Super Mario the Movie

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Super Mario the Movie

Post by Voyager »

we’ve seen some Mario kart, so it is a small possibility that we could see some Mario-Party elements. I’m thinking as a post-credit or during-credit scene.
For Emperor and Empire!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Our first clip. Mario's accent is slight but it's definitely there. Also, just as I hoped, they are incorporating Super Mario motifs into the actual score.

Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

... this movie is going to be huge.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pretty great. I love all the past and current references (Crazy Cap from Odyessy!). The music and the way it lines up with the action and atmosphere is perfect. I also love how the Mushroom Kingdom incoporates some of the absurdity of the Mario Videogame levels into it's atmosphere. This is great.

And yeah, Pratt sounds fine.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm still concerned over how much they're gonna try cramming into this movie.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I'll admit I almost got choked up with nostalgia when the Mario 64 music kicked in. I absolutely adore what they're doing with the score.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:57 pm I'll admit I almost got choked up with nostalgia when the Mario 64 music kicked in. I absolutely adore what they're doing with the score.
What's cool though is that right before the pipe entrance, a theme plays from one of the more recent mario games (SMG2 I believe) and I really enjoy that track. One thing that I like is that this isn't trying to be a "retro" mario, or a "new mario", sort of a mix-mash of all the stuff in a cohesive and fun manner, while still also clearly creating it's own identity.

I'd love it if we got a soundtrack of all the music from the movie. It's incredible.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Wow. They’re really doing this movie right, aren’t they? That’s awesome! It’s great to see a creative team who clearly understands a long running franchise get to make something so thoughtful and heartfelt.

And it’s awesome that you can already tell that just by the little tidbits they’ve show on us.

I personally love the MV (including KOTM and GvK), but can you imagine a Hollywood Godzilla film done with this kind of mindset and this much care?!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

https://twitter.com/supermariomovie/sta ... 5105684481

So how about this for a commercial? LOL!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:52 am https://twitter.com/supermariomovie/sta ... 5105684481

I absolutely love it, and have watched that a bunch of times since the airing.

For starters: clear nostalgia bait. But it's a good one! That's a call back for all the OLD fans who grew up seeing, or at least being aware, of the older mario cartoons. While they weren't fantastic, they were certainly a part of MARIO MADNESS in the 90s. It works well because it fits as an ad you'd see on TV. It also serves as a great way to introduce the brothers (for those who live under a rock).

Honestly there hasn't been a single image/clip from this film that I haven't loved. All of the animation looks fantastic, and has hit a very nice balance of "realistic" and cartoony. I'm glad that the movie seemingly will take some time to establish the brothers before throwing them into the crazy mushroom kingdom.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It's literally the Mario game models with a Hollywood sized budget. I hope this is good. I went from absolutely sour when I first heard of it, to legit excited. GVK levels of excited except here, I can expect a bit more than a good time.

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

This is the true Mario movie

Showa Goji best Godzilla

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

StardustGenius wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:52 am https://twitter.com/supermariomovie/sta ... 5105684481

It's a great homage to the Super Mario Brothers Super Show. :)
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Final trailer. Looks like they're literally pulling from ever aspect of the Mario franchise.

Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:12 pm Final trailer. Looks like they're literally pulling from ever aspect of the Mario franchise.

Honestly, I love the little bit with the Luma. I hope all the humor in the film isn't like that, but by itself it's pretty funny.

Fire Kong, another unexpected but cool thing.

That scene with Rainbow Road shows they can do really good action as well.

I've heard that a lot of people are a little worried about it being 90 mins, but pretty much everything we've seen is super fast paced and zany.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

A sequel is practically guaranteed. Since I've seen neither hide nor hair of them I think the Koopalings lead by Bowser Jr should be the primary antagonists of a second film.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The OST drops digitally today. It's already up on Spotify.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Took my kids to see this today. It was really fun. Exactly what a Mario movie should be.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Yeah I'm not going till next weekend. My mom and stepdad love animated films and are both pretty big Mario fans so they're coming up next weekend. Me and my sister are taking them and my cousin out to see it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:36 pm Took my kids to see this today. It was really fun. Exactly what a Mario movie should be.
I agree. I just hope the sequel gets a little more risky with what it apes/references. It feels very safe “first moviey” in a very safe way. There’s obviously a lot of ways that they can go with a sequel
Spoiler:
Wario, Bowser Jr., Koopalings, Yoshi…stuff from Sunshine/Galaxy
Good action, good fun, good music, not overly complex. Exactly how it should be.