Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by o.supreme »

Fermix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:44 pmDid they do these? That's news to me.
Well, there is this auciton on eBay, and I've seen others like it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265977744145?e ... SwBpFjX-TE

Is there a market for fake ReAction figures? It looks pretty official to me.

Here is an image of the back:

I'd love to know if these were actually made, and if so where to obtain them

Aso just found this Youtube video. I guess they came out in January 2019. Almost 4 years ago. Would they be impossible to find now?

Last edited by o.supreme on Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:08 pm
Fermix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:44 pmDid they do these? That's news to me.
-snip-
Huh, yeah you're right. Given that they aren't even listed as a license on their site anymore, I imagine they will be hard to track down.

As of November 11th, Ultimates Wave 1 entered the tooling stage according to their status page. This is an iterative step alongside pre-production samples, as any tweaks will require new tooling to be made.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:44 am Greetings All,

My apologies as this is slightly off topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask. In doing research about the various ReAction figures (shortly after I got the basic Shogun Godzilla). I see pics online S7 did a Mazinger Z Shogun assortment with Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, and a few of the Mechanical Beasts. But... I cant find those two anywhere online, not even on super7 website, or eBay (I found one of the Mechanical Beasts, but I only want Mazinger/ Great Mazinger).

Anyone know where I can get these by chance?

As for Godzilla, I'm glad I got in on these when I did. I got the 1st assortment (all 6) pre-ordered from Amazon, should be delivered in January, and I just pre-ordered the 2nd assortment on BBTS. I did see the G54 ReAction at Target a couple of weeks ago, but they only had that one, and it was $20, whereas my online pre-order is only $15, so I can wait. ....

If we even just get 2 assortments per year, that will be plenty to look forward to for several years to come.
Super7 put out one assortment of five(?) figures in 2017, and had shown prototypes of eight figures total, but either lost or gave up the license after the first wave bowed. The ones that managed to come out are ridiculously expensive to acquire now. I had been looking forward to acquiring Dragun, but it never came out.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Thank you for the confirmation. Yeah i wonder if there was an issue using the old Shogun Warriors names. I noticed in the ones that actually came out they changed the naming from "Mazinga" ( old Shogun Warriors name) To the more proper "Mazinger Z" and "Great Mazinger. Oh well...To bad. A whole line of Super Robot ReActions would look so cool on display next to the Godzilla line.

Hopefully they keep the Godzilla/Toho license for a long enough time to go deep into the Classic Kaiju roster.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Being new to the Super7 Ultimates line with their upcoming Godzilla figures, I thought I would pick up two older Super7 releases to get a sense of what to expect once the Toho stuff starts to land. With the recent Entertainment Earth sales, I was able to get the Red Rage Toxic Avenger and GITD Mutagen Man for a really good price. I wanted to share some thoughts about how my impressions of these figures would shape my expectations for the Godzilla figures. I'm gonna spoiler wrap my comments:
Spoiler:
Material and Sculpt
Out of the package, the material of these figures feels comparable to that of Marvel Legends and other Hasbro collector lines. They are also quite large, and I imagine the Toho Ultimates are going to be way bigger than most people expect. They feel solid and robust, the kind of toy you can throw in a bucket and bring to the beach, as opposed to a more delicate collectible. The sculpts look good, but I don't know how well they'll be able to capture the shark-like (for lack of a better term) texture that Godzilla typically has in the same way that lines like SHMA and NECA can.

Articulation
Super7 has stated for the record multiple times that they value sculpt over articulation. Mutagen Man is a good example of this, as his left arm barely bends at the elbow. Like, maybe 20 degrees at most. This is done to preserve the detail of the metal gauntlet that he has. This really makes me question if a figure like Super Mechagodzilla will be able to bend his arms enough for his Shock Anchors to be depicted properly (they do in the solicitation photos, so hopefully!) I can also see the Heisei suits having limited leg articulation given how big the thighs on the suits typically are. Toxie articulates well, so I would expect their humanoid figures (like Jet Jaguar or MMPR) will move pretty well. The tightness of the joints feels right, though I know that some of their more recent figures have suffered in this area. I believe the Toho figures are being produced in their new factory in Vietnam, so fingers crossed on that.

Paint
The paintwork on both of these guys is awesome. The metallic gold and green on Mutagen Man look great and makes me very hopeful for Supermechagodzilla, Ghidorah, and other shinier monsters to come out of the line. The UV-reactive paint on Toxie is incredibly cool, as he turns blood-red in the sun relatively quickly. This could make for some really fun variants in the Toho line(e.g., a G89 variant with UV-reactive paint that looks like Biollante puked on him when you leave him out in the sun). The paint is done well around the entire figures, which is more than can be said for some of Hasbro's figures that only look complete from the front.

Accessories
This is where these two figures go their separate ways. Toxie's accessories are done well, with grenades that clip onto his bandolier, a buddy that can peg onto his shoulder, and two weapons that he can hold fairly easily. Mutagen Man has a bunch of small accessories that he can't do anything with, and a gun that doesn't sit well in his hand. It leads me to believe that the Destoroyah crabs will be too small for any significant detail to come through, and makes me question how well the Garuda will sit on Mechagodzilla's back.

