquilo. Personally, I'd like to see Kazuhiro Nakagawa do something. His work on the megazord battles in recent sentai, Gigan Attacks, and Ultraman make me think they would do amazing things with a big budget.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Final Wars was a standalone film with no setup, so there is a precedent for this. Toho can make any movie they choose to at any time. Nothing has to be 'earned', although building it up and making an event out of it would perhaps be the smart way to go.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

At least GFW was coming off a series that already had 5 consecutive yearly releases AND was meant not only to end that era but also to celebrate Godzilla's 50th anniversary.

Again, the Reiwa era is such a hodge podge right now and there's been no consistency to the types of films coming out or what their medium even is. "Let's make a Destroy all Monsters remake!" should absolutely not be where Tohos head is right now.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:26 am "Let's make a Destroy all Monsters remake!" should absolutely not be where Tohos head is right now.
We agree on this, but from Toho's perspective, DAM would be the most efficient way to maximize merchandise opportunities. It'll happen soon, I think.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I dunno what soon is, but I think any kind of mega monster crossover battle happening, would probably first be done at a Godzilla Fest short. I would not be surprised if the next few years has new kaiju suits being crowd funded for the annual shorts, assuming its something they will keep doing.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:49 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:26 am "Let's make a Destroy all Monsters remake!" should absolutely not be where Tohos head is right now.
We agree on this, but from Toho's perspective, DAM would be the most efficient way to maximize merchandise opportunities. It'll happen soon, I think.
They haven't even figured out what they want Godzilla to be these days. It would be foolish of them to jump into something as large in scope as a DAM remake during an era that hasn't proven that its something Toho can handle.