Packaging
I did want to address the packaging that these guys arrived in. Each figure arrives in a brown mailer containing a plastic bag containing the boxed figure with a slipcover. Where Hasbro has opted for environmentally-friendlier packaging, Super7 has a comedic amount of packaging. When you finally get to the window box, the figures are displayed nicely with details and bios on the package. If you plan to display your figures in the box, you won't be disappointed. The packages for the Toho figures will be undoubtedly gigantic, especially in the case of Destoroyah.
On a different note, Super7 has announced a black and gold variant of their Voltron figure. More interestingly, though, is that they mention they will slowly be releasing black and gold variants of other robots in the Ultimates line. I don't know how agreeable Toho will be to this, but a black and gold Super Mechagodzilla would make for a cool convention exclusive.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Sagezilla08
Young Farmer

Post by Sagezilla08 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:46 am
Nathus214 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:42 am Godzilla 1955 please... All I've ever wanted...
Just watched that film in its entirety about 3 days ago, I liked it. Godzilla was a lot creepier than his uh, dead sibling. I think it was something in his jerky motions and giant eyes.

But yeah even though I have the MMB set, I'd love an updated modern articulated figure.
The movement of the suits in the movie always stood out to me. A 1955 figure would be lovely.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

After receiving my HIYA 2019 figure, it made me way more excited for this. An inch added to the Hiya, in comparison to the SHMA and NECA, gave this guy so much more size. He's wider, he's bigger, I have to really gray him when I pick him up. I'm stoked to see the size on these Ultimates! Godzilla figures. Looking at my Standard Bandai Burning Godzilla, I hope these guys are comparable. I understand that the Bandai figure is 9" while the Ultimates! will be closer to 8 but, still, the amount of plastic needed will be great!

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

They're gonna be fucking massive. After getting a "normal" size U! figure in hand and then seeing the comparison shots from various interviews, folks are gonna have to make a lot of room on their shelves.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Oh man! I can't wait!!

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Has anyone seen the poster version of the 1954 ReAction figure in the wild at Target? I can't get it online either.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

NickMockoviak wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:35 pm Has anyone seen the poster version of the 1954 ReAction figure in the wild at Target? I can't get it online either.
Seen it several times in the wild, incl. just yesterday

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

G1985 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:09 pm
NickMockoviak wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:35 pm Has anyone seen the poster version of the 1954 ReAction figure in the wild at Target? I can't get it online either.
Which part of the country? I'm in New Jersey, and nothing. (our Targets usually aren't the best with stock)
Last edited by NickMockoviak on Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

NickMockoviak wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:50 pm
G1985 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:09 pm
Which part of the country? I'm in New Jersey, and nothing. (our Targets usually aren't the best with stock)
Northern Colorado. And our Target stores are usually pretty bad with restocking the collectors section.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

As of Decembe 19th, Ultimates Wave 2 and the Shogun Wave are approved to enter tooling, where Wave 1 has been for at least a month now.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Interesting. Where did you see this info? Twitter? FB?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:45 am Interesting. Where did you see this info? Twitter? FB?
Super7 keeps a Pre-Order Status Page that they update every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes the updates are behind, however, as Silverhawks wave 1 and 2 have been in production since last month but the status page still said that wave 2 was in tooling up until last week.

Generally, the steps are 3D engineering, tooling, pre-production samples, production, left the factory (or on the water), then shipping to customers.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Part of me wonders if these figures will be delayed AGAIN, considering we are only at stage 2.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:57 am Part of me wonders if these figures will be delayed AGAIN, considering we are only at stage 2.
If I were to guess, Waves 1 and 2 will land together in July, the expected window for Wave 2. Over the past year and a bit, lines like Animaniacs, Simpsons, GI Joe, and Silverhawks have all been held up and in customers' hands around 16 months following announcement. Lines with similar engineering/molds tend to be landing on top of one another, and combine that with the fact that there are only two figures per wave I think it makes sense to see them around July.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I miss the days when you didn't see a photo of a toy or action figure until there was some physical version of it to show off. Then at that point the wait for the release wasn't all that long.

Now with digital mock-ups companies can show off an upcoming item LONG before the production process even starts. The benefit is a long period of hype but the downside is just....why? Why are you making your customers wait that long? In Super 7's case not a thing is coming out until next Summer at the earliest, yet they've already taken preorders on three waves of these things, the latest of these not even showing up until the first quarter of 2024.

Shit I've been waiting on a Diamond Select Darkwing Duck action figure for well over a year, and so far all I've seen are digital mockups. Why reveal something to potential customers if you're going to potentially make them wait years for it?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:34 pm I miss the days when you didn't see a photo of a toy or action figure until there was some physical version of it to show off. Then at that point the wait for the release wasn't all that long.

Now with digital mock-ups companies can show off an upcoming item LONG before the production process even starts. The benefit is a long period of hype but the downside is just....why? Why are you making your customers wait that long? In Super 7's case not a thing is coming out until next Summer at the earliest, yet they've already taken preorders on three waves of these things, the latest of these not even showing up until the first quarter of 2024.

Shit I've been waiting on a Diamond Select Darkwing Duck action figure for well over a year, and so far all I've seen are digital mockups. Why reveal something to potential customers if you're going to potentially make them wait years for it?
I agree with missing the days of things being available in a timely manner after the announcement. Nintendo does it once in a while, but shit like Elder Scrolls 6 being announced like 6-7 years before it's out is just annoying more than anything. The "Now in Development!" announcements are useless if you ask me. Metroid Dread was a great example of announcing a project that would be available 4 months later and that game rules.

Super7's model of making the figures after the pre-order window closes and they know how many to make does lend itself to these longer wait times, but I don't get why it's happening with bigger companies like Hasbro. I'm pretty sure Mezco Batman 89 is approaching 2-3 years since it went up for order without a peep of an update.